Your Thoughts on the 2018 Mustang ! - Page 22 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree287Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #316 of 377 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018 Thread Starter
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Ok guys here is my up to date thoughts on the 2018 model year Mustangs,2011-2014 are the best looking Mustangs along with 1965-1968 models.The 2014 Mustang model year was the last really affordable, best bang for your buck Mustang produced, in 2015 the Mustang styling went away from the American look and went Euro,in 2018 the $$$$ went WAY up,example Shadow Black 2018 Mustang GT $ 49,380.00,now Ford is going to bring back the Mustang Bullitt model Mustang, $$ yet to be determined,then the Shelby GT 500 model in 2019,HP and $$ yet to be determined,and then there is always that market adjustment, that the greedy Ford dealers add on.So my final thoughts on the 2018 Mustang/Shelby is Ford has priced the common man OUT of the market place,with a sporty car that was to be a fun and affordable.
5.0 Coyote

dusman59 and crjackson2134 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Garage
I just ready the Motor Trend comparo between the 2018 GT PP1 and 2018 Camaro 1LE. 1LE seems to handle a track WAY better than the GT PP1. And it was cheaper than the Mustang.

I may have to go test drive a 2018 Camaro. I usually lean towards Ford but love the sound of the 6.2 in the Camaro.

That 1LE ripped it around the track, embarrassing cars double its price.

5.0 Coyote likes this.

2010 GT Premium 5-speed w/ 3.73 - Acquired 08-2015

Pypes PypeBomb Axlebacks - MGW Shifter - BMR TCA032 LCA's - J&M Adj. UCA & Mount - BFG Comp 2 A/S - Powerstop Z26 Street Warrior Brake Kit -
Hoonigan & Rockstar Stickers (Worth 50hp right there)
BOSS Member

Garage
And here I thought this thread had finally been put to rest. I wonder... How many more times can the same complaints be rehashed?

BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGowland View Post
I just ready the Motor Trend comparo between the 2018 GT PP1 and 2018 Camaro 1LE. 1LE seems to handle a track WAY better than the GT PP1. And it was cheaper than the Mustang.

I may have to go test drive a 2018 Camaro. I usually lean towards Ford but love the sound of the 6.2 in the Camaro.

That 1LE ripped it around the track, embarrassing cars double its price.
Only about 5 percent of Mustang and Camaro owners actually track their cars so the Mustang is the better choice for the street. Go drive a 2017 Camaro
and you will see why I think the Mustang is the better street car.
Pete Grimaldi likes this.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
Only about 5 percent of Mustang and Camaro owners actually track their cars so the Mustang is the better choice for the street.
I didn't think the percentage was that high. If "track" times are the major focus of your car buying decision, there are better track cars than both the Mustang and Camaro.

Now to bring this back to the 2018 Mustang, my biggest complaint is the overall look. Seems way to European in design, sort of like a BMW. There are some interior design upgrades that I do like, but not enough to overcome the exterior (for me). Once I decided to buy a Mustang, I specifically went in search of the 13/14 because I like the look the best out of all the modern Mustangs.
5.0 Coyote likes this.

Steve

2013 Sterling Grey GT premium convertible
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
I didn't think the percentage was that high. If "track" times are the major focus of your car buying decision, there are better track cars than both the Mustang and Camaro.
True, but if you still need a measure of practicality (aka dual-purpose, which might include your commute or occasional weekend get-away uses) the options get fewer, and there aren't many at the Mustang/Camaro price point to begin with if you're looking at 'new'. On the other hand, it's pretty easy to overlook perceived shortcomings in exterior and interior design when those aspects are well down on your list of purchase priorities from performance and potential suitability for track driving.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
post #322 of 377 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018 Thread Starter
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

The BIG complaint for me is not only the looks of the 2018 Mustang,but when attending car events where Ford/Shelby attend,there big pitch speech is we are making our Mustangs AFFORDABLE, my question is to who,and out of the other corner of there mouth they want to get the young folks interested in there performance cars,at the inflated $$$$ there asking,how do they think this sport can surrive.
5.0 Coyote
SHELBY GT 350 Member

with the eco-boost......I know folks (esp older and 60 is the one for me to round to) it ain't a v8 but I think the v8 to eco is $10K.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Coyote View Post
The BIG complaint for me is not only the looks of the 2018 Mustang,but when attending car events where Ford/Shelby attend,there big pitch speech is we are making our Mustangs AFFORDABLE, my question is to who,and out of the other corner of there mouth they want to get the young folks interested in there performance cars,at the inflated $$$$ there asking,how do they think this sport can surrive.
5.0 Coyote
As to pricing, hopefully rich immigrants can afford to buy the cars new and the rest of us can pick them up used for a reasonable price in a few years. I just hope Richy Rich already supercharged mine so I don't have to go through all that again. I can hardly wait for my 2021 birthday. I might even be ready for a ten speed auto by then. So much to look forward to. Life is good in the mustang world indeed.

