Here goes nothing.... - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I actually have a Rand McNally Map book still, GPS might get you there but if you don't know where there is you ain't going.
BTW I still remember the original GPS, the AAA Trip Tik

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member

$149 = stand alone GPS that you can take with you in other vehicles. Yeah I know Luke already made his choice.
I'm not impressed with any of the free phone GPS's but free
$30 for shipping! They must be some real heavy CD's (Gigs of info)

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
I actually have a Rand McNally Map book still, GPS might get you there but if you don't know where there is you ain't going.
BTW I still remember the original GPS, the AAA Trip Tik
"old fart" tangent: this is what I hate about GPS, especially on phones. You have absolutely no context of where you are going or how you are going to get there. All you have is the next turn, and in the worst case a little piece of road on the screen that is always straight up. I like to be able to see the big picture and it is nearly impossible on the typical phone map app. I think this is really bad for young drivers -- they have no concept of where they are going or how they are going to get there; they just blindly follow the next prompt coming from the phone. My own daughter can barely get out of the driveway without the phone telling her which way to turn.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
Ive got a lot of iPhones, a lot of GPS devices, and a lot of cars. I definitely prefer my NAV units to other devices. Honestly, I like the NAV in my mustang best.

Just my personal opinion based on my personal use. YMMV. Use what best suits your needs.
Our other car is a '17 explorer, the Nav in that is really slick. Plus, if you don't want to use Ford's maps you can plug in your phone and use it's navigation system.

As for all the old timers here commenting on maps, I use to navigate by paper maps, good skill to know. But GPS is great if you miss a turn or exit, you aren't scrambling to figure out what to do with the old maps.
5.0 Coyote and crjackson2134 like this.

2011 V6 Mustang - Premium 202A Spec (Pony Package) - SOLD!

2014 V8 Mustang - Premium 400A Spec
6 Speed Manual, 3.31 Rear
Black, Charcoal Black
Comfort Package, Security System
PONY Member

It is important to always carry a detailed paper city map and and also a state or province map.

If your car stalls or you slide off the road into a ditch you can use them as a blanket until someone finds you. A cell phone makes a poor insulator.

2014 Gray Mustang

SHELBY GT 350 Member

I haven't done it myself yet, but I did have to point out to someone who stopped and asked me "where is ______?" that he entered in the wrong city into his GPS

Middletown Vs Middlefield

I can see myself making that mistake.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUUd444 View Post
It is important to always carry a detailed paper city map and and also a state or province map.

If your car stalls or you slide off the road into a ditch you can use them as a blanket until someone finds you. A cell phone makes a poor insulator.
This is why I have a full first aid kit, army blanket, zippo with spare fuel, and an e-tool in the trunk of my car. In case any of this happens.

I could imagine UUUd444 reading off his kit list :
"Mustang Survival kit contents check. In it you'll find: one .45-caliber automatic, two boxes ammunition, four days' concentrated emergency rations, one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills, one miniature combination French phrase book and Bible, one hundred dollars in american dollars, one hundred dollars in gold, nine packs of chewing gum, one issue of prophylactics, three lipsticks, three pair of nylon stockings... Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Edmonton with all that stuff!"
UUUd444 likes this.

2011 V6 Mustang - Premium 202A Spec (Pony Package) - SOLD!

2014 V8 Mustang - Premium 400A Spec
6 Speed Manual, 3.31 Rear
Black, Charcoal Black
Comfort Package, Security System
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
"old fart" tangent: this is what I hate about GPS, especially on phones. You have absolutely no context of where you are going or how you are going to get there. All you have is the next turn, and in the worst case a little piece of road on the screen that is always straight up. I like to be able to see the big picture and it is nearly impossible on the typical phone map app. I think this is really bad for young drivers -- they have no concept of where they are going or how they are going to get there; they just blindly follow the next prompt coming from the phone. My own daughter can barely get out of the driveway without the phone telling her which way to turn.
I always bring paper maps with me when I tour on my motorcycle, just for this reason. To see the big picture. Helps me to decide which town I am going to bed down in that night. Pulled out my maps at a McDonalds one day and was figuring out where to stay for the night. A sixteen year old employee walked up to me and asked what I was looking at? She had never seen a paper map before. When I told her what it was, she said, "Wow!! Old school!!" I laughed, but I have to admit it stung just a little.

2014 Mustang GT Premium- MT, Ruby Red, 3.73 Torsen, Brembo Brakes, Track Pack, Comfort Package, Electronics Package, Rear Sensing System, Security Package, Rear Video Camera, Barton Short Throw Shifter and bracket, RedLine Tuning Hood Struts, Borla Touring axle back exhaust, Boss 302 shift knob, alcantara suede shift boot and e-brake boot, K&N air filter, etc.

1993 Corvette Convertible LT1

2018 BMW R1200GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page