Potential Buyer of 2012 GT/CS with engine ticking - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By crjackson2134

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Potential Buyer of 2012 GT/CS with engine ticking

Hi Guys,

New member here. I have been talking to a guy with a 2012 Mustang GT/CS with 75k miles. Has HIDs, Glass roof, 6 speed, and is in pretty good shape. He noted that recently the car started making a ticking noise when the car is in higher RPMs (1800-3500 ish) and does not tick at idle. I have googled this issue and most/all threads I found appear to be when the cars were newer so I don't think those issues would relate.

He brought it to a buddy of his and he ran a compression test which turned out that there is lower compression in cylinder 7 (dont know the exact numbers). Could this be a sticky lifter, broken piston ring or maybe a valve trane issue? Any other ideas?

I can get it for around 12k ish which got me wondering if it is worth it to take the risk. Worst case scenario, how much would you expect me to have to pay to get it fixed (I know its hard to say).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017
Apprentice
S197 Member

Garage
Sorry I cant help with the ticking issue, just wanted to say that price sounds too good to be true. Accidents, salvage title?

12 GT Brembo, MT82, 3.73 rear
Wheels/Tires - 19x10/11 SVE S350 w/ 285/35 Sumitomo HTR Z III & 305/35 Michelin Pilot Super Sports
Suspension - Strange Adj Shocks/Struts - FRPP K-Spring front, Eibach Sportline rear - J&M CC Plates - BMR LCA/Relo - Steeda Adj UCA - BMR Adj Panhard - FRPP Sway Bars - FRPP Jounce/Bump Kit
Drivetrain - Blowfish Racing Bracket - Spec Stage2 Clutch/Steel Flywheel - SVE Clutch Cable - ShaftMasters Aluminum Driveshaft
Exhaust - DNA T-304 1-7/8 Shorty Headers - Solo Mach Full Catback
Engine - Stock, for now...

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

There are a few threads on here about the ticking, I don't know the story so don't want to try to summarize, try some searches and you should have some good reading.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereknel015 View Post
Hi Guys,

New member here. I have been talking to a guy with a 2012 Mustang GT/CS with 75k miles. Has HIDs, Glass roof, 6 speed, and is in pretty good shape. He noted that recently the car started making a ticking noise when the car is in higher RPMs (1800-3500 ish) and does not tick at idle. I have googled this issue and most/all threads I found appear to be when the cars were newer so I don't think those issues would relate.

He brought it to a buddy of his and he ran a compression test which turned out that there is lower compression in cylinder 7 (dont know the exact numbers). Could this be a sticky lifter, broken piston ring or maybe a valve trane issue? Any other ideas?

I can get it for around 12k ish which got me wondering if it is worth it to take the risk. Worst case scenario, how much would you expect me to have to pay to get it fixed (I know its hard to say).

Thanks
Hereís the thing. Engines make all kinds of noises and are described as ticking or knocking generically. You canít really diagnose such problems over the Internet using text based communications and be effective for the most part.

Take the car to a reputable shop and pay for a proper diagnosis.

Compression variance isnít a good sign, you didnít mention how much difference. Minor differences are considered normal but honestly, if itís a significant difference, I would investigate this further before purchasing.
5.0 Coyote, dusman59 and CDN5.0 like this.

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourdegrees11 View Post
Sorry I cant help with the ticking issue, just wanted to say that price sounds too good to be true. Accidents, salvage title?
Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
Hereís the thing. Engines make all kinds of noises and are described as ticking or knocking generically. You canít really diagnose such problems over the Internet using text based communications and be effective for the most part.

Take the car to a reputable shop and pay for a proper diagnosis.

Compression variance isnít a good sign, you didnít mention how much difference. Minor differences are considered normal but honestly, if itís a significant difference, I would investigate this further before purchasing.
Both of these are very valid points and you should really consider them deeply.

I think I would pass personally.

Do post the compression info as that will really help...

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page