Ford Mustang Forum banner

My new Coyote ... and thank you to all of you!

2K views 29 replies 23 participants last post by  2012bigredstang 
#1 ·
My new Coyote "Jolie" ... and thank you to all of you!

Hello everyone, I have finally joined the "club"... picked up my new (to me) Coyote this past Saturday, and I am in complete love. It is a 2013 Deep Impact Blue GT base model.

Yes, the audio system is flat awful, and yes I do miss the electronics, but WOW what a car. I ended up going for more car, and less "stuff", and guys the way that day started out... very bad.

Basically (in my price range I was very limited), I had locked on to the 2011 Black Cali Special as the red Brembo had sold. For as many Mustang GTs out there so many are junk. Anyway I get to the dealer who has the car and the bumper has fresh damage, and (oh you are not even ready for this) upon cold start (sitting for a week) the engine has a LOUD tick/clack. I inquire and they proceed to tell me that the engine has been rebuilt (62k miles). That their local shop did it... that there is a problem with all 11's and the engines have to all be rebuilt. WOW, LMAO. I sit with the owner and go over TSBs, demand the paperwork as I am an old service writer. He says he produce, I leave.

Now it is Sat late morning, I am ready to buy, the car I was going to buy is now junk. I start scanning cargurus.. I find a beautiful 13 blue GT 20 miles away, just listed a couple days ago. Looking it is a stick, and uggh a base, and uggggghhhh light gray cloth interior, but the price is strong. It is at a Cadiallac dealer so I call them. The salesman is very good, straight, no BS, says it is there, I tell him I am on the way.

We (family and I) get there and the dealership is huge, the car... gorgeous. The cloth really is not THAT bad, I know I can leather it. Drives like a dream, and oh WOW how clean it is, it looks new, smells new, 51k miles. The only thing and I mean the ONLY thing is small rock chips. Interior, perfect.

Thinking on this I'm realizing this car has been traded into a Cadillac dealer (likely for a Cadillac), it is bone stock, it is VERY well kept, the oil change sticker was Hennesey Lexus, the radio stations were oldies... this car is perfect!

Of course my daughter had to ride home in the Mustang with me, any pull was the biggest giggle, and she has named the car "Jolie" (Jo-lee)... which means pretty in French. Backstory is the 93 built FOX she rode home from the hospital in at birth, and grew up in the back seat of for 12 years she also had named way back then. It was a Reef blue 5.0 she named "pretty" as a young child, so it fits.

I'm gonna have lots of questions as I go, and am so appreciative of you all. I am fine with the 3.31 gear atm, seems to be the perfect DD, really don't think I would have liked 3.73 as much. This clutch engagement is a bit of challenge for some reason to get smooth with, and no question a MGW is going in soon as I do not like the feel (well lack of) of the shifter. Wondering if the spring people have pulled out of the clutch would help. Granted it has only been a few days, but I am usually silk smooth with any clutch. Managed 331,000 miles on my stock T5 fox with 2 clutches only.

Here are some pics... Flowmaster Outlaws due here in 2 days :wink:

Guys this thing is beautiful, I am so in love.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Very nice. I remember well opening up the V-8 at the earliest possible moment after driving off the lot. And now for you I would think, the modifications begin. Enjoy your car.

#3 ·
congrats....

however, if I was in sales I would program all the pre-sets to oldies. :surprise:

afternoon job to swap out the 4 base model speakers. You won't have base but them kazoos do not rock. I'll suggest running power for an amp at the same time. I plan on adding a high level input powered sub this year and If I had run power when I replaced my speakers......

good luck with the new ride

Jim

#6 ·
First OP congrats on the purchase of the 5.0. I know with a few personalization changes you will love it for years to come.

however, if I was in sales I would program all the pre-sets to oldies. :surprise:

Jim
hahahaha Exactly my thoughts when I read that. I swear car sales people must think all of us buyers are dumb. They always answer the question of: "what can you tell me about the previous owner who traded in?" with it was an older couple and they just wanted brand of dealership mustang is at's XYZ model because it was reasons XYZ and more partial for them... Heck I got a off hair one time and traded my 2011 5.0 after 2 years of ownership in for a 2011 SLK 350. I went back a couple days later for a service appt. and while waiting on my SLK to be done was walking the lot and stopped by to "say hello" to my old car. A salesperson was quick to get outside and talk. I decided I was bored and would play along. Talked about my old 2011 5.0 and asked what he could tell me about the car and previous owner just to see what they would say about me. I was surprised that the guy with a straight face and confidently said it was traded by an older couple who said the car was to harsh for them and they wanted a luxury car. hahaha Keep in mind at the time my wife and I were under 30... haha I like the OP look for things like station presets, but often wonder if the dealers preset them to things they think will help.

