Ford Mustang Forum banner

2011-2014 GT Very Little Price Differences

8K views 59 replies 21 participants last post by  KA06GT 
#1 ·
2011-2014 GT Very Little Price Differences

So as the title says I am looking at 2011-2014 GT's right now and they are first of all scarce and hard to find. Much harder than this used to be. Why lots of theories discussed on other threads like airbag recall and etc....

Anyway topic of this thread is does anybody else notice in their area the price for a 2011 GT is very close to the price of a 2014 GT. Why is this? Normally there is a 2-3K differnece between years in most cars and used to be this way in Mustangs. It seems now in Mustangs 2011 GT's and 2014 GT's all fall for the most part within a 5K range of each other and all mixed in.

What is going on? Thoughts?

#2 ·
In a way I agree. I just bought a 2014 in December and looked at a lot of cars. I think there is a slight jump between the 11/12 and the 13/14. But the delta is near or less than the delta between a premium and base. I think you can get a decent base 11/12 GT for under 20K, but if it's a 13/14 it will be more. There certainly aren't as many solid axle 5.0 S197s as other ranges of Mustang. I suspect if you specifically looked for another specific 4 year range it would be similar. I don't think they've lost value as hard as Mustangs used to either. Both the supply and price may be demand for the 5.0 cars. It isn't difficult to find 6-bangers and their prices make more sense. I also found that if there was a good looking car at a decent price you couldn't wait for the weekend to go look for it. They go fast. I think they pop up for sale as often as other cars, they just don't sit around on lots.

#3 ·
Popular car so people keep it and the follow up version is still a little polarizing for some in the market. I needed into the market again in 2015 after wrecking my 12 and I went ultimately with a 14 loaded auto. I was familiar with the car, it suited my purposes and, even though I liked the 2015, the price point was too high bc it was a new design at the time.

#4 ·
Yeah I am finding GT premiums in the 2011-2014 with less than 60K miles range for all years around 20-24K. Some 2014's cheaper than 2011's. haha

Yeah I sold my 2011 about 3-4 years ago for around 21K and now they seem to be selling for that or more. So prices don't seem to be falling at all. I mean for a hair more like 3-4K I could get a 2015 GT used... haha I am at a loss for what to do honestly.

Was hoping to get a 2011-2012 GT for around 16-18K before I started looking as I know the 13-14's are 20-25K. However I just find 2011-2014 all around the same price at 20-25K... haha CRAZY Makes this really hard...

I do know whatever I choose and buy the prices will start to fall right then as it always does... No matter what I buy I lose around 1-2K on it a year in value. haha It is like a curse.

A 2015 GT Premium is around 28K near me right now. Almost makes sense when you see 2011-2014's for around 24K.

The 4K diff between 2014 and 2015 is what I would expect. 4K for body motor change years and other years I expect around a 2K diff.... Just doesn't seem to be that way right now.

#6 ·
This thread makes me smile. The other week, on a day when it was 70 degrees around here, I took my 1800 mile (I don`t drive her much :)) `13 GT `vert out for a little drive. On a whim, I pulled into my local Ford dealer to look at a couple of GT500`s they had. The sales person looked my car over & said " NIce car you have there, but you know, these cars are not selling very well these days. I could talk to my manager & maybe get you a number in the low to mid teens for your car towards one of these GT500`s". I actually laughed out loud.

Reactions: LosAngelesGT
#8 ·
Haha I will personally give you more than low to mid teens for your car... hahaha That is just absurd for him to even say that even if he was joking... Dealers these days I feel like they don't think before they speak...

I have been casually looking for a 2012 GT for a couple years now. There are a few of them for sale around here (Massachusetts) but none so far that meet my wish list (Red Candy, Brembo, MT, Premium, fairly low mileage). The ones that are available are generally in the low 20's.

If I was willing to "settle" for a 2013 or 2014, I would have a lot more options; and yeah I have noticed that the prices are not much higher, if any higher, than 2012. Not sure what is going on there. Personally I just don't like the grille and hood of the 2013-2014 cars so that's why I'm holding out for a 2012.

