Go back to stock 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Driving over to MGW in a couple of months for mine. They do the install free if you go to them, and I am only about 2 hrs away.
Ray, you're going to love that shifter! George (the owner) installed mine. He's a great guy. I had a good time talking with him. The install was only about 30 minutes!

Leo41 likes this.

2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual
Major Mods:
ProCharger P-1SC-1 Stage II, MGW Race Spec Shifter, Eibach Sportline Springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlg View Post
Let me know who you get to install it. I'm only about 20 minutes from you and may be interested also.

My friend is a mechanic and has been offering for the longest time now to install mine for free, but that is just too big of a favor to ask someone in my opinion. He is a great mechanic but is getting close to retirement age and having health issues, etc. So I feel kinda bad having him do it.

There are some places though about 30 minutes south of us that I think specialize in Mustang Mods
I'd say that if you have any mechanical aptitude, you can get this done yourself. As I mentioned in the post above me, the owner of MGW did mine in 30 minutes. He has two things going for him though; he's done it a billion times and he has a lift.

The process seemed pretty easy. Take apart the interior parts on the center console, loosen the trans crossmember to drop it a couple of inches, uninstall your old shifter setup, and install the MGW gear.

When I arrived at MGW, he had my shifter laid out on the table and assembled for installation in the car. He even had parts of it covered in Dynomat and had precut pieces of dynomat for the bottom of the trans tunnel (I think this is included with the kit but I'm not 100% sure). He said the 2015 and newer cars have insulation under the trans tunnel but our cars don't.

I HIGHLY suggest one of the weighted shift knobs that's optional with the MGW kit. All together it's a really nice package!!!!

Major Mods:
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCKer View Post
I'd say that if you have any mechanical aptitude, you can get this done yourself. As I mentioned in the post above me, the owner of MGW did mine in 30 minutes. He has two things going for him though; he's done it a billion times and he has a lift.

The process seemed pretty easy. Take apart the interior parts on the center console, loosen the trans crossmember to drop it a couple of inches, uninstall your old shifter setup, and install the MGW gear.

When I arrived at MGW, he had my shifter laid out on the table and assembled for installation in the car. He even had parts of it covered in Dynomat and had precut pieces of dynomat for the bottom of the trans tunnel (I think this is included with the kit but I'm not 100% sure). He said the 2015 and newer cars have insulation under the trans tunnel but our cars don't.

I HIGHLY suggest one of the weighted shift knobs that's optional with the MGW kit. All together it's a really nice package!!!!
The shifter can reuse the stock knob correct? Unless it is the shortened one. I have a shift knob that is a 1/2 lb. I want to reuse it on the X-Spec I am going to buy.

2011 V6 Mustang - Premium 202A Spec (Pony Package) - SOLD!

2014 V8 Mustang - Premium 400A Spec
6 Speed Manual, 3.31 Rear
Black, Charcoal Black
Comfort Package, Security System

PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighsayer11 View Post
The shifter can reuse the stock knob correct? Unless it is the shortened one. I have a shift knob that is a 1/2 lb. I want to reuse it on the X-Spec I am going to buy.
Yep. You should be good to go.

I'm using the customizable Weighted Gripper from MGW. I actually "designed" the laser etching on this one so George sent me one of these gratis. You can order your shift knob from him in different configurations and weights (different color top inserts, laser engravings, and different color stem finishes).

I love the feeling of my Weighted Gripper!!!!

This is the original Weighted Gripper that George installed when he did the installation of the shifter. Again, a great feeling shift knob!

And here are some random pics from when the MGW shifter was installed at MGW...

And interestingly enough, just in case you didn't know, MGW stands for "Maryland Gun Works" (if I remember correctly). Their main business is firearms parts and tools. And I didn't put that together until the next day when I was at work and I realized we had a couple of their sight pushers in our firearms maintenance room!
Leo41 likes this.

Major Mods:
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Just put in my order for an MGW X-Spec.

Also looks like some joker voted for me to go back to stock. NEVER!
GLOCKer likes this.

Black, Charcoal Black
Rookie

Had my MGW X-spec for about a year. Still have a hard time with high rev open throttle shifts, but not nearly as bad. All in all, it's the best shifter I've ever put my hands on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Rookie

Have you taken your shifter out and re applied grease and replaced the plastic ball socket bushing? If not that is why you are having vibration and lockout issues. It does not matter what part you put in. If you do not do some sort of maintance on anything, your shifter is 4 years old and you probably did not replace the plastic ball cup when you put the tri ax in, will fail until you do some maintance to that part or assembly. The cup is 20 bucks and the grease is 10. I personally would try that first.
PONY Member

I have a hurst shifter and love it, ut I real want to try the Barton Hybrid, I like the idea of it being mounted solidly to the trans and not the chassis.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Ok, so I installed the MGW yesterday.

Pros: Feels awesome to shift, solid and positive going into all gears. I had the Steeda setup with the Blowfish bracket, this is much better.
No vibration/noise under load.
One thing I like a lot, more force required to get into reverse. There were a few times with the Steeda where I thought I was in first and it was really reverse.
The shifter itself is really nice, it is a shame you don't see any of it once the car is all buttoned up.

Cons: Install without a lift was a PITA. If I had to do it again I would take it to a shop, working on ramps an jack stands doesn't give you much clearance to work with.
Instructions can get confusing around the part where you mount the MGW bridge, plus the instructions are on video only, would be nice to have a print out when actually doing the install.

I'll report back in about 500 miles to let everyone know how it is holding up.
GLOCKer likes this.

Black, Charcoal Black
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighsayer11 View Post
Ok, so I installed the MGW yesterday.

Pros: Feels awesome to shift, solid and positive going into all gears. I had the Steeda setup with the Blowfish bracket, this is much better.
No vibration/noise under load.
One thing I like a lot, more force required to get into reverse. There were a few times with the Steeda where I thought I was in first and it was really reverse.
The shifter itself is really nice, it is a shame you don't see any of it once the car is all buttoned up.

Cons: Install without a lift was a PITA. If I had to do it again I would take it to a shop, working on ramps an jack stands doesn't give you much clearance to work with.
Instructions can get confusing around the part where you mount the MGW bridge, plus the instructions are on video only, would be nice to have a print out when actually doing the install.

I'll report back in about 500 miles to let everyone know how it is holding up.
Congratulations!!!! Running the MGW stuff is just awesome driving compared to the the stock bits.

Major Mods:
PONY Member

Garage
Awesome choice; enjoy those shifts!

The Force truly is with you young Jedi!

2014 Mustang GT Coupe Premium. Options include: California Special package, comfort package, navigation, glass roof, shaker pro system, 3.73 ratio limited slip axle, GT front grill/fogs, MGW race spec shifter, BBK X-Pipe, Corsa GT500 Quad Sport axle-back, Ford Racing ProCal tune. "If I wanted insane HP, I would have purchased a 2014 Shelby GT500!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page