#8 · (Edited)
Tune it and you will love it even more. I love the base model, I wanted a muscle car not a luxury one and I intended to go the blower route when paid off which it is. These days base means PW, PDL, PM etc. It isn't like the old Fox days when base means roll up windows and no AC. Congrats on the new car.

#9 ·
Hello everyone, I have finally joined the "club"... picked up my new (to me) Coyote this past Saturday, and I am in complete love. It is a 2013 Deep Impact Blue GT base model.

Yes, the audio system is flat awful, and yes I do miss the electronics, but WOW what a car. I ended up going for more car, and less "stuff", and guys the way that day started out... very bad.

Basically (in my price range I was very limited), I had locked on to the 2011 Black Cali Special as the red Brembo had sold. For as many Mustang GTs out there so many are junk. Anyway I get to the dealer who has the car and the bumper has fresh damage, and (oh you are not even ready for this) upon cold start (sitting for a week) the engine has a LOUD tick/clack. I inquire and they proceed to tell me that the engine has been rebuilt (62k miles). That their local shop did it... that there is a problem with all 11's and the engines have to all be rebuilt. WOW, LMAO. I sit with the owner and go over TSBs, demand the paperwork as I am an old service writer. He says he produce, I leave.

Now it is Sat late morning, I am ready to buy, the car I was going to buy is now junk. I start scanning cargurus.. I find a beautiful 13 blue GT 20 miles away, just listed a couple days ago. Looking it is a stick, and uggh a base, and uggggghhhh light gray cloth interior, but the price is strong. It is at a Cadiallac dealer so I call them. The salesman is very good, straight, no BS, says it is there, I tell him I am on the way.

We (family and I) get there and the dealership is huge, the car... gorgeous. The cloth really is not THAT bad, I know I can leather it. Drives like a dream, and oh WOW how clean it is, it looks new, smells new, 51k miles. The only thing and I mean the ONLY thing is small rock chips. Interior, perfect.

Thinking on this I'm realizing this car has been traded into a Cadillac dealer (likely for a Cadillac), it is bone stock, it is VERY well kept, the oil change sticker was Hennesey Lexus, the radio stations were oldies... this car is perfect!

Of course my daughter had to ride home in the Mustang with me, any pull was the biggest giggle, and she has named the car "Jolie" (Jo-lee)... which means pretty in French. Backstory is the 93 built FOX she rode home from the hospital in at birth, and grew up in the back seat of for 12 years she also had named way back then. It was a Reef blue 5.0 she named "pretty" as a young child, so it fits.

I'm gonna have lots of questions as I go, and am so appreciative of you all. I am fine with the 3.31 gear atm, seems to be the perfect DD, really don't think I would have liked 3.73 as much. This clutch engagement is a bit of challenge for some reason to get smooth with, and no question a MGW is going in soon as I do not like the feel (well lack of) of the shifter. Wondering if the spring people have pulled out of the clutch would help. Granted it has only been a few days, but I am usually silk smooth with any clutch. Managed 331,000 miles on my stock T5 fox with 2 clutches only.

Here are some pics... Flowmaster Outlaws due here in 2 days :wink:

Guys this thing is beautiful, I am so in love.

Sweet ride!!!!

#10 ·
Drive by wire will be much different than the old Fox body. You will get the clutch down with some miles. Glad you finally found a good one. :grin:

#11 ·
Congrats and welcome to the madness!
Nice colour

Scott

#12 ·
Bonito Coche - You won't regret it.

