Ford Mustang Forum banner

GT500 Spoiler on a Premium GT with Backup Camera

8K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Black10V6 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I own a 2014 Mustang GT Premium with factory backup camera but no bumper sensors. I really like the look of the GT500 Spoiler and it's kinda unfortunate that the factory backup camera is on the spoiler. The trouble is how to relocate the camera after removing the factory camera spoiler and installing the GT500 spoiler as I don't wan't to lose this functionality.

I did my own research in old long dead threads, saw people drilled holes in the faux gas cap etc however I don't want to cut a hole where it's visible right between taillights.

Recently some vendors like AM started selling Raxiom kits without navigation, only with Raxiom mirrors and camera with cable harness, the camera sitting on top of the license plate area. In this setup I would prefer keeping my factory mirror which already has integrated screen and preferably keep my factory cables as I dont want to run another line of cables under door sills etc. I wonder if it's possible to place my factory camera unit between the license plate lights?

So in summary I was wondering if anyone installed a GT500 or similar spoiler replacing their factory camera spoiler while still keeping the car's factory camera?

See less See more
#2 ·
I installed the factory camera between the license plate lights. :wavey

I was asking around at several shops, but no one wanted to touch it because they thought it couldn't be done. A few other shops were willing, but they were charging way too much. In the end I did it myself and it was easy, although it's not perfect. Good thing is that that little corner is tucked away and not really visible unless you get down there and look at it. It was definitely worth it, but I need to find a way to cover the hole and that will hold the camera completely straight.

I didn't take any pics of the process, but it's very easy. Just remove the cover under the trunk lid to expose the wires. Uninstall spoiler and disconnect the camera. If you have a small pick, small enough to slip into the zip ties holding the wires to the trunk lid, use it to open them up instead of ripping the zip ties. You'll then remove the tape to separate the camera wires from the rest of the wires in there and reroute the camera wires under the trunk where it's not visible. Remove the rear bumper and drill a 3/4" hole on the desired location. The reason mine didn't come out perfect is cuz the bumper is made out of plastic and not metal like the rest of the body, so it doesn't lend itself too well to the drill bit. I started out with the smallest drill bit and moved my way up little by little until I finally used the 3/4" bit.

Btw, I'm typing this on my phone so my explanation may not be very clear. The closest you can come to a guide online is to find write-ups of a spoiler install and the rear valance/fascia install. Once you have a look at the layout of the vehicle under the trunk and bumper you'll get the idea of where to place the camera. Anyway, sorry to drag on. Here's a pic of the camera. Like I said, I didn't take a picture of the process, but if I was able to figure it out it should be possible for anyone else. Let me know if you have any questions.

#3 ·
I installed mine in the bumper, using a hole saw specifically for cutting plastic. Much neater looking install. Its your choice where you install it, but I recommend that you use the hole saw.

Attachments

#4 ·
Thank you for the answers guys ! This is a topic not covered by many, and visuals are especially rare.

First of all are you able to post a picture from a bit farther away so we see the full picture of how the mustang's rear looks ? It would be nice to see the reason you moved your cameras as well - let's see the spoilers etc :nerd:

Also, was there an additional hole on the trunk lid because of the camera spoiler ? As the title says I'm interested in the GT500 spoiler and one selling point is I wont need to drill holes as it's a direct bolt on replacing the regular GT spoiler. I was wondering if the camera cables go through an additional hole, if so how you filled it ?

#5 ·
Thank you for the answers guys ! This is a topic not covered by many, and visuals are especially rare.
Yes! I had seen someone years ago actually carve a hole on the GT500 spoiler and insert the camera there, although when I was looking for it recently those pics could no longer be viewed cuz the forum is no longer up. So as I mentioned, I went at it by looking at install guides to see what the car looked like from under the trunk and bumper.

Huberoy mentioned he used a hole saw to cut his. I would highly recommend that. The drill bit I used did not cut well and that's why the hole on mine is ugly, although not very visible. Right after I started cutting with the drill bit I noticed the cut wasn't very clean, but it was too late to turn back. Definitely spend a few bucks and get the hole saw.

First of all are you able to post a picture from a bit farther away so we see the full picture of how the mustang's rear looks ? It would be nice to see the reason you moved your cameras as well - let's see the spoilers etc :nerd:
I installed the GT500 spoiler. I'll come back later and add the pics! I'm typing this at work and don't have access to my pics here.

Also, was there an additional hole on the trunk lid because of the camera spoiler ? As the title says I'm interested in the GT500 spoiler and one selling point is I wont need to drill holes as it's a direct bolt on replacing the regular GT spoiler. I was wondering if the camera cables go through an additional hole, if so how you filled it ?
Yes, there is a hole on the trunk lid for the camera. I bought the actual Ford GT500 spoiler and not a replica; the Ford spoiler has a bit of padding that covers that hole. Previously, I had purchased the 3DCarbon replica spoiler and that one doesn't have the padding to cover the camera hole. Assuming nothing's changed, this still may be the case.

I should also mention something I didn't see anyone else mention. The camera spoiler reaches farther back on the trunk lid than the GT500 spoiler does. Ask me how I know :grin:. So once you remove the camera spoiler, you will have to remove all the residue left over from the tape. I highly suggest Goo Gone. Even so, this is the most time consuming part of removing the spoiler, but the Goo Gone makes it a little easier. This is a perfect opportunity to compound, polish, and wax the trunk lid to remove swirls and light scratches left over. There will be an imprint left on the trunk lid by the dirt that accumulates under the spoiler and the only way to remove it was by compound/polish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.