Bolt-Ons Build With Dyno - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GLD

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017 Thread Starter
GLD
Apprentice

Bolt-Ons Build With Dyno

I rarely post but do vulture stalk quite a bit. I wanted to post this pseudo build thread and hopefully it is meaningful to anyone looking to do mods in case they search the forum database so I'll try to use as many "buzzwords" as I can. I own a Lava Red 2012 5.0. I rarely drive it. I bought it in March of 2011 and it currently has about 35K miles on it. BUT, this summer I decided to do some tasteful upgrades.

At first I was going to install everything myself and started... I was able to get all the suspension mods in, the gt500 BBK (big brake kit 6 pistons), konis, & springs...all in the driveway on jack stands. Installation of the rear gt500 rotors was the most involved because I had to bust the pumpkin and remove the axles but overall, it was tedious but not difficult. If I had it to do again I wouldn't, not because of the difficulty of the install but because the wheel options become limited once you install the bigger rear rotors (the calipers are the same). I'd say that nothing with smaller than a +45mm offset will now fit in the rear as a result (Ask me how I found that out the hard way :-/). Sidenote: I am not a great mechanic. I push paper in my day job. But I figure, at the end of the day it is just turning bolts on a mustang so it's can't be too hard, I was pretty much right.

I live in Tulsa. And well, it was a cool 100 degrees with anywhere between 30-60% humidity everyday around this time in the summer. So, I could really only dedicate about 1 to 1.5 hours in the evening to work on it. It was going to take me forever to get the full install done (headers, clutch, ford performance cobra jet intake) so at this point I decided to take it to a speed shop. This is where things went left. They just so happened to be having a supercharger special when I dropped my car off. They got me to bite. I ended up with the VMP stage one kit. I was already eyeing the VMP kit at the time but didn't plan on committing until maybe sometime down the road. I thought about it and well, you only live once and can't take it with you. So I took the plunge. The shop that built the car is Archangel Motorsports LLC here in Tulsa and you can find the dyno on their FB page. I won't link it because you can easily find it if you search. They have a public page and it is the video "Gen2 R TVS Base Kit making some power". That particular dyno was 598/542. It ended up at 617/547 to the tire. (DYNO)

I am still breaking in the clutch so I haven't been able to stomp on it really but the tune so far is great. Drives like stock. The clutch (of all things) is taking some getting used to. It was VERY vague at first. BUT, as it has broken in, it has gotten really good and almost feels like the stock clutch, just a little stiffer. The MGW shifter is neat. To all those that haven't had the pleasure of feeling one, it takes away ALL the notchiness, at least mine did. That actually took some (additional) getting used to. The stock shifter is like clutch in, pull, clank, gear. This...The first time I put it in gear, I wasn't sure it was in really in gear because there wasn't the customary "notch/shuclank/thunk" into gear. Just smooth transition. The clutch, MGW, and one piece drive shaft that i got make the entire drivetrain a lot more enjoyable. MUCH easier to rev match. Seriously, I can't emphasize that rev match ease enough. NICE!

It is a great car so far. I plan on (probably after the winter season) rear upper and lower control arms, front LCA, and maybe coil overs instead of the koni/spring combo. That is pretty much it, if you have questions fire away. I'll answer whatever you have to the best I can. I'd have updated pics but its been raining here the last few days. As soon as it stops, I'll update with pics. :-)

GD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLD View Post
I rarely post but do vulture stalk quite a bit. I wanted to post this pseudo build thread and hopefully it is meaningful to anyone looking to do mods in case they search the forum database so I'll try to use as many "buzzwords" as I can. I own a Lava Red 2012 5.0. I rarely drive it. I bought it in March of 2011 and it currently has about 35K miles on it. BUT, this summer I decided to do some tasteful upgrades.

