• 1 Post By NorCal

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

It crackles. Why does it crackle?

I have a 2014 GT with the electronics package (HD Radio, nav, voice activated commands, etc.) The left (drivers side) rear speaker has started to make a crackling sound intermittently. This sound occurs when the vehicle is idling or being driven. It occurs when I have the music system turned on, but ALSO OCCURS when the music system is turned off. I know it is coming from the left rear speaker, because when I unplug that speaker, the crackling stops. I am not the original owner, so I can't say how loud the previous owner liked to listen to music.

Blown speaker? Has anyone else had this issue? Why is it intermittent and why does it occur when the sound system is turned off? Does this speaker stay live all the time to enable door chimes, ignition chimes, etc to be heard?

2014 Mustang GT Premium- MT, Ruby Red, 3.73 Torsen, Brembo Brakes, Track Pack, Comfort Package, Electronics Package, Rear Sensing System, Security Package, Rear Video Camera, Barton Short Throw Shifter and bracket, RedLine Tuning Hood Struts, Borla Touring axle back exhaust, Boss 302 shift knob, alcantara suede shift boot and e-brake boot, K&N air filter, etc.

1993 Corvette Convertible LT1

2018 BMW R1200GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

The factory speakers are total crap. I bought Pioneer speakers from Best Buy for $49 US & they are marked "Ford & Mazda" right on the box & should bolt right into place in the rear IIRC.

Luke_Warmwater and 5.0 Coyote like this.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke_Warmwater View Post
I have a 2014 GT with the electronics package (HD Radio, nav, voice activated commands, etc.) The left (drivers side) rear speaker has started to make a crackling sound intermittently. This sound occurs when the vehicle is idling or being driven. It occurs when I have the music system turned on, but ALSO OCCURS when the music system is turned off. I know it is coming from the left rear speaker, because when I unplug that speaker, the crackling stops. I am not the original owner, so I can't say how loud the previous owner liked to listen to music.

Blown speaker? Has anyone else had this issue? Why is it intermittent and why does it occur when the sound system is turned off? Does this speaker stay live all the time to enable door chimes, ignition chimes, etc to be heard?
Yeah the previous owner could have damaged the voice coil, best to just go buy a couple of replacements at Best Buy or Pep Boys.
Luke_Warmwater likes this.

2011 V6 Mustang - Premium 202A Spec (Pony Package) - SOLD!

2014 V8 Mustang - Premium 400A Spec
6 Speed Manual, 3.31 Rear
Black, Charcoal Black
Comfort Package, Security System

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Remember the speakers are 2 ohm, I put JBL's in the back of mine.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
Remember the speakers are 2 ohm, I put JBL's in the back of mine.
Looking at some Kenwood Road Series 6" x 8" speakers online. They are rated at 4 ohm. Will these work?

2014 Mustang GT Premium- MT, Ruby Red, 3.73 Torsen, Brembo Brakes, Track Pack, Comfort Package, Electronics Package, Rear Sensing System, Security Package, Rear Video Camera, Barton Short Throw Shifter and bracket, RedLine Tuning Hood Struts, Borla Touring axle back exhaust, Boss 302 shift knob, alcantara suede shift boot and e-brake boot, K&N air filter, etc.

2018 BMW R1200GS
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Looking at some Kenwood Road Series 6" x 8" speakers online. They are rated at 4 ohm. Will these work?
They will but will loose some of the volume from what I understand.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

So the consensus thus far is that I need new rear speakers. My original question still stands though. Why is the left rear speaker crackling when the stereo is turned off?

2018 BMW R1200GS
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018
PONY Member

Quote:
So the consensus thus far is that I need new rear speakers. My original question still stands though. Why is the left rear speaker crackling when the stereo is turned off?
Could be a grounding issue. Have you checked the connections to the speakers via the trunk?

Also, I wonder if sync is still active across your speakers even though the radio/audio is turned off.

Black, Charcoal Black
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member

swap speakers (L to R) before buying new ones....my 1st guess would be bad head unit or wires.
5.0 Coyote likes this.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Apprentice

+1 for Neighsayer & Mud. It sounds to me too that this is more an electrical issue than blown speaker. As mentioned above, the issue could actually be in the console w/the head unit, could involve the Sync unit...electrical issues can bastards to isolate/diagnose. But a speaker swap would be the logical place to start, then work your way forward. Look for pinched wires?
Beechkid likes this.

Current: Gunmetal Grey 2013 GT Premium auto coupe. 275/40r18 Nitto 555 G2 tires on matte black Niche Misano 18x9 wheels.

Totaled: Brown 2005 GT auto: bone stock, except brand-new Nitto 555s and an Android head unit. RIP.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Does it snap and pop too?

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Does it snap and pop too?

Only when I pour milk on it. Wait a minute....maybe that's the problem???

2018 BMW R1200GS
PONY Member

Do Strange Mud's suggestion first, I was going to tell you to see if the speaker makes a scratching noise when you manually actuate it (pushing on the cone gently), but in order to do this you have to have access to the top of the speaker and you might as well replace them if you've gotten this far.

Black, Charcoal Black
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Update: So I talked to my electronics/car stereo guy and he says he is 90 percent sure that the problem lies with the amp. Is the amplifier a stand alone unit in the dash, or is it incorporated into the head unit/navigation? I have Sync.

2018 BMW R1200GS
PONY Member

Quote:
Update: So I talked to my electronics/car stereo guy and he says he is 90 percent sure that the problem lies with the amp. Is the amplifier a stand alone unit in the dash, or is it incorporated into the head unit/navigation? I have Sync.
The Shaker Amp for the door subs should be located on the driver's side kick panel to the left of clutch pedal above your hood release latch. The amp for the rest of the speakers is integrated into the HU.

If it is your HU that is screwed up, I would just buy a Metra 99-5839CH and a nice double din unit with nav. Factory nav is discontinued and there are better units out there from folks like Pioneer.

Black, Charcoal Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page