2014 Mustang GT supercharged dilemma. Need help, please. - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
SHELBY GT 350 Member

offer good on the WRX too..

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

You need good rubber, and good rubber all 4 corners. The only thing that handles worse than a Mustang is a staggered Mustang. Unless your only goal in life is to go straight, you should go for a square setup. I run 18x10.5 et38 Enkei PF01 with 275 35 R18 all 4 corners.

2012 V6 Base. 6-speed. 3.31. Roush Wheel Hop Kit. BMR 38mm Front Swaybar. Camber Modded Koni Yellow Struts. Linear Steeda Sport Springs. J&M Camber Plates. J&M Panhard Bar. Airaid Intake. 93R Bama Tune. BBK Ceramic Shorties. Carbon Fiber Trac-Lok w/ Finned Cover. Hawk SR pads. GT Rotors. Spec Al Flywheel & Stage I Clutch, 18x10.5 ET38 Enkei PF01 Wheels. 285 30 R18 RE-71r tires. Boss 302 Radiator.
Apprentice
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 740weapon View Post
You need good rubber, and good rubber all 4 corners. The only thing that handles worse than a Mustang is a staggered Mustang. Unless your only goal in life is to go straight, you should go for a square setup. I run 18x10.5 et38 Enkei PF01 with 275 35 R18 all 4 corners.
How can you say that when a GT350R has a staggered setup?

12 GT Brembo, MT82, 3.73 rear
Wheels/Tires - 19x10/11 SVE S350 w/ 285/35 Sumitomo HTR Z III & 305/35 Michelin Pilot Super Sports
Suspension - Strange Adj Shocks/Struts - FRPP K-Spring front, Eibach Sportline rear - J&M CC Plates - BMR LCA/Relo - Steeda Adj UCA - BMR Adj Panhard - FRPP Sway Bars - FRPP Jounce/Bump Kit
Drivetrain - Blowfish Racing Bracket - Spec Stage2 Clutch/Steel Flywheel - SVE Clutch Cable - ShaftMasters Aluminum Driveshaft
Exhaust - DNA T-304 1-7/8 Shorty Headers - Solo Mach Full Catback
Engine - Stock, for now...

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Hey U,

^took me a while to figure out what to call you (fwiw I use Mud)

To help you out what I'll suggest is we trade my V6 for your SC V8 which will give you a great opportunity to figure out which direction you want to go in. I've got friends that will vouch for me that while I will use it......I like cars so much that I even park rental cars at the far end of the parking lot so they don't get damaged.

Since I know I'll be making out on the trade I'll treat to lunch.

Jim
Hey, Jim,

You have no idea how close I came to making that trade with you. But I had a conversation with my youngest daughter and she wants this mustang when I'm done with it. Sorry.

And from now on I'll call you Mud instead of Strange. We typically use first names here in the North but I suppose in most of Asia and America the surname is the way to go.

Anyway, thanks for the reply, Mud, and have a really great rest of the day.

All the best.

2014 Gray Mustang

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourdegrees11 View Post
The fastest GT350 I know is running the same 305 30 R19 tire all 4 corners. The wheels are staggered as an unfortunate outcome of the track widths and body widths.
UUUd444 likes this.

2012 V6 Base. 6-speed. 3.31. Roush Wheel Hop Kit. BMR 38mm Front Swaybar. Camber Modded Koni Yellow Struts. Linear Steeda Sport Springs. J&M Camber Plates. J&M Panhard Bar. Airaid Intake. 93R Bama Tune. BBK Ceramic Shorties. Carbon Fiber Trac-Lok w/ Finned Cover. Hawk SR pads. GT Rotors. Spec Al Flywheel & Stage I Clutch, 18x10.5 ET38 Enkei PF01 Wheels. 285 30 R18 RE-71r tires. Boss 302 Radiator.
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, 740.

I had actually considered a square setup with 275/40/19 Super Sports so I could keep the track pack wheels which I am a bit partial to. Yes, square would be ideal, especially considering the extra weight up front with the supercharger. I need the 40 because of potholes around here and a bit more tire height to not reduce the 3.73 any further. I know, a 9" wheel is on the borderline for the 275's but if I go new wheels I will absolutely have to go big rear with straight lines more in mind than twists.

Then I run the risk of becoming the stereotypical mustang driver that fancies himself a drag racer no matter where he is or what law man is in the unmarked car behind him. I will surely end up on one of those Mustang youtube crash/bad driving compilations with my car spinning on its roof in a marked 20 mph zone.

Geeez.....no sleep for me tonight. I have to give this a lot more thought.

