Watts links? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Watts links?

I am considering installing watts link on my 2012 GT... but i keep scratching my head thinking in spending $900 on that setup

Any personal reviews, helpful information, pros and cons, brand on different watts link on the market, etc on user that already try it...something that convince me on spend that kind on money

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018
Apprentice

My understanding is that Parnelli Jones used Watt's link to try to get a better balance for the rear end's lateral movement. As you probably already know, the panhard bard is only set up to compensate for taking turns in one direction and not both.

I did a lot of reading and investigating on this myself a few years back. Like most things, the answers seemed to differ depending on the source: some people swore that the Watt's link setup changed rear end stability when turning, and some said it was no better than a panhard. It also depends on what kind of Watt's link system. I read that you want one that is not anchored to the rear differential... probably worth some deeper investigation.

I have a hard time thinking that this doesn't work being that Parnelli used it and it was offered on Saleen Mustangs. If you're like me, though, you will want to see/experience proof! I decided against it because for the price, I could invest in other things that matter more to me since I do not do road or course racing.

Also worth investigating how this would affect other characteristics. In engineering, you find that you create a secondary problem every time you resolve an initial problem.

Smokievol likes this.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBarchetta View Post
My understanding is that Parnelli Jones used Watt's link to try to get a better balance for the rear end's lateral movement. As you probably already know, the panhard bard is only set up to compensate for taking turns in one direction and not both.

I did a lot of reading and investigating on this myself a few years back. Like most things, the answers seemed to differ depending on the source: some people swore that the Watt's link setup changed rear end stability when turning, and some said it was no better than a panhard. It also depends on what kind of Watt's link system. I read that you want one that is not anchored to the rear differential... probably worth some deeper investigation.

I have a hard time thinking that this doesn't work being that Parnelli used it and it was offered on Saleen Mustangs. If you're like me, though, you will want to see/experience proof! I decided against it because for the price, I could invest in other things that matter more to me since I do not do road or course racing.

Also worth investigating how this would affect other characteristics. In engineering, you find that you create a secondary problem every time you resolve an initial problem.
I dont mind if it is anchored to the rear diff... and thats correct I want to see/experience proof so if I spend that kind of money I don't regret it later

I dont do track racing either but for what I have read on the internet some peoples claim to say that "you feel more confidence in the handling of the car" and "it feel like IRS suspension"... thats what intrigue me

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

The actual watts link works better in a road racing scenario, if you are racing in a straight line or just normal driving on highway and around town the Panhard bar is more than adequate. As for feeling like IRS it is just because you don't jack the rear end up turning to the right like a Panhard bar does.
crjackson2134 likes this.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
The actual watts link works better in a road racing scenario, if you are racing in a straight line or just normal driving on highway and around town the Panhard bar is more than adequate. As for feeling like IRS it is just because you don't jack the rear end up turning to the right like a Panhard bar does.
^This

I have the Whiteline Watts link, personally I think it is worth the money. Suspension mods on this car really changed the nature of it. With just the panhard bar if you hit a bump you'd have to lay off the accelerator as the wheels shifted. Now with the Watts link it feels about 90% as close to IRS as you can get.

Again, I geared my suspension towards road coursing the car, this Watt's link gives you more confidence in the twisties for sure. The best way to describe it is the rear feels more planted/heavy, not floaty as before.
CDN5.0 likes this.

2011 V6 Mustang - Premium 202A Spec (Pony Package) - SOLD!

2014 V8 Mustang - Premium 400A Spec
6 Speed Manual, 3.31 Rear
Black, Charcoal Black
Comfort Package, Security System
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighsayer11 View Post
^This

I have the Whiteline Watts link, personally I think it is worth the money. Suspension mods on this car really changed the nature of it. With just the panhard bar if you hit a bump you'd have to lay off the accelerator as the wheels shifted. Now with the Watts link it feels about 90% as close to IRS as you can get.

Again, I geared my suspension towards road coursing the car, this Watt's link gives you more confidence in the twisties for sure. The best way to describe it is the rear feels more planted/heavy, not floaty as before.
Thanks for the input

Thats what i dont like, everything you hit a bump i feels the diff control the car it feel like the car tgat shift to the side (dont know how to explain that)

What else did you do on suspension mod?

Btw: there to many watts link brand and design compare to the whiteline...do you think that would make any different?

