MGW Shifter, but which one? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
carl...do you let the centering springs find 3rd for you?

Of course. I've received this advice a long time ago (I think from you).

It's such a rare occurrence that I have an issue, but still a little frustrating when it does happen. I'm kinda a perfectionist with the car.

2016 GT/CS. Automatic, convertible. So far 100% stock!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member

I find myself missing/blocked etc every once in a while too. It's rare and the longer I have it (6yrs/35K nice day toy) the more I like it the MT-82. But, it is fussy. I've done pretty much all the shifting mods to it and think it it just the nature of the beast. As long as it doesn't grind it's good.

side note: I got to do two separate 3rd gear down shift passes on the back roads coming home late last night after date night with Mrs Mud. She's gotten used to those

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlg View Post
OK, at this time it's kind of obvious that everyone in the Mustang world thinks the MGW shifter is the best. It's plastered all over every Mustang forum on the web including this one.

So now, I ask which MGW shifter? And which combo of components?

MGW offers 2 different shifters for our cars, the Standard and the XSpec. I had a local shop that specializes in Mustang mods recommend the XSpec to me. But, the scoop from MGW's Facebook page suggests that the XSpec does give a shorter throw, but it does cause more wear and tear on the transmission.

Now I am not really a racer and I'm trying to just have a nice street car so my purpose for wanting the shifter is just to clean up the existing one (You know, the missed shifts, etc.).

So which one??

Next option is the stick. They have a standard and low profile? Which one and why?

Next option is the knob. There are several options here. Which one and why?

Thanks!!
I am new to the forum, but one of the first mods I performed on my 2017 GT with performance package was to get the MGW shifter. Yeah, I agonized over what to replace the stock one with....Steeda, Barton, MGW, etc.. As it turns out, I had business in Augusta, GA and am only about a 3 hour drive away. I spoke to the people there and ordered the X-Spec with the standard handle. To be honest: I COULD NOT BE ANY HAPPIER!!!! The X-Spec is a little shorter throw, but the standard handle means you can have a Starbucks cup in the console cup-holder and still be able to reach the shifter. I made an appointment and George (the owner) installed the shifter on my new Mustang himself. What a heck of a guy! You talk about top-notch....add a notch above that! He couldn't have been any friendlier. It took about an hour, as he has had plenty of experience. His Shelby GT350 was right next to my car...sweeet. I opted for the black ball MGW shift knob, since my car is the Magnetic (metallic grey) color with a black interior. Very understated and I would not change it now 6+ months past install. They can set you up to have the stock type 'lift-up' ring for engaging reverse or have it the way they designed with 'push-down up and left'. You will NEVER hit reverse accidentally with their set-up.

A few points to make, since I would have loved someone to let me know before purchase/install: 1) the default gate is for the 3-4 gears, meaning if you just go forward and backwards with the shifter you always get gear 3 and 4, 2) gears 1-2 require pressure to the left (spring loaded) to hit that gate/those gears, and 3) gears 5-6 need pressure towards the right to engage that gate. It is so damn straightforward that if you miss a gear...you should be ashamed of yourself and I would be inclined not to tell anyone. It would be like walking and tripping over your own feet. The spring pressure for left and right gates gets smoother over time, making it very enjoyable. It is not the sloppy vague feel of the factory shifter. To say I did not care for the sloppy vague factory shifter is just being honest, but once you get the MGW installed....you could NEVER go back! The stiffness of the new MGW shifter is somwhat like a brand new gun...like a bolt action rifle. Certainly it works great when new, but give it some usage and it 'breaks-in'. George told me about this and this is not my first modified car...and I've had my fair share of guns...so I expected it. Within about 4 weeks I loved the way it felt much better (worn in a little) and now after about 7-8 months.....WOW! I hope this reply was some help to anyone out there that reads it. Great shifter! Great company! Great owner! Honest.

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackDad View Post
I am new to the forum, but one of the first mods I performed on my 2017 GT with performance package was to get the MGW shifter. Yeah, I agonized over what to replace the stock one with....Steeda, Barton, MGW, etc.. As it turns out, I had business in Augusta, GA and am only about a 3 hour drive away. I spoke to the people there and ordered the X-Spec with the standard handle. To be honest: I COULD NOT BE ANY HAPPIER!!!! The X-Spec is a little shorter throw, but the standard handle means you can have a Starbucks cup in the console cup-holder and still be able to reach the shifter. I made an appointment and George (the owner) installed the shifter on my new Mustang himself. What a heck of a guy! You talk about top-notch....add a notch above that! He couldn't have been any friendlier. It took about an hour, as he has had plenty of experience. His Shelby GT350 was right next to my car...sweeet. I opted for the black ball MGW shift knob, since my car is the Magnetic (metallic grey) color with a black interior. Very understated and I would not change it now 6+ months past install. They can set you up to have the stock type 'lift-up' ring for engaging reverse or have it the way they designed with 'push-down up and left'. You will NEVER hit reverse accidentally with their set-up.

A few points to make, since I would have loved someone to let me know before purchase/install: 1) the default gate is for the 3-4 gears, meaning if you just go forward and backwards with the shifter you always get gear 3 and 4, 2) gears 1-2 require pressure to the left (spring loaded) to hit that gate/those gears, and 3) gears 5-6 need pressure towards the right to engage that gate. It is so damn straightforward that if you miss a gear...you should be ashamed of yourself and I would be inclined not to tell anyone. It would be like walking and tripping over your own feet. The spring pressure for left and right gates gets smoother over time, making it very enjoyable. It is not the sloppy vague feel of the factory shifter. To say I did not care for the sloppy vague factory shifter is just being honest, but once you get the MGW installed....you could NEVER go back! The stiffness of the new MGW shifter is somwhat like a brand new gun...like a bolt action rifle. Certainly it works great when new, but give it some usage and it 'breaks-in'. George told me about this and this is not my first modified car...and I've had my fair share of guns...so I expected it. Within about 4 weeks I loved the way it felt much better (worn in a little) and now after about 7-8 months.....WOW! I hope this reply was some help to anyone out there that reads it. Great shifter! Great company! Great owner! Honest.
Very helpful. Thank you for the response. This will probably be my next mod after i finish the exhaust!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Placed my order toady.
I went with Standard Shifter, Low Profile Stick, and Gripper Knob

2016 GT/CS. Automatic, convertible. So far 100% stock!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page