Yeah it is crazy how scarce and well the 2011+ 5.0's are holding value. That is not like the Mustang past I know. If I still owned my 2011 I would be loving it, but since I don't and am looking for one I hate it. haha

I am also noticing especially listing my Boss tonight that Mustangs and especially Boss Mustangs seem to be sitting a good while. So not sure what is going on.

#7 ·
I have been casually looking for a 2012 GT for a couple years now. There are a few of them for sale around here (Massachusetts) but none so far that meet my wish list (Red Candy, Brembo, MT, Premium, fairly low mileage). The ones that are available are generally in the low 20's.

If I was willing to "settle" for a 2013 or 2014, I would have a lot more options; and yeah I have noticed that the prices are not much higher, if any higher, than 2012. Not sure what is going on there. Personally I just don't like the grille and hood of the 2013-2014 cars so that's why I'm holding out for a 2012.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote
#9 ·
I saw a 37K mile 11 GT premium last week selling for $16,500, the ad quickly disappeared. I see 14's under 20K now with increasing regularity, even saw a 2013 9500 mile GT500 loaded for 45K yesterday.

#11 ·
If that 2011 GT Premium was a manual I bet somebody snatched that up super quick. What a deal. Heck even if a auto I might have considered it at that price. Then the wife could have drove it some. haha

It's all about the seller. GT's will sit quite a while at $24K and Boss' will sit at $30+K. When the sellers are willing to deal a couple/few grand cheaper, the cars sell very fast. So, check every day and be ready to jump when the right car shows up.
Yeah pricing is key although for me if I owned a 2013-2014 I would price around 24-26 as I would want more than somebody with a 2011-2012. Although I figure my Boss is going to sit a little while as it is such a niche car and takes that right Mustang enthusiast to want it and pay for it.

#10 ·
It's all about the seller. GT's will sit quite a while at $24K and Boss' will sit at $30+K. When the sellers are willing to deal a couple/few grand cheaper, the cars sell very fast. So, check every day and be ready to jump when the right car shows up.

#12 ·
I bought a 2014 for far less than your thoughts of 24-26. A base 2011 is probably around 18K, a premium Track Pack low mileage 2014 may be 24. Sure ... some people will pay more if they find the perfect car they want. But I'm talking about realistic SELLING price, not ASKING price. When I talked to a seller that advertised a car at 24 and wasn't willing to deal on price, that car sat. When they sounded willing to deal, I usually couldn't make it there quickly enough to get the car. What I'm trying to say is, if you just look at the ads and ebay you're seeing cars that are not selling. If you track cars that actually sell, prices are lower and there is a difference between years and mileage.

#13 ·
True selling price and listing price are two different things and other than eBay it is near impossible to know what they are actually selling for as you never no how much somebody came down from their listing price.

Although I know a lot of dealers at least around here are going to Carmax "no haggle" pricing models.

#16 ·
Jay, seller AND buyer....
Nope, not the point I was trying to make. These cars tend to sell right around the book value, maybe slightly ($500) over. But, sellers seem to think there is something special about them and price them significantly higher. It's the sellers prerogative, but their ad will be up for a long time if they aren't willing to come down closer to book value. Most of the ads that you find hangning around are sellers that think they should get significantly over book. As much as we'd like to think that our 5.0s are magical devices that make them super valuable, they really sell around book just like any other car. If the seller is willing to deal close to book value, the cars sell quickly so you don't see those ads for long.

#19 ·
Right now in my local within 100 miles market there is a 2015 Mustang GT Premium with Track Pack option for $27,500 and then nearby there are 2011 GT Premiums for 23-24K. If I was looking for a Mustang under 30K it is a no brainer. Heck if I was looking for a Mustang around 25K it is a no brainer to jump up just a hair for the 2015 GT so I get a newer, faster, nicer interior, and WARRANTY for just around 3K more... haha So it just amazes me and makes me wonder are people buying the 2011's for this price and if so why not the newer 2015 for right at the same price?

I am looking to spend around 16-18 is why I am looking for a 2011ish car.