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGT View Post
. . . everything you hit a bump i feels the diff control the car it feel like the car tgat shift to the side . . .
That's because it actually does shift to the side, a little bit, when the rear suspension travels; because of the way the panhard bar works. It is very small and most people don't notice it much.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
That's because it actually does shift to the side, a little bit, when the rear suspension travels; because of the way the panhard bar works. It is very small and most people don't notice it much.
Dont like that feeling lol

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018
Apprentice

Think of what your rear end does when on an onramp or offramp that has speed bumps... you are turning and not meeting the bump head on in a straight line... the vertical displacement makes the rear end "skip" because the inside wheel is going over the bump at a point slightly sooner than when the outside wheel is going over the same bump. This is a problem for solid axle because the wheels are tied together. That is the type of situation a Watt's link system is supposed to help neutralize. That and a differential with a high TBR in case one wheel sees some air time.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBarchetta View Post
. . .. This is a problem for solid axle because the wheels are tied together. That is the type of situation a Watt's link system is supposed to help neutralize. . . .
Well, kinda . . . but the watts link does not turn the solid axle into an independent rear suspension, it still has the solid axle going across so a bump on one side can still disturb the other side.

All the watts link really does, is keep the rear axle centered under the car as it travels up and down. The standard panhard bar is attached to the car one one end,and the axle on the other end; that bar travels through an arc as the axle moves up and down, and that's why it moves side to side a little as it travels vertically. The watts link basically splits the one panhard bar into two, one on each side, which eliminates that arc and side-to-side movement.
crjackson2134 likes this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGT View Post
Thanks for the input

What else did you do on suspension mod?

Btw: there to many watts link brand and design compare to the whiteline...do you think that would make any different?

Lower control arms (non adjustable Whiteline), Lower Control Arm relocation brackets, lowered the car 1", J&M camber plates, Steeda shocks and struts, Steeda X-Brace (The one that goes in the trunk, so you keep your rear seats), and GT500 jounce kit.

As far as different watts link, BMR and Steeda attach to the axles themselves, cortex racing and whiteline make a differential centered one. Both have pros and cons, for BMR and Steeda, you don't have to take the diff cover off and have to refill with fluid, but some folks say that the way they are attached to the axle means they are prone to shifting. For diff centered like Cortex and Whiteline, if you hit the wheel sideways hard enough it will sheer the bolts or spill your diffs guts onto the road.

2011 V6 Mustang - Premium 202A Spec (Pony Package) - SOLD!

2014 V8 Mustang - Premium 400A Spec
6 Speed Manual, 3.31 Rear
Black, Charcoal Black
Comfort Package, Security System
Apprentice

Quote:
Well, kinda . . . but the watts link does not turn the solid axle into an independent rear suspension, it still has the solid axle going across so a bump on one side can still disturb the other side.

All the watts link really does, is keep the rear axle centered under the car as it travels up and down. The standard panhard bar is attached to the car one one end,and the axle on the other end; that bar travels through an arc as the axle moves up and down, and that's why it moves side to side a little as it travels vertically. The watts link basically splits the one panhard bar into two, one on each side, which eliminates that arc and side-to-side movement.
Right. It's about as close as it will get, though, without buying a 2015+ S550 model. I intentionally steered away from that when given the chance to buy a new car recently... solid axle is the better choice for what I do and an IRS would have me wheel hopping around. Can't beat IRS for turns, especially with the magnetic suspension in the new Mustang. Watt's link and helical LSD differentials do a great job for solid axle applications, though. But have to wonder how the Watt's link affects the LSD torque biasing.

Anyway, with the direction technology is going, one day, the kids in the future will say "Mustangs weren't always IRS?".
PONY Member

I have the Steeda Watts Link I install and uninstall from time to time. I kind of wish I had gone with adjustable upper and lower control arms and a different sway bar and bushings instead of the Watts Link. Mostly because of the fear of something from the road hitting one of the axle tubes that the Watts link is clamped to. If that was to happen I'd be SOL

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
. . . . I kind of wish I had gone with adjustable upper and lower control arms and a different sway bar and bushings instead of the Watts Link. Mostly because of the fear of something from the road hitting one of the axle tubes that the Watts link is clamped to. . . . .
hmmm, curious and trying to understand why you are putting those things together as alternatives; I thought the watts link performs a completely different function from the upper and lower control arms?

and I guess those tubes hang way down below the axle and pumpkin?

PONY Member

Quote:
hmmm, curious and trying to understand why you are putting those things together as alternatives; I thought the watts link performs a completely different function from the upper and lower control arms?

and I guess those tubes hang way down below the axle and pumpkin?
Yes, the axle clamps hang down pretty far . Other than that I can feel the rear planted more with the Watts Link installed .

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page