Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Norm Peterson
  • 1 Post By Nelsoncp21
  • 2 Post By max h

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Tinted the lights this afternoon

I spent a hour or so, or two beers tinting the lights on the car. I did everything except for the headlights, since they are the Halogens an people complain about the light output. I figured I would see how this does and check with a couple of Deputies that live in the neighborhood.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	May 18, 17 30 43.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	860.8 KB
ID:	564321   Click image for larger version

Name:	May 18, 17 31 03.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	911.8 KB
ID:	564329  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017
Rookie
S197 Member

Garage
Looks tight man! I assume you just went with good ol Night Shades? Never understood the hate for that stuff, works great if you just take your time and don't put on 27 coats. Anyway, looks very good my man.

Cheers!
-Rob

09 Mustang 4.0. Too much to write down. Looks and sounds like a GT500 for half the cost and a quarter of the horsepower!! Currently working on a junkyard turbo build and an 8.8 rear end swap.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

It's a vinyl film kit made especially for lights AM sells the kit.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaRobFather View Post
Looks tight man! I assume you just went with good ol Night Shades? Never understood the hate for that stuff,
The hate comes from it being a mod that reduces performance (lights are certainly things that need to perform). That people are convinced that vanity and static appearance have more importance than function when it comes to automotive lighting. They sure aren't doing it out with much technical understanding of what's going on.

There aren't many mods that I will use the word 'hate' for. But this is one of those few.

You asked . . .

Norm
Strange Mud likes this.

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

There's a reason that the main headlights aren't done yet. Then again modern lights on cars these days are way ahead of what I learned to drive on years ago. Non-halogen sealed beams that came on cars from the 70's. The film provides at least 80% light transmission and doesn't alter the color of the beam when the lights are illuminated.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017
PONY Member
S197 Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by max h View Post
It's a vinyl film kit made especially for lights AM sells the kit.
Yep, that's the same tint I got for my fog lights. Supposedly you need to peel off the protective film after they dry but I never really did that. They look fine the way they are. I had to use a blow dryer on high heat to get them to conform to the curvature of the lights, but it turned out phenomenal!

2013 Mustang GT Premium
Build Date: 01/14/2013
  • Ford Performance 3.73 Gears
  • MGW Race Spec Shifter
  • Flowmaster Outlaw Catbacks
  • American Racing Long Tube Headers / off road x-pipe
  • Ford Performance Cobra Jet Intake Manifold
  • Ford Performance 65mm Cobra Jet Twin Blade T/B
  • Ford Performance Cobra Jet CAI
  • SCT Tune
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
The hate comes from it being a mod that reduces performance (lights are certainly things that need to perform). That people are convinced that vanity and static appearance have more importance than function when it comes to automotive lighting. They sure aren't doing it out with much technical understanding of what's going on.

There aren't many mods that I will use the word 'hate' for. But this is one of those few.

You asked . . .

Norm
It depends why you are doing it. Veil (brand name) coating to the lights prevents a clean first read of the cop's laser. I generally don't drive the GT any significant distance at night if I can help it.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017
PONY Member

Garage
I've been running my kit on all my lights and knock on wood I've had no issues. Since when does every mod have to have an impact on performance. Why can't it be about looks? From that stand point why don't we all just drive the same color vehicle? As for performance, the tint kit allows light to pass through and I have verified with mine that there is no impact to brightness or reflective properties. It really only makes a big difference when the car is sitting turned off and no lights are shining directly on it. When driving it's nearly impossible to tell.
powerdoc12 likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsoncp21 View Post
I've been running my kit on all my lights and knock on wood I've had no issues. Since when does every mod have to have an impact on performance. Why can't it be about looks? From that stand point why don't we all just drive the same color vehicle? As for performance, the tint kit allows light to pass through and I have verified with mine that there is no impact to brightness or reflective properties. It really only makes a big difference when the car is sitting turned off and no lights are shining directly on it. When driving it's nearly impossible to tell.
I believe anything that decreases your detection is a performance mod👍

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
For the most part most of what I'm doing is for appearance or to make maintenance easier at the house. I'm not looking at taking the car to the track, so there's a lot of mods that just aren't needed. The next thing this week is to install a set of jacking rails, when I have time to get to base and us the lift at the hobby shop.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

gave a qualified like to Norms post...I wouldn't hate on tints but form<function.

Max I'm glad you didn't tint the front, but I was behind a G37 last night that was obviously loved by a car guy. Clean with exhaust/rims and tints so dark I couldn't tell when he had brakes on except for the center one which wasn't tinted. Your car so do what you like but this is one that will cause so disagreement.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
gave a qualified like to Norms post...I wouldn't hate on tints but form<function.

Max I'm glad you didn't tint the front, but I was behind a G37 last night that was obviously loved by a car guy. Clean with exhaust/rims and tints so dark I couldn't tell when he had brakes on except for the center one which wasn't tinted. Your car so do what you like but this is one that will cause so disagreement.
I'm planning leaving as it is for now, the brake lights show up well past the 500 ft they have to in Florida by law. I wouldn't do a tint that would be a potential safety hazard.
dusman59 and Strange Mud like this.
PONY Member

Garage
Probably a safe bet. It looks good the way you have it and if it's not messing with visibility then I wouldn't change anything. Unless of course you have issues come inspection time. My car is due for inspection next month and I admit I'm a bit nervous. My lights meet the requirements for brightness and reflectiveness however there is something written about adding any covers, films or aftermarket parts to the light assembly. My only hope is that since you can't even tell with the car on that they don't ding me for it.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Probably a safe bet. It looks good the way you have it and if it's not messing with visibility then I wouldn't change anything. Unless of course you have issues come inspection time. My car is due for inspection next month and I admit I'm a bit nervous. My lights meet the requirements for brightness and reflectiveness however there is something written about adding any covers, films or aftermarket parts to the light assembly. My only hope is that since you can't even tell with the car on that they don't ding me for it.
There's no safety inspections in Florida, there was a few counties around Jacksonville and Miama that required smog inspections years ago. I don't know if they are still doing it these days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page