If my Boss 302 sells then 2015+ it is. haha

#20 ·
. . . there is a 2015 Mustang GT Premium with Track Pack option for $27,500 and then nearby there are 2011 GT Premiums for 23-24K. . . . it just amazes me and makes me wonder are people buying the 2011's for this price . . .
Maybe they aren't -- would be interesting to see how long those 2011's sit on the market; and/or how much they actually sell for

#24 ·
That is how I feel when I own one. Whatever year and trim I have does nothing, but drop.

What trim and year do you have?

#27 ·
Said it before and I'll say it again, "they can have my 197 when they pry it from my cold dead hands"

#28 ·
I should have been this way on my 2011 GT Premium with 401A package a few years ago... :(

#29 ·
I pried myself out of the cold dead hands of my last s197....and then bought a 2014 in 2015. It had very low miles and was fully loaded the way I wanted for 15K less than the advertised price off the lot just a few months earlier. This is as good as it gets in the market where I am, as the economy is pretty healthy, cost of living is stupid high, this isn't the most popular car around here and supply is low for those that do want it, especially when it's people like me that want fully loaded non-convertibles.

....and to whoever said the s550 is faster....it just isn't, at least in a straight line.

#30 ·
WOW 15K below the lot asking price that is CRAZY on a 30K car. I have heard people getting 15K off on 150K+ cars before, but they either had it way over priced or something happened for them to do 15K off. haha

Yeah I think that was me that said the 2015 GT is faster I think the 2015 GT is faster around corners for sure and also a little faster in a straight line from what I have researched. The 2013 Boss 302 like I have is supposed to be a hair faster in the corners and straight line then the 2015 GT's, but from my understanding the 2015 GT's are a small literary hair faster then the 2014 GT's. I could be wrong, but on paper that is what it looks like.

#32 ·
Sorry Mustanglife but you won't get any sympathy from me regarding your 2011 cuz that Boss you're driving now is just pure sex my Friend, a flat out awesome ride. Love that colour on the Boss too - really only the only car that should be allowed to use that colour :grin:
I have yet to find a '15 that will run with me, BadFast just eases away from the couple who have tried.
Also
If I won the lottery or a long lost Uncle left me a fortune that Boss would be in my garage next to my '14 - actually it'd be between my '14 and my GT350R.....damn and then where will I park the '14 GT500? Lol

Scott

#35 ·
End of the day it's still a Ford - so take care of it and drive it my Friend - in 30 years no one will care it had over 200K on it before it was restored - one of my fav quotes from the old Chicken Farmer " my cars are meant to be driven!" I bought my Track Pack in Oct of '15 - it goes away each winter and it had 9k kms on it - got a tick over 40k now......>:):laugh2:
It's just one of those cars that makes you wish your destination was just a little further down the road.
Scott

#39 ·
This post is bringing back great memories from December 2012 when I bought my 2012 GT. I had been on the lookout for an 2011/2012 GT with a manual transmission in my area (southeastern PA) for for about 8 months and was almost to the point of bagging the GT idea and settling for a V6. But for kicks I started looking around the country for cheaper GTs, figuring that as long as I factored in the flight out I could maybe make it work financially. Long story short is I had my eye on a candy red 2012 GT with 3,500 miles on it (somebody stopped making payments on it and it got repo'd duh.gif) at an Infiniti dealership down in North Carolina. They had it listed at $28k but it wouldn't sell so when they dropped it to $23k I called and said that I knew the car was well worth not only what they were currently asking but also what they originally had it listed for, but my max budget was $20k (which was true) so to keep my name and call me if the car continued to sit. A week later they called back and said the absolute best they could do was $21k but they would pick me up at the airport if I flew down, so a quick loan from the Bank of Mom & Dad later and I was on my way. Flew down with my girlfriend at the time, now wife, picked the car up, drove back and 107k miles into our life together I couldn't be happier.

