Ford Mustang Forum banner

How should I approach this negotiation with this dealer?

3K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  2012bigredstang 
#1 ·
Hey guys, it's me again. Found a different stang, need advice! You guys have been very helpful so far.

So I contacted a dealer via email about a 2014 Grabber Blue Mustang GT (has after market exhaust, top/bottom grill, and seats) with 15k miles priced at 27K so I emailed the dealer about negotiating the price, this was the response:

"Dear John Doe

I want to thank you for contacting our dealership, for your vehicle needs. My name is Mike Rivers, the e-Commerce Director for the dealership.

Thank you for your interest in our rare 2014 Mustang. Let me know what price you were thinking. To give you heads up we have very little room to negotiate. We have already been offered $25k from a Ford dealership and it has only been on the lot for 2 days.

I look forward to hearing back from you. Feel free to call or email. "

Keep in mind, if I wanted to, I could buy the mustang outright with cash. Any tips on what I should offer? Or should I bail?

#2 ·
EDIT: sorry for the double post.

#3 ·
I would ignore all of their BS and just offer what it is worth to me. "Rare 2014 Mustang" yeah right, these are mass produced cars. And make it clear that the offer is contingent upon seeing the car and being satisfied with it.

I don't know if you have been shopping around; but if you have then you should have an idea what it is the "market value" and also how much it is worth to you. If you don't have a good feel for it, then use as many on-line tools as you can find, and see what they say -- Blue Book, Black Book, Edmunds, Consumer Reports are the ones that some to mind.

I don't know what options it has, or condition; 15,000 miles suggests it is in pretty good shape . . . but if it was my money I would not be going much higher than $25K, which seems a bit on the high side to me already.

#4 ·
I really like my '14 but am under no impression that it is some kind of collector car. They are everywhere. This may be the high season (spring/summer) to buy one.

I'm guessing it is 'rare' in your area for a brief time. There seems to be lots around where I am, not that that helps you..... I just looked at autotrader. For that price I would expect to get a convertible loaded with under 10k miles.

Oh, well, like JBert said, offer low and see where it goes. They will always come back with a counter offer.

Geeez.....My '14 cost less than that when I bought it brand new here.

Sure hope it works out for you. There'll always be another mustang come up for sale if it doesn't, though.

All the best.

#5 ·
Help us out with a link to listing AD or tell us what options like is it a premium and etc... That is more thank likely a load of crap about being offered 25K by a Ford dealer.... The crap they try to tell people and pull of is just absurd these days....

#7 ·
27K will get you a supercharged 13-14 GT from many private buyers. I would bail.

#8 ·
not knowledgeable to comment on price, but general info

remember to know what add on items cost (ignore tax/registration) but stuff like dealer conv fee etc
get every thing in writing!
when you get to a price that you like...get them to throw in an extra key
just before signing "this does come with a full tank of gas"
No dealer stickers on car
No VIN etch/cleaning packages/etc some dealers even print them on the sales form just cross it out with a "No"

remember everything in writing even stuff like the stickers.

#10 ·
Can't hurt to offer them ~$22K and see what they say. If they bite, then you can ask for everything in writing before you make the trip. If not, then you can either offer a little more, or walk away.

#11 ·
LMAO used car salesmen. The guy is an idiot, and is trying to play you for a sucker.

I had a 2014 GT with full suspension, exhaust, Brembo with 9k miles I could have put you on for 21k.

I had a 2013 GT Brembo with suspension and 302 intake with 27k miles I barely missed buying for 19.5k.

I bought a 2013 GT with 52k miles for THOUSANDS below either of those.

For ole Mike Rivers, I'd call him.. and ask him if this a Brembo or trackpack? When he doesn't even know what is ask him how exactly this car is so rare? Then throw those numbers at him, and ask again... how is this such a rare valuable Mustang Mike, when these better cars sold for so much less?? Please enlighten me. Then offer him 19k cash

#12 ·
This is a very aggressive approach and may work with few dealers. Even fewer when the car is so new on their lot. Unless the price is within in $500 I don't reach out to dealers in the first 3-4 weeks as they are less likely to entertain low offers. Now as months pass they become more desperate to move the car and more and more low offers are entertained. Same goes private party as well... Think about it. You price you car for what you want and think it is worth. In the first couple weeks you are firm. The more time that passes the more you want to sell the more negotiable you become.