#13 ·
Nice ride. CAI or not, I would suggest a tune (Brenspeed is a good choice, as are Lund, VMP, Steeda) and Barton or UPR shifter in near future. The combination will take the delay out of the throttle response, as well as make the car even more fun to drive. If the clutch is still a challenge, a stainless steel line might help.
Congrats

Reactions: freewayflyer
#16 ·
Congrats to you man!!! Beautiful color too. Hope she's a good runner for you. I get excited every time I get in mine. I also have a reef blue 93', in resto mode now. Good times.

#17 ·
Looks nice. You'll get used to the shifting. I still want a new shifter, but not as badly as when I first bought the car.

#18 ·
Thanks guys, and oh yes am I enjoying her. Amazing car in many ways.. to have a mustang handle like this stock is quite astounding, extremely solid car. This is now the 4th day lol and I think I have put on nearly 350 miles. The shifting and clutch is getting better for me, much smoother, but still not a huge fan. Thinking about it what bugs me is the vagueness. I like direct contact, the feel of that contact in it's rawness, but this it seems they built for the masses that grew up on video games, they like the disconnect.

Some I think is partly the lack of immediate throttle response which as some said the tune will help, which brings me to a question.

Who to use? I've gone through the threads but still am unsure. I was leaning towards MPT and actually contacted them through facebook. I was kinda shocked when he said he wasn't sure what I could expect with a tune on a stock car as mostly they do more modded coyotes. I have heard great things about VMP.. I am assuming this is not a "canned" tune you would get through AM, but going to VMP directly? I also reached out to Lund, and am waiting on a message back from John. Of course the ease of a Bama "canned" tube is always tempting but don't think I'd feel ok without knowing how lean I was running.

I really need some guidance. What is the real deal with adding a CAI to a 13? ... heat extractor issues? Is it even worth it as I am not doing cat back atm? What about the tuners? ... especially now vs 2-4 years ago, who knows who is tuning now vs then.

Have you guys pulled your clutch spring (or swapped to the steeda lighter)? I've heard it improves feel, but was old threads.

Lastly for now lol.. I have tiny paint chips in various places what has the group found to be the best thing for taking care of these. I would normally have one of my touchup guys I used to deal with go over the car but wondering about other options.

#29 ·
I do suggest a tune from Brenspeed, Lund, Steeda, or VMP. Not a fan of AM after my last experience - and Bama tunes have proven problematic for many on this site, not all, (Just do a search) whereas Brenspeed, Lund, Steeda, VMP 0 issues.

Yes, a tune will improve throttle response. Give Brenspeed a call and they will answer the phone and your questions...

I would not worry about a CAi yet on your car. After warranty if you are going to do more engine mods would be the time to go here. If so, PMAS, JLT, and Steeda seem to make the most power increase in support of other mods - though talk your tuner as they will have an idea of what CAI has worked best for them. (Tuners are a great source of info on what works and what does not.)

Hope this helps.

