Mustang Rental - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Strange Mud

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Mustang Rental

Does anyone know if I can rent a 10-14 mustangs in the Chicago area? I'm thinking of buying one but I have not seen one I like here but I see a lot in other parts of the country. I don't want to fly out to North Carolina just see if I like driving one. I drove the 2008 one when I rented it from Hertz back in a day and I loved it. I also drove the 2016 one and I hated it - would never buy one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I would look for one on a dealer lot sometimes you can rent from them. Ask about a 3 day test drive. Google "private car rental service" similar to airbnb,vrbo,etc. how different are the available ones compared to what you want? just curious..other than V6/V8 MT/AT and even those you can ignore the V6/V8 difference. it's huge but easy to imagine.

Beechkid likes this.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017
PONY Member

Here is a link for the division of Enterprise "Enterprise Exotic" that handles that in the Chicago area.

https://exoticcars.enterprise.com/en...s/chicago.html

Looks like different areas offer different "exotics", Chicago may not do Mustangs, I'd call them.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan3 View Post
Does anyone know if I can rent a 10-14 mustangs in the Chicago area? I'm thinking of buying one but I have not seen one I like here but I see a lot in other parts of the country. I don't want to fly out to North Carolina just see if I like driving one. I drove the 2008 one when I rented it from Hertz back in a day and I loved it. I also drove the 2016 one and I hated it - would never buy one.
although I can't help you out on this.....I want to highly commend you for doing what you are doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we have always done that....find and rent a car for a week of what we are looking to buy...... that is the best way of determining if it really is what you want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017
Apprentice

What did you hate about the 2016?

I've got a 2013 GT and it literally makes me laugh out loud every few times I drive it. If you don't have fun driving a mustang, you might be dead.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

mustang rental

Thanks all for replies. The problem is that I'm looking for only black one with leather and stick shift. V6 would do it I think. Really hard to find one - in my price range that is. The closest to me is 3.5 hrs drive. It's a 2010 GT with 130k miles for $9900, automatic. I'm worried about high mileage automatics. I'm afraid to go to dealer because once they'll suck you in they won't let you go. I think I've heard of three days test drive, but I'm guessing that applies only to new cars.
The 2016 mustangs look absolutely bad ass but when I rented one I couldn't wait to go back to my 4 banger honda. For one, it was a V6 automatic. It was gutless. I couldn't understand why until I learned it was 3.7, and not the old 4.0 engine I had so much fun with. Also, the newest mustangs are a LOT heavier than the previous generations. The GT V8 would obviously do the trick. The second problem was that it was very uncomfortable. You sit very low and the side window is really high. I tried to raise the seat but before I found a more comfortable position I would already reach the headliner. I kept adjusting and adjusting. I don't know. I just felt very claustrophobic. That was the deal breaker.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

I would do a search for a 2011-2014 Mustang GT,you will find one that you will fall in love with,the new A/T are very stout hardly any problems,good luck and keep us posted, pic's are a must when you find one. LOL.
5.0 Coyote
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017
PONY Member
2.3L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan3 View Post
For one, it was a V6 automatic. It was gutless. I couldn't understand why until I learned it was 3.7, and not the old 4.0 engine I had so much fun with. .

Having owned a 2007 4.0 V6, and currently owning a 2011 3.7 V6, The 2011 is not gutless compared to what the 2007. I haven't tried a 2015-17 V6 yet.

2007 4.0 V6 Mustang, Victim of Black Ice
1989 2.3 Fastback, traded for:
2011 3.7 Pony Package, Traded for:
2018 GT 5.0 Premium
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Big name Rental companies don't rent cars that old. Bad for business. Maybe rent-a-wreck rents them that old.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Yeah, you can rent a current model from Enterprise, Hertz, National too I think -- but not earlier years. My best suggestion is "google it" It is a great idea to rent one though; I did that before I decided between Mustang and Camaro back in 2010 and it really helped with the decision.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post
Having owned a 2007 4.0 V6, and currently owning a 2011 3.7 V6, The 2011 is not gutless compared to what the 2007. I haven't tried a 2015-17 V6 yet.
Yeah, I don't get that either, the 3.7 is a hell of a lot more powerful than the old 4.0.
PONY Member

There's a great app called "Turo."
Essentially it's like Airbnb but for cars. PLENTY of mustangs around my area of all years.

2001 Mustang GT - Crashed (Other person's fault) Stock.
2003 Mustang GT - Sold
Lowered, Flowmaster catbacks, CAI + Tune, 5% tint all around, American racing wheels.
2005 Mustang GT - Traded in
"Performance" spark plugs and ignition coils, 5% tint on back 3 - 20% on front two, 20 inch silver AMR wheels
2011 Mustang GT - BEAST
5% tint all around. 2014 GT premium wheels. Roush axleback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page