• 3 Post By marylandGT
  • 1 Post By Neighsayer11
  • 4 Post By lindanewland

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Getting frustrated with this car

I was so happy when I got this car last November 13 but it's been a trying few months. A little over 3 weeks after I bought it, the engine started knocking. The Ford dealership initially diagnosed a bad water pump and replaced it which I paid for out of pocket, after having the car just over three weeks and putting less than 500 miles on it. I picked it up and partway home the engine was still knocking. I turned around and went right back and left the car with them and after about a week the dealership called me to say that the engine needed replaced - the knock was in the bottom end. Thankfully I had purchased a powertrain warranty which covered the engine replacement but the repair took 5 weeks. I had about $300 in expenses that were not covered by the warranty along with the inconvenience of being carless for 5 weeks, at a time when I was supposed to be having radiation treatment 3 times a week. I could have rented a car but the warranty required that I pay out of pocket which I could not afford to do for that length of time due to a ton of medical expenses and then wait for reimbursement. I did rent a car for a few days for critical appointments . At that point the car had been at the dealership longer than I have owned it. I finally got to pick the car up and maybe 4 or so miles from the dealership the oil light came on. I called the service guy I had been working with and he asked a few questions and determined it was probably a bad sending unit. The car seemed to be running okay and temp was good. He said just to drive back but keep an eye on things and if it started overheating or not running right to pull over and they would send a wrecker. It was the sending unit and that hasn't happened since that day. Since that time I have put new tires on it, a new battery, replaced a bent wheel and got a full size spare instead of the little inflating gadget they put in the trunk. That's all normal wear and tear stuff so no big deal - you have to expect that with a used car. Then yesterday I get back from the doc and the message center displays "check fuel filler inlet". I have done a little reading on that and it seems to happen commonly, but I would really just like to go a few weeks without having some kind of repair or issue. I traded in a car with 200k miles that was becoming a money pit and was hoping for better reliability and trouble free driving. Then I look at the car and think how pretty it is and how when I get to drive it, I feel like a kid again. Sigh............vent over.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Wow, at least the car is pretty.

Iím sorry youíve had such a trial with this car. How many miles did it have at purchase?

Sounds like youíve nearly got it all rejuvenated, but minor repairs will always be a factor. Even on new cars this can be so. I hope you have no further issues anytime soon.

Feel free to vent when needed, we all understand.

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member

the fuel inlet I would go to a gas station and use the filler nozzle to reset it. It opens closes with the nozzle....don't worry about how it'll look when you insert it repeatedly

If there is an issue rather than trying to replace it I would 1st try a locking gas cap. There are ears where it would go...simple cheap repair (maybe)
crjackson2134 likes this.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018
PONY Member

Dang, that's just bad luck. Hope it's all sorted now.

As a side note, hope the radiation treatment is going in your favor.

2014 Mustang GT Premium 401a; "Now you can add Premium to your signature." - Thereaper
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
How many miles are on your Mustang? That sounds like quite the rough experience and hope it is only better moving forward!
crjackson2134 likes this.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Look at some of the "pros" side of things with the car now. You've got a new engine with little out of pocket damage......Not bad

