What suspension parts should I get? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

What suspension parts should I get?

I have some cash to burn so I'm thinking of upgrading the suspension on my 2013 GT. Maybe you guys could help me out.

I looked into springs, sway bars, strut tower brace, control arms, and pan hard bars.

But here are my goals:
  • I want to lower the car. I am more interested in the level look than I am eliminating wheel gap. I want the car to look level, not with the rear end higher like it sits from the factory. This is priority #1.
  • I do not drag race, but may consider it in the future.
  • I want to keep a quality comfortable ride. I don't want to feel every bump, but handling around corners would be nice. The stock Mustang seems OK handling around corners to me. May be improved just a little. (in my opinion)

So what kind of parts set up would you suggest??

Thanks!!!

2016 GT/CS. Automatic, convertible. So far 100% stock!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018
BOSS Member

Garage
If you have a Brembo or Track Pack car you can install the 55d rear springs. They are the same spring rate and won't the ride at all but will level the car.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018
PONY Member

Big question is going to be how much you are looking to spend.

My car was geared towards more of improving handling and eliminating some of the issues with the rear axle. So I replaced the stock struts and shocks with some Steeda's, camber plates, 1" lowering springs, Whiteline Watts Link, upgraded LCAs and relocation brackets, Steeda X-brace, and Boss rear sway bar.

The car feels completely different, I love it.

2011 V6 Mustang - Premium 202A Spec (Pony Package) - SOLD!

2014 V8 Mustang - Premium 400A Spec
6 Speed Manual, 3.31 Rear
Black, Charcoal Black
Comfort Package, Security System

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighsayer11 View Post
Big question is going to be how much you are looking to spend.

My car was geared towards more of improving handling and eliminating some of the issues with the rear axle. So I replaced the stock struts and shocks with some Steeda's, camber plates, 1" lowering springs, Whiteline Watts Link, upgraded LCAs and relocation brackets, Steeda X-brace, and Boss rear sway bar.

The car feels completely different, I love it.
That's a hard question for me to answer. I'm more of a "Bang for the buck" type of guy.

I would rather spend 2K and get 10K worth of satisfaction, then spend 1K and get 2K worth of satisfaction if you know what I mean (In Economics I think that is referred to: How Much utility am I getting?)

But anyway, I would like to level, but really still want a comfortable ride. The leveling is my main thing. I kinda want that sports car look and not the jacked up back end look. But if I can maintain ride comfort and get some extra performance, then that's good.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

BTW, NeighSayer
I noticed you are Collegeville.
I noticed there is a Valley Forge Mustang club. Are you a member?

I just saw it the other day. Part of me wants to join. (I'm actually in KOP although my profile says Philly)

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlg View Post
BTW, NeighSayer
I noticed you are Collegeville.
I noticed there is a Valley Forge Mustang club. Are you a member?

I just saw it the other day. Part of me wants to join. (I'm actually in KOP although my profile says Philly)
They actually left one of their cards under one of my wiper blades, I haven't joined.

As far as cost, I spent close to 2 grand on everything I did (just parts), didn't have to pay for labor as I did it myself or with help from family that happen to be mechanics.

Black, Charcoal Black
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018
PONY Member

Get koni orange with ford racing P spings. The handlig will be worlds better, the car will be leveled off and handling will be greatly improved!!!!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmc1488 View Post
Get koni orange with ford racing P spings. The handlig will be worlds better, the car will be leveled off and handling will be greatly improved!!!!
Yeah I have the P Springs on mine, great springs.

Black, Charcoal Black
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

So you think all I need then is Shocks, struts, and springs to achieve my desired effect?

PONY Member

Most lowering spring kits that claim to level off front and back lower the rear by about 1/2" more than front. Roush sells a rear only spring pair that lowers rear by that half inch. Don't bother with panhard bar as this drop will move rear end sideways almost zero.

You like your current ride and handling but I'll bet you'd be quite surprised at how much better a mild shock/strut improvement makes it. The Koni STR.T'S are a popular choice. I really like mine. You would be best served using the 2005-2010 set as they fit with the GT500 strut top mounts (big improvement over the 11 to 14 mounts).

So, awesome bang for bucks, $600 give or take, Roush rear springs, 05 to 10 Koni oranges and GT500 top mounts. Add a little over a hundred bucks and throw in a set of non-adjustable rear lower control arms if you ever accelerate hard off the line. You will have that new car feeling all over again.

These changes will lose you no ground clearance, give comfortable ride but greatly improve handling and feel. In fact, I can honestly say I think this mod combo is the biggest bang for buck ratio available for our vehicles. Max out your marginal utility, man!

All the best.

2014 Gray Mustang

PONY Member

Quote:
So you think all I need then is Shocks, struts, and springs to achieve my desired effect?

UUUd444 is 100% right

I would still add an adjustable panhard bar, I feel the stock one has garbage bushings, you can get a better one for cheap. Unless you want to go nuts like me and do a watt's link setup
For the most part these cars are much better once you upgrade the suspension, and it is cheap.

BTW is your car a manual or an automatic, and do you travel near the GSK/Pfizer campuses in Collegeville? Reason I ask is I saw a sterling grey GT the other day, very rare to see 13-14 GT's in my area.

Black, Charcoal Black
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
And an adjustable panhard bar, I feel the stock one has garbage bushings, you can get a better one for cheap. Unless you want to go nuts like me and do a watt's link setup

BTW is your car a manual or an automatic, and do you travel near the GSK/Pfizer campuses in Collegeville? Reason I ask is I saw a sterling grey GT the other day, very rare to see 13-14 GT's in my area.
Mine's a manual.

Wasn't me. LOL. I live and work in KOP. I live about a mile and a half from work. My car gets about 3 miles per day (6 if I go home for lunch)

PONY Member

Quote:
Mine's a manual.

Wasn't me. LOL. I live and work in KOP. I live about a mile and a half from work. My car gets about 3 miles per day (6 if I go home for lunch)
Yeah I hear you, I only have to drive my car 2 times a week, the odometer on my car is 22k, and I've had it for almost 5 years (in June).

Black, Charcoal Black
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Yeah I hear you, I only have to drive my car 2 times a week, the odometer on my car is 22k, and I've had it for almost 5 years (in June).
Same here.

5 years, 22K

I have a truck for the bad days

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
. . . . My car gets about 3 miles per day (6 if I go home for lunch)
tangent: be sure to go on some longer drives regularly to get everything good and hot, so moisture does not build up

back on topic: it sounds like the suspension basics have been covered . . . the only other thing I would suggest, is to consider Bilstein struts and shocks

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page