Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Beechkid
  • 1 Post By Leo41
  • 1 Post By dgc333

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Dealer used Volkwagen oil in my engine?

So, I've had this car for 2 months now, bought it from a audi/porsche dealership used at 17k miles and the vehicle runs great. Anyway, today I decided read a littler closer into some of the services that were done, and one of them was an oil change in May. And I saw that the oil part number they used is ZVW-352-520-Q-DSP, when I googled the ID number, it came up as Volkwagen oil. So my question is, how dangerous is it that they did not use the recommended manufacturer oil?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13A9478A-1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	703.0 KB
ID:	570297  

2014 Mustang GT Grabber Blue - Corbeau Front Sport Seats - Rear Seat Delete - Fog lights with Roush surrounds - CDC Performance upper grille - Roush High Flow Lower Grille - CDC Performance Deck Lip Panel - MMD painted tail light trim - MMD GT350 Style Quarter Window Covers - MMD Ducktail Rear Spoiler - BC Racing Fully Adjustable Coil-Over Suspension - Factory Brembo Brake Package - MBRP Race Exhaust /w off-road H pipe - 20 inch Velgen VMB5 Black Alloy Wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017
BOSS Member

not good at all.....IMHO, drain it asap and replace with the proper spec'd oil

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
not good at all.....IMHO, drain it asap and replace with the proper spec'd oil
To be more specific that part number apparently is Castrol Syntec 5W-40. I wonder how terrible it is for our 5.0 Engines..

2014 Mustang GT Grabber Blue - Corbeau Front Sport Seats - Rear Seat Delete - Fog lights with Roush surrounds - CDC Performance upper grille - Roush High Flow Lower Grille - CDC Performance Deck Lip Panel - MMD painted tail light trim - MMD GT350 Style Quarter Window Covers - MMD Ducktail Rear Spoiler - BC Racing Fully Adjustable Coil-Over Suspension - Factory Brembo Brake Package - MBRP Race Exhaust /w off-road H pipe - 20 inch Velgen VMB5 Black Alloy Wheels.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017
BOSS Member

The spec's are so different that only a real oil engineer would know, but, IMHO, it's nothing to panic over, but I would get it changed out asap
eliteplague likes this.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017
PONY Member

Checking on this looks to be equivalent to Castrol Syntec 5W 20 which is absolutely fine for your engine. They went so far as to get you a factory Ford oil filter which says a lot. I honestly would not be worried in the least, but you could have bought the oil cheaper and brought it yourself, next time.
eliteplague likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Checking on this looks to be equivalent to Castrol Syntec 5W 20 which is absolutely fine for your engine. They went so far as to get you a factory Ford oil filter which says a lot. I honestly would not be worried in the least, but you could have bought the oil cheaper and brought it yourself, next time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
The spec's are so different that only a real oil engineer would know, but, IMHO, it's nothing to panic over, but I would get it changed out asap

Okay, thanks for the reassurance. I'm going to get the oil changed myself, right now.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I'm pretty sure in the real world these days, any "decent" oil will meet or exceed the manufacturer's specs, so I don't think it is a big deal. That said, they only charged 5 bucks for the oil, so that tells me it is cheap stuff, whatever it is. I think I would change it out for a good synthetic just to be safe, and next time you go for an oil change, provide the oil. Some shops will scowl a bit if you ask them to do that, I guess they are offended that their oil is not good enough or too expensive, but usually they will do it.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member

agree....I wouldn't worry. As long as they used 8 qts.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017
Rookie

Garage
People get way too wound up about this stuff
it's one oil change. Over the course for the life of your car I highly doubt one oil change is going to make or break you.

2013 Mustang GT
GT Member

5W 40 is not equivalent to 5W 20

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

It is Castrol 5w,20, run it until it is time for an oil change and don't worry about it.
It is only VW oil if they put it in a VW, since it went into a Mustang it is Ford Oil.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

It's not like you got a blood transfusion from a sheep or something. Car people do tend to get a little OCD about things at times, including me but oil is not one of the things I get my shorts in a knot over. Even though I always use the same high quality brand and weight oil, I would not hesitate to use any other quality brand if mine were to suddenly go off the market.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.
PONY Member

FWIW, many dealerships buy oil in bulk from a local distributor and pump it through a distribution system in the garage. The only place you will get the manufactures oil is at the parts counter.
huberoy123 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page