• 1 Post By Luke_Warmwater

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

How Do I Remove This?

Photo shows the bent rock guard at the front of the passenger side rear wheel well. How do I remove it and replace it? I can't find where it fastens to the wheel well.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0519.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	583849  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017
PONY Member

I think there is no way to remove that as it is part of the side rocker. Best you can probably do is attempt to bend it back into place carefully using a heat gun.

Check out the pics of the side rockers american muscle sells: https://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-...g-rh-1014.html

Honestly I wouldn't fret too much over this.

2011 V6 Mustang - Premium 202A Spec (Pony Package) - SOLD!

2014 V8 Mustang - Premium 400A Spec
6 Speed Manual, 3.31 Rear
Black, Charcoal Black
Comfort Package, Security System
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

I have had that happen to my Mustang a couple of times,bend it back so it is straight,a hair dryer with a little heat,I then place a brick next to it for a little while,it will come out perfect again. You don't need to do anything else.Keep us posted.
5.0 Coyote
crjackson2134 likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
I removed the passenger side one on my '12 one night - it was easy, all it took was a dark county road and a large piece of a dead deer.
Better to try and straighten it, the replacement piece at the stealerships was near $100 CDN as I recall.

Scott
my89foxbody likes this.

2014 GT Track Pack/Brembo/Recaro/Whiteline suspension system/Blowfish Racing shifter bracket - the 3.73 Torsen is so loud now that, with all due respect to Wade Chamberlain, BadFast has been renamed "The Whining Mistress"
F5 MKII
07 FatBoy
04 1200 XLC
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017
PONY Member

He's going to go nuts when the front lower air dam rubber starts coming off. That sucker you have to replace the whole valence if he loses it...

2011 V6 Mustang - Premium 202A Spec (Pony Package) - SOLD!

2014 V8 Mustang - Premium 400A Spec
6 Speed Manual, 3.31 Rear
Black, Charcoal Black
Comfort Package, Security System
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

After reading this thread, had to look at mine. The one on the driver side is there and in correct position. The one on the passenger side is missing completely. I would have never known. My advice, just cut it off, you'll never notice..
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017
PONY Member

There are a couple of small torx head screws that hold them on. You'll have to jack the car up to get good access to them as they are on the bottom of the plastic rockers. The one on the drivers side on my car got bent from something, but I was able to remove the screws and straighten it and put the screws back in.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighsayer11 View Post
He's going to go nuts when the front lower air dam rubber starts coming off. That sucker you have to replace the whole valence if he loses it...

That's if you want to replace it. I ran headfirst into an empty plastic five gallon fuel can one night damaging the air dam. I ended up grabbing the torn side and ripped it off the car. Not one person has commented on the missing lower valance and it did not adversely affect performance of the car.

I also cut off the rear rock/splash guards because I couldn't keep them aligned.

By my estimate I trimmed 1 lb off the car and gained 1/2 sec in the 10 mile run and saved 1/2 oz fuel every tank.
5.0 Coyote and MustangLife like this.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRacer View Post
There are a couple of small torx head screws that hold them on. You'll have to jack the car up to get good access to them as they are on the bottom of the plastic rockers. The one on the drivers side on my car got bent from something, but I was able to remove the screws and straighten it and put the screws back in.
This is correct- I removed mine to straighten them as well. After unscrewing it you will need to pull on the end of the rocker panel and the spat at the same time to wiggle it out as it extends underneath. When I got mine out I was also able to remove a TON of rocks and crap that had gotten in there.

These are also called tire spats and are supposed to improve aero- I put mine back in after straightening them out since I trust the Ford engineers know what they're doing.

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic 5.0 GT Premium, Manual, 3.73, Brembo, HIDs

Mods: 2010 AM GT500 wheels + Bridgestone Potenza S-04, GT500 axleback, MGW race spec, FRPP P springs, KONI STR.T struts/shocks, Steeda adj. panhard, BMR rear LCAs+relocation brackets
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

[/QUOTE]Honestly I wouldn't fret too much over this.[/QUOTE]

LOL....If only that was possible. I am a perfectionist.

Once it warms up a bit, I will pull the wheel off and heat up the rock guard and push it back into place. Will it stay put, or do they have a tendency to spring back to the bent position? If that doesn't work, I will be compelled to remove and replace. See above...
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Perfect. I knew there had to be others out there that this happened to.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Removed the spat the other day. It was held on by one Torx screw that is accessed from the bottom of the rocker panel. Went down to my local Ford dealer. It took the parts guy a couple of minutes to find the part. Ford calls it a "wind deflector". Retail price is $78.00 CDN. I talked them down to $65.00. Part is coming from Texas and will be here in a week or so.
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke_Warmwater View Post
Removed the spat the other day. It was held on by one Torx screw that is accessed from the bottom of the rocker panel. Went down to my local Ford dealer. It took the parts guy a couple of minutes to find the part. Ford calls it a "wind deflector". Retail price is $78.00 CDN. I talked them down to $65.00. Part is coming from Texas and will be here in a week or so.
HOLY CRAP!! You actually spent $65 to fix that to be "perfect"??? You are either a true hard perfectionist, have more money than you know what to do with, or maybe a little mix of both... To each their own I suppose is the correct saying here. Me I just think what else could I have bought with that cash. hahaha
5.0 Coyote likes this.

Current Mustang
2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.

Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9.)
2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT (I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Done!

Was a little fiddly, but not too bad to put on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0520.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	584193  
5.0 Coyote likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page