Getting back to the OP, I'm continuously shocked at the price the 2011-2014s are bringing today, especially the 2011-2012s. For kicks I went to a dealer for an appraisal and their first offer was just under $13k, and that's with 107k miles on her! Craziness... Although not as crazy as the way Jeep Wranglers hold their value. Brand new 2016 Wrangler Unlimited with a hard top: $34k. 2012 Wrangler Unlimited with a hard top and 60k miles: $29k... wtf.gif

#43 ·
Let me get this straight you bought a 2012 GT in 2012 for 21K in NC? What options does your car have base or premium with leather? That is a insane deal if premium and still a great deal if base and I live in NC. haha What dealership just out of curiosity. haha I bought a 2011 GT Premium around that same time, but paid 28K for it here in NC... The 28K for a premium was still a ok deal as they were going for 27-30K. The one I bought was a GT premium with 401A and only 3000 miles.

I just got offered $18500 for my 2011 Roush stage 2 and I just cant pull that trigger. I would rather keep it for that money.
If interested in selling PM me and lets see if we can work out a little better offer. Also depends on where you are located.

I just took it in for it`s annual oil change. The nitwit "Tech" at Quicklane spilled over a quart down the side of the engine. I had a small puddle on the garage floor. rant3.gif
Current mileage ia 1748.5 :)
Only 1748.5 miles?!?!?!? Why and how are you not driving it? I do that about every week or so and I have a Boss 302. haha

Kenv,

Good luck ever selling it if you let it go over two thousand.....no market for high milers these days.

I hope someone is reusing your brand new old oil. And the filter as well.

Did they try to charge you for the external lube job they gave your engine? Someone should have to pay for that quart.

Happy Easter
˄ Now this was funny. haha

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just an update.
-2011-2012 GT under 50K miles 22-24K
-2013-2014 GT under 50K miles 23-25K
-2015+ Eco 20-23K
2015+ V6 18-20K
2015+ GT 25K+

So as you can see in my area prices are really starting to blend very closely from 2011-2016+. Something never really seen before. haha

#40 ·
Aren't dealer offers for your car just a joke? But it must work some times for them. I've had several family members tell me the same, "I was at a dealership and they said they really NEED used cars like mine so they'll give me a great trade in offer." Of course, the offers are absolute rubbish every time.... But some people must be buying into their act or they wouldn't keep doing it.

Used Mustangs go pretty cheap around here for the most part. Maybe because when the 15's came out there were so many 14's still available. A few dealers here bought dozens from the factory, consecutive VIN numbers and blew them out in early 2015. Got mine new two years ago next month and, with extras as listed (and more) all purchased brand new, I'm still under US $30,000.

The V6 sells for way less here. Maybe for the same money a person could buy one, add an alluminator coyote and blower and a few suspension mods and sell the six motor to offset and have a really great car for the same money as one of the high priced GT's? Just an idea.

#42 ·
Kenv,

Good luck ever selling it if you let it go over two thousand.....no market for high milers these days.

I hope someone is reusing your brand new old oil. And the filter as well.

Did they try to charge you for the external lube job they gave your engine? Someone should have to pay for that quart.

Happy Easter

#44 ·
Ha!, the manager at Quick lane apologised & offered to do "some house cleaning " on the car & retrain the employee.... My son is always eyeing the car & says he can`t wait for it to be his (meaning I have to croak) I gave him my `99 Cobra `vert, but now that`s not good enough.

I told him that I was leaving the `13 to my pug Rocky. An hour later, my son came in & said " Dad, I just saw Rocky pack his toys & bones & run off toward the landfill"...........Ha Ha dissapointed.gif

#52 ·
This is what you got it for or one you see for sale? That is a smoking deal depending on mileage and if it is a premium with leather. haha

I could prob get what I paid for 2yrs ago
paid 25 000 cnd
2012 gt vert candy and comfort
Maybe and should be able to. I will have to also say I have seen so many pictures of your car I could build you an ad. It seems every post you post on the site you throw in a couple pictures of your car in an attachment. haha Surprised the site hasn't made you pay for storage space yet. :wink: Not to mention you have 1 in your signature. hahaha :grin:

#55 ·
Yes, totally clean Carfax!

Holy smokes! I just found the window sticker online:

Explanation and picture of Ford Window Sticker

401a equipment group
Electronics package with nav
Dual zone AC
3.73 limited slip
comfort package
heated seats
heated mirrors
19 in. wheels
Shaker Pro Audio

Damn! I guess the 5 hour ride to go pick it up was more worthwhile than I thought! :grin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.