Reactions: CDN5.0
#19 ·
Glad to hear that you found what you wanted. As I said in an earlier post when you first inquired about buying a Coyote powered Mustang I think it's more important when buying a used car to find the cleanest, most un-modified one possible along with a well documented service history unless you know the original owner really well and have a thorough knowledge of how it was maintained and used then it is to get a specific option package. Getting the options you want is certainly a nice bonus, but not really essential since a lot of things like shocks, struts and brake pads/calipers are wear items that will have to be replaced at some point anyway if you keep the car long enough. I have a base '14 GT manual transmission car that I bough new a few months before the new S550's came out. This along with my grandson being a salesman for the dealer network made for a pretty decent price. I've made a few mods, but nothing that would void the factory warranty. It does take time to get used to the combination of "fly/drive by wire throttle" and the hydraulic clutch, especially on heel and toe downshifts. I did replace the factory clutch assist spring with one from Steeda and it does help a bit. It's not a night and day difference, but for the price it's probably worth doing. Be careful when removing the factory spring using Steeda's instructions, it's very easy to break the centering pin on the plastic upper spring cup. I've got a pretty fair amount of mechanical experience and I still managed to break mine [ as have several other people ] when I changed mine out. Ford DOSEN'T sell this part separately, but Steeda is looking into making a replacement. Fortunately there are ways of repairing the broken part. "Tunes" can certainly help with throttle response, but aftermarket ones MAY void the powertrain warranty. The Procal tune from Ford is an exception. I bought a Ford Racing Track Key for my '14 which has the virtue of being instantly reversible, but unfortunately for you is only available on the '14's with a manual transmission. Procal and the track key have similar characteristics and do sharpen up throttle response on both tip in and off throttle. These cars do suffer from wheel hop under hard acceleration. This can usually be corrected with aftermarket rear lower control arms. I have a BMR adjustable Panhard bar with poly bushings and J&M lower control arms also with poly bushings. The panhard bar didn't result in any additional noise/sound transmission, but the lower arms did make a slight, but noticeable increase in normal bearing sounds. I don't have any personal experience with aftermarket CAI systems. I am skeptical about their ability to increase power on their own. I think any power increases are probably due to the tune that generally is done at the same time. My Track Key came with a K&N filter and I can't tell any difference between it and the standard paper filter. I should also say that I haven't done any objective testing [ ie. dragstrip or dyno ] either. I do think that a well maintained quality paper filter does a better job of keeping really small particles out of the engine. I use an oil catch can and think it helps keep oil vapors from entering the intake track which in turn keeps the intake valves cleaner and helps to maintain the octane rating of the fuel. There are several on the market, I think that Bob's is one of the best designed and constructed and is the one I use. As for rock nicks, you can get touch up paint from the dealer or get some Dupli-Color from a parts store. If you can get a body shop or an autobody supply store to mix up a small amount for you that might be best. Happy motoring.

#21 ·
Wow XRacer thank you for the detailed post and info. I wasn't aware of the ProCal tune, and as I do have a touch of warranty left (and honestly want engine safety but improvement) this might the best way to go. How exactly does it work.. you register with Ford and they send a basic canned tune? Or do you have to have it dealer installed?

Did they ever post/report/test gains?

#23 ·
I had a rather extended conversation with the techs at Ford Racing [ now known as Ford Performance ] prior to buying my Track Key. Based on that conversation my understanding of warranty coverage goes like this. The factory 5 year, 60,000 mile power train warranty and any extended warranty's remains in effect. The Track Key & tune has a 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty starting with the purchase date of the car. So if the car is 2 years old at the time the key is purchased, in effect you only have 1 year and 12,000 miles of warranty on the key and tune. Apparently the computers in these cars is pretty sophisticated and it will know [ and rat you out ] if you tried to use the track key while using anything less than the required 91 octane or better fuel. So if you burn a hole in a piston while using the Track Key and you have anything less than 91 in the tank, you're on your own. On the other hand you're free to use 87 octane fuel so long as you're using the standard key. One of the things I really like about the Track Key is that it's instantly reversible so if you find yourself somewhere where 91 or better isn't available or if premium fuel suddenly goes to $6.00 a gallon just use your standard key. I live in a rural area and I have to drive at least 15 miles to get premium fuel. As I understand it, you can buy the Pro Cal tune either directly from Ford or through one of the vendors selling Ford Performance products. I believe it's installed with a tool they supply. It can be done by the customer assuming they have the necessary skills and equipment. I don't know this for a fact, but I think in order for the warranty to remain in effect it has to be installed by a dealer. The Track Key must be installed by a dealer and registered with Ford. I am fortunate in that I have a local small town dealer who also has a much larger wholesale operation [ GM & Ford ] and sells Ford Performance products through their wholesale dept at prices as good or better than internet pricing. They actually beat the internet price on the Track Key and matched it on a set of Boss 302 wheels. Ultimately the wheel price was actually better. The internet would have charged an additional $100.00 for shipping. I had to pay Weir Ford Il. sales tax, but that was less than the $100.00 shipping fee. Weir also delivered to my door for free. Point being it may pay to check with your local dealer and develop a good working relationship with them.

#26 ·
Skip the CAI and fix the shifter - I went Blowfish Racing, lots of guys go MGW - stock intake set up is fine til you go power adder

My .02 CDN

SCOTT

#27 ·
CDN is right, I went blowfish witha Steeda tri-ax.

Suspension should be the next mod, lowering springs, shocks/struts, LCA's, adjustable panhard bar, or if you are nuts like me, full watt's link setup.

Reactions: CDN5.0
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.