Build Date Question - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Thereaper

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Build Date Question

I purchased my used 2014 Mustang GT one week ago. I'm really enjoying the car - but my inner nerd wants to know if anyone else here can help me understand why my car had such an early build date.

The NHTSA data sticker in the door jamb lists the build date as 08/12 ! August of 2012 for a 2014??? And before someone suggests that my car is not actually a 2014 - it has a 2014 VIN number, I have the matching original window sticker (not a copy) that indicates a Mod. Year 2014, the Owner's Manual shows a printing date of Dec. 2012... in fact all the original glove box booklets that came with the car are present and accounted for and they all show "first printing" and a 2012 date.

The car shows a date on the window sticker in the lower section where the dealer information is of June 2013. I assume this is a shipping date.

On the Carfax, there is not a Date of Manufacture listed as there was on the many other Mustangs I shopped. I also know that the original buyer took delivery on Christmas Eve 2013.

I'm not trying to say any of this make my car rare or special - but I am curious why a 2014 MY car would be built in 2012... seems strange to me. If anyone has any ideas, clues or knowledge about early build dates, I'd love to hear your feedback.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017
PONY Member

My 2011 was delivered to my dealer in May 2010. Ford does strange things with their model years

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017
BOSS Member

Garage
Vehicle Lookup
Go here and enter your VIN. Everything you need to know.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
My 2011 was delivered to my dealer in May 2010. Ford does strange things with their model years

Ford did release the 2011 Mustangs in April 2010 as a throw back to the mid year release of the '64 'Stang .. I bought my 2010 in April 2010 and the dealer had a handful of 2011 Premium models .. I didn't know at that time what the 'Yote was capable of or I'd bought one instead of my 3v, but I only paid 22k OTD for the 3v with 20miles on the clock...

Ford would not have opened the order bank for the 2014 MY till December '12 and IIRC they would've started production in March 2013. A build date of 8/12 puts it squarely in the middle of the 2013 MY ..

EDIT:: OK, Just checked the door sticker on my wife's 2014, it shows 11/13, Window sticker build date was 11/13/13 ... Hummm, no wonder I can't stand that car ...

2010 Grabber Blue Mustang GT, Forged 4.6L Roush TVS and other stuff ... The modding shall never end ...

Wife's car ... 2014 Sterling Gray Premium GT 401A, stock for now ..
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
Vehicle Lookup
Go here and enter your VIN. Everything you need to know.
Thanks. I went through the link. It shows build date for my car to be 02/08/2013. So now I'm just more confused. And, I also noticed the site must be associated with Ford's European operations. Everything was all European terminology.... things like, "boot" and "bonnet" instead of trunk and hood, etc.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallDias View Post
Thanks. I went through the link. It shows build date for my car to be 02/08/2013. So now I'm just more confused. And, I also noticed the site must be associated with Ford's European operations. Everything was all European terminology.... things like, "boot" and "bonnet" instead of trunk and hood, etc.
That's straight from FMC so I would think it's the most correct info you can get on your Mustang.
5.0 Coyote likes this.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page