Ford Mustang Forum banner

First coyote, need mod suggestions

3K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  2012bigredstang 
#1 ·
So I'm coming from the foxbody years, and just purchased a 2014 brembo with 373's. I have a set of super44 axle back coming and a mgw shifter. The car still has almost two years and 30k left of the powertrain warranty. What can I do without voiding the warranty that I can't just put the OEM back on if need be. I'd like to get rid of the resonators, I am looking at the borla 2.75 or the hearttrob 3in over the axle kits. I have emmision so I'm leaving the cats alone. How about a tune and cold air intakes, and maybe throttle body? Thanks for any suggestions and how much hp can I gain from bolt ons. I'm going to go the supercharger route after warranty is up.

#2 ·
Mikiemopa@gmail,Welcome to AFM,as for MODS I would say you are safe from the CATS back on your exhaust set up,as far as the tune,throttle body,cold air intake,I would wait till your warranty has expired then you can add your S/C and what ever else you want.Some dealers are really strict and some more forgiving with the warranty and mods,but it still all boils down to Fords final word,good luck and have fun with your Mustang,keep us posted.
5.0 Coyote.:nerd:

#3 ·
Ya I'm leaning towards just the shifter and cat back for, maybe a k&n filter, then just do the sc upgrade that will require the rest of the stuff I'm looking at. Am I going to be ok with resonators delete, and I've been seeing mixed reviews on the hearttrob 3in kit, as far as quality and people saying about any 3in kit you can have clearance problems, bc at some point I'm going to put prokit springs on. Is 2.75in exhaust enough evening with a small supercharger, say 650hp.

#4 ·
I would get the suspension done first. What suspension mods you do depend on what you are going to use it for.

I lowered the car 1.5", put in new shocks and struts, Watt's link, LCA's and relocation brackets, rear sway bar, and adjustable camber plates.

As far as eliminating the resonators, make sure the exhaust you go with doesn't become unbearable with out the resonators. Ask around on the forum, plenty of different setups around here. Personally, I did the GT500 axle backs with the resonator deletes and the car sounds awesome.

Reactions: scott9050
#5 ·
Neighsayer had really good points. Suspension is, relatively speaking, a fairly inexpensive change in the scheme of things overall. And here's the thing....every time you drive the car you get a benefit out of the mods. I had about the same starting point as you do with the Brembo 2014 GT. Did the suspension immediately pretty much because I didn't like the floating 'luxury car' drive the car comes with so that it can appeal to the many. Also, my car had pretty bad wheel hop. Very rewarding to fix that up, in my opinion.

Next I went SCT X4 and tune (BAMA). It made me feel like I was trying and moving forward but I think I would have enjoyed axle backs more. Again, a sensory delight are the axle backs. EVERY time you get behind the wheel. Since most are straight bolt on could I suggest bolting them on before you delete the resonators? I still have the resonators and wouldn't ever want more volume from my exhaust than I have now. If you need more, you can always delete later.

+1 for Ford's GT500 axle back. I got the quads because I really like the quad look. Easy install of valance and axle backs. Great sound.

The cold air intake, if you get one, may well be a throw away depending on the supercharger you pick. And, from most accounts, they add little power. The do look cool and make a nice noise but the money you spend on it means you take longer to supercharge?

Superchargers are really fun. If your car is a daily driver, however, there are lots of trips where you don't really even use it. Nice to know it's there, though.

Have a good time. I wish you happy mustanging. I'm hoping they start producing 2014's again as they are really just that much fun. I sometimes get a bit sad thinking about all the people who may never own one.....

All the best.

#7 ·
I would highly suggest to get those resonators removed especially for those GT500 quads...

Because they would sound better!!!! But that just me... :)

Reactions: CDN5.0
#6 ·
Don't waste your money on a cold air intake yet - a K&N panel filter will work just as well until you go blower - and no warranty issues.
Rear lowers and an upper control arm, springs and a good adj pan hard bar are my next mods as I've already done the shifter and filter.

Scott

#9 ·
I will have to look into springs, i usually would get the eibach prokit set, any reason i just cant cut the bar shorter and weld it back up instaed of getting the adjustable one. So i went to the exhaust guy today, and got the resonators delete. They didnt look as restrictive as many have stated, but the h-pipe does. So a order a after cat x-pipe. My flowmaster were supposed to be here today, as this morning i removed the factory ones, but they sent me the wrong set, for a completely different vehicle. Im wondering y everyone is recommending the gt500 set, ive always been a flowmaster guy, but didnt go with the 10s bc i didnt want really loud, i want that nice flowmaster sound. Also was looking at a bama tune after i get all this stuff on. Probably just going to go with a k&n until the sc upgrade, but my 373 have me worried about the sc upgrade.

