Ford Mustang Forum banner

GT500 axleback with resonator delete vs roush axleback

7K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  freewayflyer 
#1 ·
Which is louder?

#4 ·
My cousin has a 14 gt with the Roush axle backs, I have the GT500 axle backs with the resonator deletes. The roush is louder.

#6 ·
I know your biased since you have the gt500's but objectively, do you think the Roush sounds good?

The Roush is louder, raspy and a little tinny sounding. My neighbor's GT500 sounds only a little less loud, is lower pitched, meaty, healthy, and then when you get on it it makes the hair on your arms stand up. IMHO the GT500 is far better. There is even talk that the GT500 makes a little more power.
I didn't know ANY axlebacks would add any sort of power. My only concern with the GT500 exhaust is that some people claim it's barely different from stock. I don't need something obnoxiously loud, but I definitely want a nice rumble at idle and insanity at WOT

#5 ·
The Roush is louder, raspy and a little tinny sounding. My neighbor's GT500 sounds only a little less loud, is lower pitched, meaty, healthy, and then when you get on it it makes the hair on your arms stand up. IMHO the GT500 is far better. There is even talk that the GT500 makes a little more power.

#10 ·
Here is my car with the GT500 mufflers and the resonators deleted. Some of the pops actually max out the GoPro's mic a little. I think it really sounds good starting roughly the 2:45 mark (I think), I pull out on the main road and it it.

Here is after the ProCharger install. You can definitely hear some popping when coming off-throttle!

And just for fun, my car making noise on the dyno!

#12 ·
Here is my car with the GT500 mufflers and the resonators deleted. Some of the pops actually max out the GoPro's mic a little. I think it really sounds good starting roughly the 2:45 mark (I think), I pull out on the main road and it it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj9jfOCpHm4&t=65s

Here is after the ProCharger install. You can definitely hear some popping when coming off-throttle!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE_66hOSCkk

And just for fun, my car making noise on the dyno!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_ncn-BwhhI
They sound great. Are they loud enough for you, can you hear it in the cabin? The second video drive by didn't sound too loud but I understand camera's don't usually do the exhaust note any justice compared to being there in person.
How much did the resonator delete cost you? Could any old muffler shop do it?
Thanks!

#15 ·
I thought California had some noise restrictions. My FRPP's are only 49 state legal.

#16 ·
Been pulled over countless times back when I had the 03 with catbacks, and while riding with friends who had modified exhausts. The cops never even asked about the noise level, all they cared about was if the cats were intact and any exhaust mods were from the cat, back -- not ahead of it.

#22 ·
Ahhh!! Went to go add the GT500 axlebacks to the cart on AM and all these reviews are making me second guess my decision:

"these are great , had a Roush straight thur previously and the drone sucked at freeway speeds. these have NO drone at any speed sound great( may be a little too quite) but you can't have it both ways had to trim about an inch off of one of the hangers to get to fit , but that did not effect anything else. i would buy these again"

"The tone is great. Love to drive my stang better than before. Wife could not tell the difference from the factory one. Great sound love going through the gears."

"I originally purchased the Roush mufflers, but I found them too loud. I sold the Roush and purchased the GT500 mufflers. They are perfect. Nice tone, good fit and finish. The Roush had nicer tips but you get what you pay for. I recommend these mufflers."

Such a tough decision. I don't want raspiness but all the reviews for the Roush so they sound deep and throaty. I want to be able to hear the exhaust even when just cruising, just not in an overbearing way.

#23 ·
Have you done any sound comparisons on YouTube? If not then you should.

I know it's not the best way but it really does help and give you a decent idea of the difference.

#25 ·
Just my 2 cents for what it's worth....

I did the resonator delete before adding anything, just to see what the difference was. about $100. Was a little deeper but not drastic. About a month later added the GT500. Like others have said, noticeably louder at cold start up but dies down at idle. I did this once when I had new neighbors moving in and the guy made this face like "oh great" until I pulled the car out and then he smiled.

They are definitely louder than stock but not overly loud. Until you really get on it then they really wake up. This is what I like most about them. Quieter on cruise, can still have normal conversations in cabin until you get on it that is. :) The tone also seemed to get deeper over time. Have had them on about 2 years and wouldn't change them. People at work always tell me that they can tell when I leave and I don't even get on it.

I get compliments all the time (from all car brands) about the tone. One camaro guy I raced at the track said he loved the sound. The other day I had to take her in to get airbag thing finally replaced. When I started it up, to move it, three of the shop guys came around the corner. That's what I like.

Just put on some LT's about a month ago and now it sounds perfect. Low muscle growl that sounds like a racecar at WOT. Perfect.

Suggestion...go with GT500's.....if you don't like them or they aren't enough....you can get your money back by selling to another Mustang guy as they are well liked.

#27 ·
The GT500s also get louder over time. I've got about 60K miles on my GT500s. I get compliments on them on a regular basis. They sound great, but not obnoxiously loud, ie no unwanted constabulary attention. :grin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.