#14 ·
#17 · (Edited)
Here is their reply after I offered the same price (25k) as apparently a Ford dealership offered them:

And the car is 17k miles, not 15k.*

Here is a link to the car
2014 Used Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe GT at Autohaus Lancaster, Inc., PA, IID 16397149

Do you guys think it's worth 25.5k??
I wouldn't really consider buying a car that heavily modded unless it had receipts for every single performance mod and exact maintenance records. Just about everything in the interior was swapped - from the cheesy aftermarket "carbon fiber" dash and cup holder cover, to a rear seat delete kit, and the racing front seats.
The point of a mustang is that you have rear seats when you need them. Without them might as well get a corvette. Even though I just noticed the rear seats are included separately - It's indicative that the car has seen a lot of hard track miles.

#15 ·
I just bought a 13 GT convertible black 5.0 w/ 32K miles for $22,000 in the Washington DC area. The convertible mustangs are flying off the dealers lots within a day or two of the showing up. Prices are all over the place and I got this one because it was low mileage, relatively speaking, and it was there when I went to test drive it.

Good luck with your search.

#16 ·
What a dilemma...

It's a nice looking car. Someone has done a bunch of cosmetic stuff that, if you like it, adds value for sure. Disappointed that it is missing interior items that would be perhaps expected for that price. Stereo, 401A 'carbon fiber' look factory dash instead of carbon fiber applique and navigation to name a few.

I guess you have to weigh the odds of waiting and having it:
-snapped up out from under you.
-reduced a bunch in price as they don't sell and you save a pile.
-keeping you awake at night as you worry you'll never see one like it again, then fatigue killing your attention span at work and destroying any relationships you have.

Hearing people say, "There's always another mustang just around the next bend" only works for so long. I wish you strength in this.

Only you can decide what is important to you. If only there were more out your way for you to choose from. Good luck to you.

All the best.

#19 ·
Yes I'm pretty sure all of the later model premiums have side air bags.

#20 · (Edited)
sharp looking car with mods I like. I'll disagree some (respectfully!) with LA's take on the seats. I find the stangs rear seats useless and lack of them to me doesn't necessarily signal track miles. A good number of us just own these to have a nice car and enjoy making it ours. Yeah we'll drive it but not at track speeds (see Jbert for what track speeds are)

I will repeat about tuning...looking at it I see a car that I would guess has been tuned. It's obvious the owner loved it and put lots of $/time into it. That is a good thing but why would you sell it after that much effort? I know some folks want new rides every couple of years and if it's one of them that is OK. But it would be a real good idea to talk to the previous owner.

#21 ·
. . . ..looking at it I see a car that I would guess has been tuned. . . . . .
Probably so; and if so, it is a problem buying it from a dealer because they will either swear it has not been tuned and/or have no clue what "tuned" even means and/or refuse to give you the information and tuner, that you need. If it has been tuned, and you do not get the tuner, the only way to straighten it out is: (1) have it flashed back to stock by a dealer; then (2) re-tune it for all the mods, preferably before you drive it. This means you have to know exactly what mods it has. The best way to find all of this out is to talk to the prior owner directly; but in my experience dealers will not cooperate on that.

Reactions: kenv
#22 ·
#23 ·
If you like the car and willing to pay $25,000, counter offer with $25,250 and tell him that its a deal. This is based on your research that 25,000 is is the range of prices of a car with these options. Good luck.
Comparing this price to others on Cargaru.com for your area, this price seems to be competitive. Cars with around 30,000 miles are advertised for $24,000 to $28,000.
Good luck.
Let us know what you decide.

#26 ·
Personally I believe the dealer is going to find it to be a very very very hard/tough sell. That is just looking at the fact it is a base model so no track apps and all that, base cloth interier, and the fact it is an AUTOMATIC! Then throw the high amount of aftermarket modifications. Yes most look cosmetic, but it takes the right person for all that to appeal to. Some may appeal, but not the whole package. To me I agree with others it looks like whoever owned it like fast and furious. haha If the mods appeal to you then there is defiantly some value there as they all added up aren't cheap.

If this were me I would pass because I like buying stock. However if I were you and you seem interested with all the mods and all then I would at the least sit back and watch the price drop, because I am willing to bet this will sit for a couple months. Give them a offer you are willing to pay and check back with your salesperson say once a week on say either Monday or Friday/Saturday. Just once a week or you will seem more desperate.

Just my .02

Reactions: crjackson
#27 ·
"I" would not buy that car for that high of a price, but that`s just me.

I don`t know why, but I`m thinking repo also.

#28 ·
I would say the lack of rear seats signal the person did not have, nor intended to have kids anytime soon. And the person was obviously trying to "look cool" based on everything else. (maybe they were about to have a kid and had to sell it?)

My 8 year old fits perfectly in the back of my GT, so I definitely wouldnt say the rears are useless. Mustang's are actually pretty good cars when you have school age children, and they're not the primary family vehicle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.