All the best.

2014 Gray Mustang

Last edited by UUUd444; 01-30-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
True, but if you still need a measure of practicality (aka dual-purpose, which might include your commute or occasional weekend get-away uses) the options get fewer, and there aren't many at the Mustang/Camaro price point to begin with if you're looking at 'new'.
Here at our local dealers;

Mustang GT and GT premium are priced between 36K and 51K depending on the options.

The Camaro SS are priced around 49K+

The Hemi Challengers also come in at 49K

Base Corvettes priced 47K to 51K.

So if one was going for something to take the track on a semi regular basis at 50K, there are options including some European models.

Now if you want to go with more affordable bolt on pieces, nothing beats the Mustang for getting bang for your buck.

If someone is serious about putting in track time, you step up to the 70K range and you end up with all sorts of interesting possibilities like a Z06.

Steve

2013 Sterling Grey GT premium convertible
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Your better track cars are going to be the Miata, FRS/BRZ/86, and Corvette, all of which come up a bit short in the practicality dep't.

The Challenger is in the right price range and has practicality in spades, but it's the wrong car. You'll see one from time to time (maybe even a Charger), but my money's on track day driving not being very high on the list of reasons those people would have had for buying it . . . if it made the list at all. Most hemis end up running in straight lines.

I can admit not knowing a whole lot about what imports would be available and suitable at this price point. Saw a Q50 out there once, which might mean that somewhere somebody will probably take most anything out.

$70K is a good bit out of my budget.

Norm
5.0 Coyote likes this.

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I do have to ? those saying the Mustang is practical......for a two seater it is OK but other than a kids safety seat idk how to get anyone in the back seat. I admit to having my seat far back @ 6'3" but I always though of my Stang as a 2 seater.

side note: for stupid mods folks do to GTI's.....rear wiper delete!?!? I put that just below headlight tints.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I do have to ? those saying the Mustang is practical......for a two seater it is OK but other than a kids safety seat idk how to get anyone in the back seat. I admit to having my seat far back @ 6'3" but I always though of my Stang as a 2 seater.
When my kids were young, no way I could of had a Mustang. Now that my oldest is in college, driving his own car, and my youngest is 12, a month shy of 13, I can finally have a Mustang. I can fit me, my wife, and my youngest in the car no problem. Youngest is behind mom though, not me. I'm also 6'3" and my seat is just about touching rear seat, so behind me sucks. Few years ago, no, my Mustang was not practical, but now it's not so bad. Also, last week I set up a display for work at a car show. I folded my rear seats down and loaded 2 folding tables, a big folding chair, a 10x10 canopy, a couple scissor style flyer holders, product samples, a big tote, and a few other things in my car, and still had room in passenger seat to pick my daughter up from grandma's after the show.
5.0 Coyote likes this.

2014 Mustang GT Premium 401a; "Now you can add Premium to your signature." - Thereaper

Last edited by Old Goat Ninja; 01-31-2018 at 04:50 PM.
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I do have to ? those saying the Mustang is practical......for a two seater it is OK but other than a kids safety seat idk how to get anyone in the back seat.
One of the tests I did when I was researching for my '08 was whether or not I could at least physically "sit behind myself". At the time I was probably 5-10, 175-ish, and the answer was that I could (just barely), with headroom being the limiting factor rather than knee, shin, or foot room. Larger people than me have sat back there, albeit for very short drives.

Getting the trunk to swallow more than a week's worth of groceries and miscellaneous department store purchases without having to fold the rear seat down is no big deal. Some time I'll have to put everything I put into the car for a track day into a pile and take a picture.

Norm
5.0 Coyote likes this.

'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
PONY Member

I am the same height as Norm at '5"10 but lighter at 140 lbs. I can sit in the back of my '14 GT, but like Norm headroom is skimpy. In any case I wouldn't care to spend a lot of time there. That said the Mustang's rear seat and trunk is infinitely better than the Camaro's. The Challenger is the best in that regard, but not all that much better than the Mustang's. My girlfriend and I have taken some road trips in the Mustang to New Orleans and to Road America for the Indy Car races and the trunk easily held everything we needed including folding chairs for the races. The back seat easily held our cooler and misc. other things. We found it to be a comfortable car for two adults and everything we needed. IMO GT is a very good descriptive term for the Mustang. For those with a competitive streak it really dosen't take all that much to make a Mustang into a fun and affordable track day or autocross car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page