How should I approach this negotiation with this dealer? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

What a dilemma...

It's a nice looking car. Someone has done a bunch of cosmetic stuff that, if you like it, adds value for sure. Disappointed that it is missing interior items that would be perhaps expected for that price. Stereo, 401A 'carbon fiber' look factory dash instead of carbon fiber applique and navigation to name a few.

I guess you have to weigh the odds of waiting and having it:
-snapped up out from under you.
-reduced a bunch in price as they don't sell and you save a pile.
-keeping you awake at night as you worry you'll never see one like it again, then fatigue killing your attention span at work and destroying any relationships you have.

Hearing people say, "There's always another mustang just around the next bend" only works for so long. I wish you strength in this.

Only you can decide what is important to you. If only there were more out your way for you to choose from. Good luck to you.

All the best.

2014 Gray Mustang

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteplague View Post
Here is their reply after I offered the same price (25k) as apparently a Ford dealership offered them:

And the car is 17k miles, not 15k.*

Here is a link to the car
2014 Used Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe GT at Autohaus Lancaster, Inc., PA, IID 16397149

Do you guys think it's worth 25.5k??
I wouldn't really consider buying a car that heavily modded unless it had receipts for every single performance mod and exact maintenance records. Just about everything in the interior was swapped - from the cheesy aftermarket "carbon fiber" dash and cup holder cover, to a rear seat delete kit, and the racing front seats.
The point of a mustang is that you have rear seats when you need them. Without them might as well get a corvette. Even though I just noticed the rear seats are included separately - It's indicative that the car has seen a lot of hard track miles.

2001 Mustang GT - Crashed (Other person's fault) Stock.
2003 Mustang GT - Sold
Lowered, Flowmaster catbacks, CAI + Tune, 5% tint all around, American racing wheels.
2005 Mustang GT - Traded in
"Performance" spark plugs and ignition coils, 5% tint on back 3 - 20% on front two, 20 inch silver AMR wheels
2011 Mustang GT - BEAST
5% tint all around. 2014 GT premium wheels. Roush axleback

Last edited by LosAngelesGT; 05-17-2017 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Noticed additional info in add
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

A bit off topic, but did a double take on the seats. Wonder if they have side air bags? Would be important to me having been in a bad accident 5 yrs ago. Might want to ask them about it, could be a selling point..

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Yes I'm pretty sure all of the later model premiums have side air bags.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
SHELBY GT 350 Member

sharp looking car with mods I like. I'll disagree some (respectfully!) with LA's take on the seats. I find the stangs rear seats useless and lack of them to me doesn't necessarily signal track miles. A good number of us just own these to have a nice car and enjoy making it ours. Yeah we'll drive it but not at track speeds (see Jbert for what track speeds are)

I will repeat about tuning...looking at it I see a car that I would guess has been tuned. It's obvious the owner loved it and put lots of $/time into it. That is a good thing but why would you sell it after that much effort? I know some folks want new rides every couple of years and if it's one of them that is OK. But it would be a real good idea to talk to the previous owner.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.

Last edited by Strange Mud; 05-18-2017 at 10:40 AM.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
. . . ..looking at it I see a car that I would guess has been tuned. . . . . .
Probably so; and if so, it is a problem buying it from a dealer because they will either swear it has not been tuned and/or have no clue what "tuned" even means and/or refuse to give you the information and tuner, that you need. If it has been tuned, and you do not get the tuner, the only way to straighten it out is: (1) have it flashed back to stock by a dealer; then (2) re-tune it for all the mods, preferably before you drive it. This means you have to know exactly what mods it has. The best way to find all of this out is to talk to the prior owner directly; but in my experience dealers will not cooperate on that.
kenv likes this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
PONY Member

I paid $25,000 before TTL on my 14 GT base brand new. Those seats have no airbags and the mods done make me think younger driver. To give you an example for a new GT:

https://www.koons.com/new/Ford/2017-...35af71b7cb.htm

I've bought my last three Fords from them, their price IS negotiable down even further.

2014 Sterling gray GT 6M
Paxton Novi 2200 with torque booser and Lund tune, DW1000 injectors, JMS BAP, ATI damper
Lethal ORP, MGW shifter, BMR upper and lowers, Spicer 1 piece DS, Ram Single disk clutch with aluminum flywheel, Power leather seat conversion. Staggered wheels.
PONY Member

Garage
If you like the car and willing to pay $25,000, counter offer with $25,250 and tell him that its a deal. This is based on your research that 25,000 is is the range of prices of a car with these options. Good luck.
Comparing this price to others on Cargaru.com for your area, this price seems to be competitive. Cars with around 30,000 miles are advertised for $24,000 to $28,000.
Good luck.
Let us know what you decide.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
sharp looking car with mods I like. I'll disagree some (respectfully!) with LA's take on the seats. I find the stangs rear seats useless and lack of them to me doesn't necessarily signal track miles. A good number of us just own these to have a nice car and enjoy making it ours. Yeah we'll drive it but not at track speeds (see Jbert for what track speeds are)

I will repeat about tuning...looking at it I see a car that I would guess has been tuned. It's obvious the owner loved it and put lots of $/time into it. That is a good thing but why would you sell it after that much effort? I know some folks want new rides every couple of years and if it's one of them that is OK. But it would be a real good idea to talk to the previous owner.
Valid point Mud brought up. The lack of rear seats and Recaro front seats don't necessarily mean it's been tracked, could just be customized to the previous owner's liking. I personally view those sort of mods like I would view a " minor accident" report on the carfax. Could have just been a scratched bumper, or the owner could have curbed his car hard. Just something to pay attention too.

