Ford Mustang Forum banner

Major questions about 2011 Used Ford Mustang

750 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  REVTMOLO 
#1 ·
Okay I have a couple of questions. 1. I'm getting a used 2011 Used For Mustang with 85k on it. It has major modifications done to it already such as Headers, Filters and Exhaust. When I test drove it from the dealer the check engine light came on. I asked about it and they said that when cars are as modified as this one is, it's normal to have the check engine light on and running. Is this true or not? 2. Inside where the aux plug would usually be, there are two switches that light up when turned on but I couldn't manage to find out what they controlled. Does anyone know of anything or any possibility as to what these two switches dictate in the performance or even the appeal to what the car could be?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
When I test drove it from the dealer the check engine light came on. I asked about it and they said that when cars are as modified as this one is, it's normal to have the check engine light on and running. Is this true or not?

That sounds like a load of BS to me. Someone more experienced with tuning than I am needs to chime in for confirmation but I don't think that's right.

I wouldn't buy it. If I'm right then there is no telling what other surprises there may be after the sale is done and your money is gone.

#3 ·
If it has Long Tube headers and and no tune to shut off the back O2 sensors that could be your CEL, but then again the car is also illegal to sell if that is the case since it is supposed to have all the OEM or OEM equivalent Emission controls on it.

#4 ·
Yeah I definitely think that's not the case. I've keyed in on sound and I would hear a sound as if it were trying to cut-off and turn back on while idling. & I figured that wasn't just the cause of the exhaust. Do you have any idea of what the two switches in the center console in the arm rest could be? I noticed two wires in the picture of the engine but I don't know if that could be what the switches respond to.

#6 ·
Hook a 'code reader' up to it and see what the codes are.

The wires could be for the nitrous oxide bottle heater :( Look for the clamp mounting holes in the trunk :(

#7 ·
Red wires along the firewall looks jury rigged. Wonder if they are even fuse protected. I'm sure you can find another Mustang that doesn't have problems.

Reactions: MarkMartinez
#8 ·
I'll go back to my original statement. Unless they are selling it dirt cheap (and I mean DIRT cheap) walk away. I'm not a mechanic but it doesn't sound like you are either. This appears to be a fixer upper. If you don't have the time, skill, money and resources it's definitely a pass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.