Ford Mustang Forum banner

Is this still a really good deal on this 2014 Mustang GT?

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  gostang9 
#1 ·
I'm in the market for a 2013-2014 Mustang GT automatic, and I found this 40k mile one priced at $18,887, and according to car gurus it's 4K below market savings?

Used 2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium For Sale in Woodbridge - Serving Alexandria & Arlington, VA - 6JG1561A

But then I looked at this disclaimer on the dealer website and it says
* All advertised prices exclude tax, tags, PDI fee of $1,495 and processing fee of $699.

A PDI fee of 1,495?! Isn't that way too much? Why does a used car need a PDI anyway?

Cheers for any advice.

#2 ·
If they are trying to put a PDI fee on a used car, I would Run, not walk away from that dealer:

Quick Answer. A car's PDI is its pre-delivery inspection, a process in which it is carefully looked over to check for any problems before it is sold. This is usually done at the dealership from which the car was purchased and before the vehicle is registered under the new owner's name

#3 ·
Yes that is all extra fluff/profit for them, and is added to the car making it a bad deal. As someone who shopped these cars for months before I bought stay away from that. I ended up buying from a large Cadillac/Subaru/Frisker dealer that charged roughly $400 in processing fees on a great priced car which I was fine with as they got us fantastic financing as well on an incredibly clean 13. A few hundred is acceptable that is BS.

Automatics I noticed as extremely low priced compared to manuals. If I was looking for a 13 14 auto base GT I'd expect to pay 15k for a clean, 50k mile car. Premium maybe 17k, though fair to say I wanted a deal. A fair one, but still a deal.

What I found was some dealers think they have a rare car they can make good money on. These cars will stay on cargurus and such 70-150 days with lots of watchers. Then you get a dealer who knows it will hang unless a deal, then it goes FAST. The red one I missed with a 302 boss intake, full suspension, and 50k miles (brembo premium) for 19,500 was gone in 2 days, the recent 14 red brembo track pack was gone in 1, and mine never made it to it's UCI and mandatory oil chg before I snagged it fresh from trade. Each case a dealer who knew the REAL value and priced it properly.

There really are not many good cars out there, but at the same time there are lots of Mustangs out there for sale. You are lucky going for an auto you really should have tons of choices, and yes I would for sure pass on this one.

Last thing.. though I did not buy from them/him (cause his sold too fast) I was extremely impressed with Kane North @ Vroom, and it takes a lot to impress me. They have better cars but do price them dead on, free national delivery, and a massive lending network. I'll dig up his direct number and email tomorrow and post it. Might well be worth a phone call.

#4 ·
Dealerships around where I live ALWAYS try to add in administration, anti-theft etching, documentation and other what seem to be invented fees. It can be annoying but it has been my experience that simply telling the salesperson you will pay an all included price of 'X' dollars works well. That way you don't have to debate the legitimacy of the bullcrap individual fees.

There is never any harm in putting in an offer that reflects what you want to pay. If they take it, great. If not, no big deal, right? (Even though you may already be in love.... you will get over it.)

Lots of retailers advertise in ways that seem a bit off. Get someone in the door and liking the product and many buyers will come up a bit when the 'extras' are brought to light. Seems sleazy, but the final decision is up to you.

If you have time and patience and you can eventually get a very good deal. There will be motivated sellers that come along wanting to sell as much as you want to buy.

Good luck and all the best. Pay those guys back by putting in a really low offer! :smile:

#5 ·
#6 ·
Just look at the real total cost of the car including all fees as the "price" then decide if it is a good deal. And yeah trying to separate part of the price as "fees" and not count it as the price is a shady practice; but then again just about all used car dealers have shady practices so this one is no different. $21K is not a bad price, depending on options, condition, etc. I would use Blue Book, Black Book, Edmunds, Consumer Reports or any of the other on-line sources to find a rough value based on the options and condition of the car; and include all fees as part of the price; and see if it is a good deal. Plus you can always negotiate and those on-line prices are good to have in hand. But don't agree to any deal until you see the real full price including all fees.

#7 ·
good call to scope out the dealership, but remember with a car this new the wtty should be from Ford and honored by any Ford dealer (if they decide it is a wtty item). Many dealers will negotiate price so it may be worth looking at but keep in mind the dealer ratings. (mayhap add in an extended Ford ESP wtty) and prove it has never been tuned/re-flashed.

good luck with search

Mud

#8 ·
Wow, this dealership is a total scumbag, as soon as I called them about the Mustang GT and told them I am going to drive down on Friday to check it out. I later checked the website and the price went from $18,887 to $27,995!!! It's now listed as 28k, LOL. 28K for a 2014 mustang GT with 40k miles, are they retarded?

WTF I can get a 2015 GT for that much with 7k miles!

#10 ·
Wow, this dealership is a total scumbag, as soon as I called them about the Mustang GT and told them I am going to drive down on Friday to check it out. . . .
Consider yourself lucky . . . . if they were really really big scumbags, they would have waited until you got there, and THEN told you what the real price was. . . . at least they saved you the trip.

I have had dealers confirm by e-mail/phone a trade in amount on a specific car that they had seen, against a specific car that we had talked about, and then when I showed up they said "nah, that's way too much for that trade in, we can't give you that" . . . so of course I promptly walked out, and made sure all the other customers overheard our conversation, and gladly it was a fairly local dealer.

#9 ·
Wow. I looked at the car through your link when you first posted it. Looked again just now and can't believe it!

Hope the guy who traded it in sees it.

Private seller with a really nice car is going to show up for you soon, I hope. Good luck, get the perfect one.

All the best.

#11 ·
Run a few searches on Car Gurus and then Cars.com, the car you are looking for will come up...

#14 ·
I also wanted dark gray and ended up with a black 2014 GT Convertible.

Prices in Canada seem much better than in the US currently. My car had only 12.5k miles on it (20k km) and I paid under $26k USD (including 15% taxes and all fees).

It came with style bar already installed, Magnaflow axle-backs, factory NAV and reverse camera. No Brembo though...

#13 ·
Dang! If they can get 27k for that car, I better put my `13 up for 26k. Its only got 1786 miles on it Lol:grin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.