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Oh yeah and the other day when it rained for the first time in 5 months, the drivers side floor had probably a cup or so of water on it. Good think I have the Weathertech floormats. I had them in all of my trucks in Alaska - they really hold up. The car had 83k miles on it when I got it but it was one owner and the Carfax showed all the regular maintenance had been done and never any accidents - didn't seem to be horsebeat and I only drive maybe 3k miles a year. It's very clean inside and out. When I first saw the car, I did some research on the engine and tranny and both seemed to be pretty reliable from all of the info I read. I haven't had a sporty car since my misspent youth, when I had a bunch of different American muscle mobiles. Wish I had a few of them now - the 426 Hemi Charger would probably be worth some money as well as some of the SS 396 Chevelles. The replacement engine was not new - was what I used to call a junkyard engine but that the Ford service guy, who has been great through all of this, said is now called a recycling center not a junkyard and it's a recycled engine - LOL. But it has 25k less miles on it than the original engine and I made sure they took the brand new waterpump off the old one and put it on the new one. I found a video last night of what to do to try and clear the "check fuel inlet" message - what to do with the fuel inlet - and will give that a shot. Thanks everyone for your comments and input. I'm not usually such a cry baby whiner but it's been a crazy few months with lots of other things going on. I have 2 more months of crazy and then things should hopefully normal out some.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindanewland View Post
Oh yeah and the other day when it rained for the first time in 5 months, the drivers side floor had probably a cup or so of water on it. Good think I have the Weathertech floormats. I had them in all of my trucks in Alaska - they really hold up. The car had 83k miles on it when I got it but it was one owner and the Carfax showed all the regular maintenance had been done and never any accidents - didn't seem to be horsebeat and I only drive maybe 3k miles a year. It's very clean inside and out. When I first saw the car, I did some research on the engine and tranny and both seemed to be pretty reliable from all of the info I read. I haven't had a sporty car since my misspent youth, when I had a bunch of different American muscle mobiles. Wish I had a few of them now - the 426 Hemi Charger would probably be worth some money as well as some of the SS 396 Chevelles. The replacement engine was not new - was what I used to call a junkyard engine but that the Ford service guy, who has been great through all of this, said is now called a recycling center not a junkyard and it's a recycled engine - LOL. But it has 25k less miles on it than the original engine and I made sure they took the brand new waterpump off the old one and put it on the new one. I found a video last night of what to do to try and clear the "check fuel inlet" message - what to do with the fuel inlet - and will give that a shot. Thanks everyone for your comments and input. I'm not usually such a cry baby whiner but it's been a crazy few months with lots of other things going on. I have 2 more months of crazy and then things should hopefully normal out some.
Did you check the drain hole on the passenger side of the cowl (perpendicular to the end of the windshield wiper blade)? There is a tiny hole that needs to be clear of debris, it is it plugged you'll get water in the cabin.
5.0 Coyote likes this.

2011 V6 Mustang - Premium 202A Spec (Pony Package) - SOLD!

2014 V8 Mustang - Premium 400A Spec
6 Speed Manual, 3.31 Rear
Black, Charcoal Black
Comfort Package, Security System
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member

1st to say chick with Mustang and access to strong drugs is kinda hot.......looking over shoulder for Mrs Mud

poor impulse control

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I know it can be disheartening, the check inlet message can be as easy as inserting the fuel nozzle of taking the funnel out of the trunk and inserting it a few time to replacing the Purge valve on the motor, at least it is only a $36 part.
Mud was the a shot I heard from the other room?
But on a side note we did find out where Mud got his name

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Well I did some reading on the internet on how to resolve the "check fuel filler inlet" message as well as reading the suggestions offered in this thread. I watched a video too of what to do. The articles said it would probably trigger the "check engine" light which it did. The video suggested blowing out the inlet with compressed air, then spraying with WD40, then blowing out the inlet again and using a funnel or fuel nozzle and repeatedly inserting and removing it like Strange Mud suggested. I tried to stand in way to block the view of the fuel nozzle at the gas station to avoid any weird looks for what I was doing - LOL. After a day or so the "check fuel filler inlet" message went away and then today the check engine light went away too. The articles I read said that it could take several cycles of turning off and on to reset it. I went to Reilly's to see if they would clear the check engine code but they would not do it - said they could read it but not clear it for potential liability reasons. I was glad it was so easy to resolve and seems to be a pretty common occurrence. On a positive note, I had my last radiation treatment today for this go-round so I am glad to not have to be driving to Albuquerque every day. Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. I appreciate how helpful folks have been. I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on.
MACH I Member

I feel your pain. I had a 2011 V6 that I bought brand new. It had many issues related to factory defects and poor quality control. I traded it in on my 2012 GT. Fewer problems with this one so far. It is hit and miss really.

2018 GT350 - Race red

2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page