Ford Mustang Forum banner

Build Date Question

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Thereaper 
#1 ·
I purchased my used 2014 Mustang GT one week ago. I'm really enjoying the car - but my inner nerd wants to know if anyone else here can help me understand why my car had such an early build date.

The NHTSA data sticker in the door jamb lists the build date as 08/12 ! August of 2012 for a 2014??? And before someone suggests that my car is not actually a 2014 - it has a 2014 VIN number, I have the matching original window sticker (not a copy) that indicates a Mod. Year 2014, the Owner's Manual shows a printing date of Dec. 2012... in fact all the original glove box booklets that came with the car are present and accounted for and they all show "first printing" and a 2012 date.

The car shows a date on the window sticker in the lower section where the dealer information is of June 2013. I assume this is a shipping date.

On the Carfax, there is not a Date of Manufacture listed as there was on the many other Mustangs I shopped. I also know that the original buyer took delivery on Christmas Eve 2013.

I'm not trying to say any of this make my car rare or special - but I am curious why a 2014 MY car would be built in 2012... seems strange to me. If anyone has any ideas, clues or knowledge about early build dates, I'd love to hear your feedback.:nerd:

See less See more
#2 ·
My 2011 was delivered to my dealer in May 2010. Ford does strange things with their model years :)

#4 ·
Ford did release the 2011 Mustangs in April 2010 as a throw back to the mid year release of the '64 'Stang .. I bought my 2010 in April 2010 and the dealer had a handful of 2011 Premium models .. I didn't know at that time what the 'Yote was capable of or I'd bought one instead of my 3v, but I only paid 22k OTD for the 3v with 20miles on the clock...

Ford would not have opened the order bank for the 2014 MY till December '12 and IIRC they would've started production in March 2013. A build date of 8/12 puts it squarely in the middle of the 2013 MY ..

EDIT:: OK, Just checked the door sticker on my wife's 2014, it shows 11/13, Window sticker build date was 11/13/13 ... Hummm, no wonder I can't stand that car ...

#5 ·
Thanks. I went through the link. It shows build date for my car to be 02/08/2013. So now I'm just more confused. And, I also noticed the site must be associated with Ford's European operations. Everything was all European terminology.... things like, "boot" and "bonnet" instead of trunk and hood, etc.:laugh2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.