Ford Mustang Forum banner

Rear Differential Cover Opinions

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  dt2010gt 
#1 ·
I plan on changing the differential fluid in the car and figured I'd upgrade the cover while I'm at it. I've mostly seen two styles out there, one that has adjustable braces for the bearing caps, and another that has a bunch of fins for cooling.

My car is 95% street driven and if it does see the track, it's drag racing, I'm just looking for input/experience/opinions/pros and cons/etc. regarding the two styles.

Thanks.

#2 ·
The one with the braces supports abuse like dumping the clutch. The on with the fins cools the rear axle better than stock.

If you drag race with slicks, brace.

If you track your car, fins.

If you daily drive, track your car, and drag race without slicks, then the finned one is enough unless you crank up the horses...

#3 ·
Keep the stamped steel cover unless you need something else. The finned cover means you have to take off the Panhard bar. Buy a lubelocker gasket to save headaches in the future.I through drilled the bottom hole to act as a drain.

#4 ·
I got the finned one to help keep the temps down on road track. I like it because it has a drain hole at the bottom and a fill hole at the top. I don't know of any problems with the panhard bar, but I had a shop install it and maybe they did not mention that they had to remove the panhard bar to install it. There are no clearance problems after installation. If you do go for the finned one, look for it on a parts web site such as Tasca parts .com; they can be had fairly cheap; but you will also need to source longer bolts because the original ones will be too short.

#5 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.