Will a CAI Cause Damage to Hood Insulation? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Thereaper

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Will a CAI Cause Damage to Hood Insulation?

If you have a cold air intake, has it caused a wrinkled look to your hood insulation with the intake sealing against the hood?

I know this sounds like a stupid, irrelevant question, but I'm thinking about getting a CAI (Airaid, JLT, or Steeda.) I'm very picky and my car only has 2,800 miles on it and I didn't want to look at a damaged hood insulator.

Thanks for any help.

'14 Grabber Blue GT - Base 300A, Track Pack, Recaro seats - Mods: SCT X4, BBK long tubes and X-pipe, Roush axlebacks, MGW shifter, BMR LCAs and UCA w/ mount
'93 Reef Blue LX 5.0 - 5-speed, black interior, factory A/C delete - GT40P Top End, 5-Lug/4-Wheel Disc - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017
BOSS Member

Garage
The stock intake flows air better and won't hurt your hood.

crjackson2134 likes this.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member

on my 2012 V6 with an Airaid (bought used for sound only) I can see a line where the seal on the airaid that goes against the hood insulation but no real marks...fwiw I BELIEVE the occasional whistle I and others get is from the seal moving away from the insulation when the motor torques over.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrbrBlu View Post
If you have a cold air intake, has it caused a wrinkled look to your hood insulation with the intake sealing against the hood?

I know this sounds like a stupid, irrelevant question, but I'm thinking about getting a CAI (Airaid, JLT, or Steeda.) I'm very picky and my car only has 2,800 miles on it and I didn't want to look at a damaged hood insulator.

Thanks for any help.
Nice choices for CAI. Mine car is a 4.6, but the JLT hasn't cause any wrinkle in the hood insulation. If you decide to stay stock, would still recommend a good tune and a K&N filter.

Regards

DT

2010 GT Premium / Automatic / RapidSpec 401A Leather Interior / MMD Decklid Panel / MMD Classic Quarter Window Louvers / MMD Black Tail Light Trim / GT500 Splash Guards / GT Valve Caps / FRPP GT500 Brake Cooling Shields / FRPP-SVT GT500 Cooling Fan / Steeda LCAs / Whiteline Front Sway, RTR Rear / Whiteline Adj Panhard / Redline Hood Struts / JLT Oil Separator / JLT Series 3 Cold Air Intake / Pypes O/R X-pipe / Pypes Violators Axelbacks / Steeda UDP / Steeda CMDPlugs / Brenspeed Tune
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
The stock intake flows air better and won't hurt your hood.
I too have been saying this for years about cold air intakes, but lately I have been doing some research and thinking. I've found dyno results (not done by magazines) of cars with aftermarket tune/stock air box switching to a CAI and seeing gains of 8-10rwhp. Plus there's a few videos out there of cars with just a tune/intake/radials running high 11s.

The OEM air box/paper filter flows 748cfm and the OEM throttle body flows 913cfm. So the air box is restricting the throttle body around 165cfm and the good CAIs from around 1,100cfm; therefore using a good CAI gains 18% more usable air the OEM throttle body. The larger diameter intake tube has more air capacity and the cone filters has a lot more surface area than the air box panel filter.

There's also some good reading out there about the K&N replacement panel filter losing power compared to the Motorcraft paper filter on dyno pulls.

'14 Grabber Blue GT - Base 300A, Track Pack, Recaro seats - Mods: SCT X4, BBK long tubes and X-pipe, Roush axlebacks, MGW shifter, BMR LCAs and UCA w/ mount
'93 Reef Blue LX 5.0 - 5-speed, black interior, factory A/C delete - GT40P Top End, 5-Lug/4-Wheel Disc - SOLD
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt2010gt View Post
Nice choices for CAI. Mine car is a 4.6, but the JLT hasn't cause any wrinkle in the hood insulation. If you decide to stay stock, would still recommend a good tune and a K&N filter.

Regards
I currently have the FRPP Trackey tune and am using the supplied K&N filter along with a Airiad modular intake tube. I'm planning on buying a SCT X4 with somebody's tune and have been debating to do a CAI with the tune.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
I too have been saying this for years about cold air intakes, but lately I have been doing some research and thinking. I've found dyno results (not done by magazines) of cars with aftermarket tune/stock air box switching to a CAI and seeing gains of 8-10rwhp. Plus there's a few videos out there of cars with just a tune/intake/radials running high 11s.

The OEM air box/paper filter flows 748cfm and the OEM throttle body flows 913cfm. So the air box is restricting the throttle body around 165cfm and the good CAIs from around 1,100cfm; therefore using a good CAI gains 18% more usable air the OEM throttle body. The larger diameter intake tube has more air capacity and the cone filters has a lot more surface area than the air box panel filter.

There's also some good reading out there about the K&N replacement panel filter losing power compared to the Motorcraft paper filter on dyno pulls.
If that's what you believe and it's good for you then that's all that matters.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

You're right, it is good for me.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Will a CAI Cause Damage to Hood Insulation?

Quote:

How do you know that the "tunes" were the same for each run? We don't really.
The larger diameter tube might get more air in until the air reaches the throttle body but then it seems logical that it's get choked back down again to "stock volume" or whatever when it when it goes into the intake manifold since it isn't any larger than before. I pseudo get the filter surface area theory math but it doesn't seem like it really matters that much for the same reason mentioned above. What's better, no filter at all or a huge one? I once removed the conical stock replacement type K&N filter from the air box on my '95, as well as the air silencer and ran down the road a bit and I couldn't feel a difference either way better or worse. I also had a cai on it at one time and I couldn't feel a difference. Maybe the newer air-boxes are more restrictive than they used to be but I don't think I saw a gain on the dyno from the cai vs a k&n w the air silencer removed. I can't say for sure since there were other "mods" done too. I went from 205 to 223 rwhp after adding a cai, having the lower intake ported, and deleted two of the for cats and replaced the other two w "high flows" on the stock h-pipe and a re-tune that wasn't really needed. I don't think the cai gave 10 and the intake porting gave 8. The new "mods" were dynoed all at the same time but they were installed months apart and the only one that gave a seat of the pants gain was the lower intake. The cai was done afterwards the last thing done prior to the dyno. It was exhaust, intake manifold, and cai. There was zero seat of the pants feel from both the cai and high flow cats.
The n/a car made a little but not enough to make me want to spend $300 on a cai.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I can see both sides of this argument. At this point I'll do a new tune and put the CAI money towards the long tubes I want.

I know what you mean with the pushrod 5.0s. On my Fox, the previous owner had a cheap elbow tube and a universal cone filter on the MAF. Soon after I bought the car I ended up getting a CAI and felt no difference, not to mention the fitment was terrible. So when I did my GT40 top end swap I installed an OEM air box (without air silencer) and rubber tube - ran great through the stock stuff.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page