Again, thanks and all the best.

2014 Gray Mustang

Apprentice
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
The fastest GT350 I know is running the same 305 30 R19 tire all 4 corners. The wheels are staggered as an unfortunate outcome of the track widths and body widths.
You are still over hyping the negatives of a staggered set up and down playing the benefits. A high powered rwd street car needs grip on the rear tires more than it needs a possibly slightly faster lap time.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUUd444 View Post
Thanks, Leo. (Ray)

If I'm not mistaken, we've crossed paths before. Recent mustang buy for you? Hope all is going really well.

Wish I lived where you do. It would be great to mustang all year long and go hang out at the Masters when mustanging needs a break.

If the rods go....well....there's always the aluminator.

All the best.

Read that and just laughed.. Aluminator, yes, for sure the way to go.

Yes Sir, bought my 13 GT May 6th, and absolutely LOVE her. Yes, going wonderful, thank you !! What they did with this S197 Coyote blows my mind, and makes me feel so thankful everytime I drive this car.

I've been here maybe 24 years now (grew up in the Northeast), and how I miss the snow. But yes, Mustangs are 12 months/yr here, complete daily driver as my Jolie is now. She'll get parked on the one day of snow we have, and I'll have to watch the temp/tires a bit, but it is SO nice heading out on those those crisp North GA days all winter long.

Actually I'll be right over in that area there soon.. driving to MGW in Augusta for my shifter install in a month or two. If you ever make it down this way please let me know.

Ray
UUUd444 likes this.
PONY Member

Quote:
You are still over hyping the negatives of a staggered set up and down playing the benefits. A high powered rwd street car needs grip on the rear tires more than it needs a possibly slightly faster lap time.
But if the car can fit 10.5 inch wide wheels rotatable with at least 305 width tires all 4 corners, then why put skinny wheels and tires on the front? Because American Muscle sells it as a package?

post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
But if the car can fit 10.5 inch wide wheels rotatable with at least 305 width tires all 4 corners, then why put skinny wheels and tires on the front? Because American Muscle sells it as a package?
Well, I tried really hard but I can't even come close to imagining 305's on the front of a lowered mustang being able to turn lock to lock on the steering and not rubbing. Is this even possible?

Being able to rotate tires would be pretty nice.

I had recently gotten the impression that some here were unhappy with AM but if we all like them again I should indeed look into a massively staggered set to support them as you suggest and really get that muscle car look.

Thanks and all the best.

2014 Gray Mustang

Apprentice
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
But if the car can fit 10.5 inch wide wheels
rotatable with at least 305 width tires all 4 corners, then why put skinny wheels and tires on the front? Because American Muscle sells it as a package?
Of course going as wide as possible would be ideal, but 10.5"s that fit the front aren't exactly common. I imagine they aren't affordable either. Not everyone runs 8.5"s on the front. The last 2 sets of wheels LMR came out with are 10"/11" wide, flow formed and cheap. I would look there.
UUUd444 likes this.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
Happy Canada Day UUU, firstly my favourite Shelby quote is "too much power is just enough"
Secondly this hot rod bug NEVER goes away and
Thirdly my opinion is Long tubes, they will help you get rid of all that forced induction i.e. -more power - that'd be my next step......

Scott
UUUd444 likes this.

2014 GT Track Pack/Brembo/Recaro/Whiteline suspension system/Blowfish Racing shifter bracket - the 3.73 Torsen is so loud now that, with all due respect to Wade Chamberlain, BadFast has been renamed "The Whining Mistress"
F5 MKII
07 FatBoy
04 1200 XLC
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN5.0 View Post
Happy Canada Day UUU, firstly my favourite Shelby quote is "too much power is just enough"
Secondly this hot rod bug NEVER goes away and
Thirdly my opinion is Long tubes, they will help you get rid of all that forced induction i.e. -more power - that'd be my next step......

Scott
Just mounted a new flag and pole on the house. Happy Canada Day to you as well, Scott! Wooo hoooo...Go Canada!

You're right. Too much is exactly the right amount.

Have a great one.

All the best.
CDN5.0 likes this.

2014 Gray Mustang

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Lets all go to Tim Horton's to eat and do donuts.
CDN5.0 likes this.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Lets all go to Tim Horton's to eat and do donuts.
Had an informal vote around here and I'm happy to announce that Mr. Mud has been unofficially granted the status of 'Honorary Canadian', with all the benefits that go along with that.

Donut time.

Happy Canada Day, Mud.

All the best.

2014 Gray Mustang

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page