It is a great car so far. I plan on (probably after the winter season) rear upper and lower control arms, front LCA, and maybe coil overs instead of the koni/spring combo. That is pretty much it, if you have questions fire away. I'll answer whatever you have to the best I can. I'd have updated pics but its been raining here the last few days. As soon as it stops, I'll update with pics. :-)GD
Wow! Talk about night and day before and after. Awesome!

I would like to see the picture of all the blower kit parts along with the take off parts from your engine and front end. That, beside your front lawn parts layout would be truly intimidating. Can't imagine the thrill of your first drive in 'After' mode.

Congrats, man. Have a blast and be safe.

All the best.

2014 Gray Mustang

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017
Apprentice
S197 Member

Garage
Wow congrats!

12 GT Brembo, MT82, 3.73 rear
Wheels/Tires - 19x10/11 SVE S350 w/ 285/35 Sumitomo HTR Z III & 305/35 Michelin Pilot Super Sports
Suspension - Strange Adj Shocks/Struts - FRPP K-Spring front, Eibach Sportline rear - J&M CC Plates - BMR LCA/Relo - Steeda Adj UCA - BMR Adj Panhard - FRPP Sway Bars - FRPP Jounce/Bump Kit
Drivetrain - Blowfish Racing Bracket - Spec Stage2 Clutch/Steel Flywheel - SVE Clutch Cable - ShaftMasters Aluminum Driveshaft
Exhaust - DNA T-304 1-7/8 Shorty Headers - Solo Mach Full Catback
Engine - Stock, for now...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Awesome! Iím jealous . Only question I have is the Black UA looking color. You said the car is Lava Red. Who painted it black, or is that a different (pseudo) car in the pic?

Really nice wheels...

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)

Last edited by crjackson2134; 09-29-2017 at 12:44 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017 Thread Starter
GLD
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
Awesome! Iím jealous . Only question I have is the Black UA color. You said the car is Lava Red. Who painted it black, or is that a different (pseudo) car in the pic?

Really nice wheels...

Ha! That never even occurred to me to comment on that. I guess I'm so used to people thinking it is black (Lava owners will understand)... It isn't painted. It is LR in those pics. You can see the color better in my profile pic...Just takes the right light to see the "red" in the paint, especially in a photo.

GD
crjackson2134 likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017
Apprentice

Awesome build! Definitely keep us posted on how it hooks once you get that clutch broken in. Any plans to make some 1/4 mile passes at a local track?

'12 Candy Red Metallic GT (Roxanne):
Current - 3.31 gears, SR Performance strut tower brace, Koni orange shocks & struts, Whiteline panhard bar, Steeda Sport springs, BMR rear LCAs, JLT CAI, 93 octane tune, Barton shifter bracket, Raxiom projector headlights, Exedy Stage 3 clutch, Exedy lightweight flywheel, McLeod clutch cable, MBRP Installer axle-backs
Coming soon - ???
Coming eventually - more suspension upgrades (front LCAs, rear UCAs, front and rear sway bars), maybe a turbo?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLD View Post
Ha! That never even occurred to me to comment on that. I guess I'm so used to people thinking it is black (Lava owners will understand)... It isn't painted. It is LR in those pics. You can see the color better in my profile pic...Just takes the right light to see the "red" in the paint, especially in a photo.

GD
My old eyes have deceived me more than once. I am in fact somewhat color blind but I never imagined I would mistake something red for black. It must be really dark indeed. Dark blue has fooled me many times though.

Very nice!

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017
Apprentice

Garage
Congrats on that man and I see some good numbers!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017
GT Member

That Lava Red is one awesome and rare color. In the right light one will always take a double take thinking their eyes are playing tricks.

2011 Red Candy /build 2/1/11/ 401A
MT with Redline MTL/ Brembos/355's/glass roof
Shaker 1000/Scoops/Clear bra/Steeda UCA and PH bar
Redline hood lifts/Bilsteins with Ford Racing P springs & axle bks
UPR catch can/whiteline kdt928/MGW shifter with Epco ball
Shaftmasters DS/BMR loop & relocation brackets
Nitto 555 G2's/Steeda jack rails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page