#10 ·
Hey there.. as another old Fox buy stepping into a Coyote I can understand where you are.

Most recommend the GT500 mufflers with the resonator delete because of the extremely loud raspy sound you get with a freer flowing, non-baffled muffler. These sound great, but different, more European V-8 with rasp. Depending on what flowmasters you go with, and if the resonators are removed or not you WILL be LOUD, and raspy.

Personally.. (as an old 2 chamber flowmaster, big cam, and straight H Fox guy), I have settled (from videos) that a non-modified exhaust with Flowmaster Outlaws will give the closest I have heard to our old sound (including the drone). I have yet to hear a resonator delete GT500 in car, but I am thinking it will be close too. With no resonator delete on GT500s to me they sound terribly quiet though.

In my research most people will swap back to stock (or near) after supercharging, and of course be careful as the rods are the weak point, and can fail randomly in most boosted beyond 550 hp, so something I think I am ruling out as I want another high mileage DD Mustang.

Gearing.. yeah everyone seems to go back to 3.31 or at most 3.55 when blown, and worth noting this engine spins up much higher than our old one, but also the trans is way different so to my understanding a 3.73 in this car is much like a 4.12 or higher in a FOX. Once you throw on a tune I'm seeing you will have a hard time hooking up in any gear below 4th WOT if running a 3.73.

Not sure if this helps, and please guys if I am wrong anywhere here please correct.

#11 ·
So i put a after cat x pipe on, delete the resonators and put the super44 kit on. I like it, a little louder then i would of thought, a little popping at deacceleration. As for as suspension, im not really looking to go all in, this is just a daily/pleasure driver. I would like to close up the wheel wells a little, im looking at the eibach prokit, as this is what i would put on my foxbodiex and my 98 cobra, and was thrill with the stance. Not looking to stiffen the ride to much, let here your thoughts. Thanks guy and girls

#12 ·
Eibach Pro kit is a good choice, 1.0 front and 1.5 rear drops, good sway bars as well. Eibach makes sways and springs for other companies, like Steeda and SR, though not all are made to the same specs. Solid choice. Real important for ride comfort will be the bump stops/jounce stops and the shock choice. Most recommend Koni Orange or Bilsteins, in that order, for ride comfort FWIW.

I went with Whiteline sways and panhard bar and can't say enough good things about them and their customer service. Jesse at Whiteline is on left coast time, and sometimes a little slow, but has replied to my every question with solid info and helped me very quickly with a warranty issue on one bushing. Their panhard bar is awesome and I am thinking very heavy about using their springs. I went RTR for the rear bar, which is made by Whiteline. Wife got it off eBay missing some hardware as a Christmas present for me. RTR still has yet to answer any contact I have made, but Whiteline told me what was missing and I was able to source on the net.

Outside the fact that I am now a big Whiteline fan, if I bought parts again I might have bought more Ford Racing parts (springs and sways being made by Eibach...) just to say my car has all stock parts. But my LCAs are Steeda and I love them. A friend went Steeda springs and sways and they are awesome too.

So my suggestion to you is Eibach, Whiteline, Ford Racing, or Steeda unless you want to drop some serious coins and go Cortex.

But one mod I am thinking of for next year is wheels and tires. Wish I had done this sooner. Big impact on handling and appearance... Found some Ford Racing wheels I like and am thinking about going BF Goodrich all seasons or Michelin Pilot Super Sports all seasons - daily driver here, no garage queen or saving her for the next owner. As Carroll Shelby said, "These cars are meant to be driven."

#13 ·
Don't waste money on a K&N filter, they don't help.
If you want to keep your warranty, you're looking at suspension mods, axleback or catback exhaust (won't help power but sounds good), minor weight reduction, good wheels and tires.
The only thing you can really do to gain power and maintain full warranty is a PMAS no tune intake. This is the only no-tune intake that includes a recalibrated MAF sensor (the rest just choke the tube down where the maf is, killing any gains).

Once you tune the car, you can pretty much guarantee that Ford will try to deny any major engine warranty work.

#18 ·
Turns out PMAS stole many of JLT's design - like the air box, which is a COMPLETE rip off. Hate to see that sort of stuff. Shelby was buying JLT oil separators and then had Silver Horse copy the JLT and stamp their name on it, and Silver Horse made some with their own logo too.

Don't buy the PMAS. Wait and then add the JLT with a tune down the road.

#21 ·
Yes. As are Ford Racing, Eibach, Steeda, and Koni. If it's a street car you can go with whichever of these is cheapest and be just fine. However matching spring & shock brands may be a good idea.

#15 ·
If you go to Steeda's site the pro action shocks/struts are on sale for really cheap. I want to get Koni yellows, but this price is very tempting...

#20 ·
JLT's intake flows just as well according to Revolution Auto (one of the top tuners in the US). Check this out:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.