I also agree that it's strange for the owner to put that much money and time into customizing it and then letting it go.

2001 Mustang GT - Crashed (Other person's fault) Stock.
2003 Mustang GT - Sold
Lowered, Flowmaster catbacks, CAI + Tune, 5% tint all around, American racing wheels.
2005 Mustang GT - Traded in
"Performance" spark plugs and ignition coils, 5% tint on back 3 - 20% on front two, 20 inch silver AMR wheels
2011 Mustang GT - BEAST
5% tint all around. 2014 GT premium wheels. Roush axleback
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesGT View Post
....I also agree that it's strange for the owner to put that much money and time into customizing it and then letting it go.

I'm thinking repo
LosAngelesGT likes this.
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Personally I believe the dealer is going to find it to be a very very very hard/tough sell. That is just looking at the fact it is a base model so no track apps and all that, base cloth interier, and the fact it is an AUTOMATIC! Then throw the high amount of aftermarket modifications. Yes most look cosmetic, but it takes the right person for all that to appeal to. Some may appeal, but not the whole package. To me I agree with others it looks like whoever owned it like fast and furious. haha If the mods appeal to you then there is defiantly some value there as they all added up aren't cheap.

If this were me I would pass because I like buying stock. However if I were you and you seem interested with all the mods and all then I would at the least sit back and watch the price drop, because I am willing to bet this will sit for a couple months. Give them a offer you are willing to pay and check back with your salesperson say once a week on say either Monday or Friday/Saturday. Just once a week or you will seem more desperate.

Just my .02
crjackson2134 likes this.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

"I" would not buy that car for that high of a price, but that`s just me.

I don`t know why, but I`m thinking repo also.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
Apprentice
S197 Member

Garage
I would say the lack of rear seats signal the person did not have, nor intended to have kids anytime soon. And the person was obviously trying to "look cool" based on everything else. (maybe they were about to have a kid and had to sell it?)

My 8 year old fits perfectly in the back of my GT, so I definitely wouldnt say the rears are useless. Mustang's are actually pretty good cars when you have school age children, and they're not the primary family vehicle
huberoy123 and LosAngelesGT like this.

12 GT Brembo, MT82, 3.73 rear
Wheels/Tires - 19x10/11 SVE S350 w/ 285/35 Sumitomo HTR Z III & 305/35 Michelin Pilot Super Sports
Suspension - Strange Adj Shocks/Struts - FRPP K-Spring front, Eibach Sportline rear - J&M CC Plates - BMR LCA/Relo - Steeda Adj UCA - BMR Adj Panhard - FRPP Sway Bars - FRPP Jounce/Bump Kit
Drivetrain - Blowfish Racing Bracket - Spec Stage2 Clutch/Steel Flywheel - SVE Clutch Cable - ShaftMasters Aluminum Driveshaft
Exhaust - DNA T-304 1-7/8 Shorty Headers - Solo Mach Full Catback
Engine - Stock, for now...

Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
Very solid information. I once (a couple of years ago) found a used vehicle I wanted on a Ford lot. We were about 2k apart on price. We haggled over this and came to no agreement. I gave them my price & phone number, and told them to call me when they are serious about selling. They called me every week for 5 weeks with an offer I wasn't willing to pay. I told them to stop calling unless they agreed to my price. Before it got to the 6th week, they took my offer. You have to be willing to walk away totally. Once in a while this works, sometimes it doesn't. Just don't allow yourself to be pushed to an unreasonable (to you) price.
Amen to what you said. Be willing to walk away and know more about the car you want than the salesman knows... which in my experience is not hard to do. I have personally used the "walk away" approach before and had it work. The sales manager literally chased us down in the parking lot as we started to drive away. They magically decided to take my price... the price they could under no circumstances accept only minutes prior!

I've also had the walk away fail - some dealers are not willing to deal. Ironic, no? When I've walked away and it resulted in no deal - I still felt like a winner because looking back on it - I was probably about to make a bad deal anyway.
huberoy123 and crjackson2134 like this.
PONY Member

Garage
look on auto trader.ca
look in Niagara falls Ontario
your us dollar will save you big

GO BIG OR GO HOME
5.0 coyote
BBK cold air intake
SCT tuner with 91 tune
roush axle back
Go BILLS

91 tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page