Brake Upgrade Project - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediDave View Post
GLOCKer:

I believe that the G2 caliper paint is brush on. With the cash that you’ve invested into your calipers, I personally would never consider brush on paint. I would lightly sand, primer (also acts as a fill agent), paint, then clear. All those products can be found specifically designed for brake calipers. Good luck!
^This...

VHT makes spray on caliper paint, get the prime, color and clear: VHT Caliper Paint -- High Heat Coatings

2011 V6 Mustang - Premium 202A Spec (Pony Package) - SOLD!

2014 V8 Mustang - Premium 400A Spec
6 Speed Manual, 3.31 Rear
Black, Charcoal Black
Comfort Package, Security System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediDave View Post
GLOCKer:

I believe that the G2 caliper paint is brush on. With the cash that you’ve invested into your calipers, I personally would never consider brush on paint. I would lightly sand, primer (also acts as a fill agent), paint, then clear. All those products can be found specifically designed for brake calipers. Good luck!

A friend of mine has used it (custom mix in school bus yellow for his BOSS 302) and it looks damn near like powder-coat. I believe the paint has self-leveling properties. But, I did buy a Preval spray can for this job with the paint.

2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual
Major Mods:
ProCharger P-1SC-1 Stage II, MGW Race Spec Shifter, Eibach Sportline Springs
Apprentice

Can someone please tell me if I have to change the brake lines or if the stock ones will work? I have an 07 GT.

BOSS Member

Garage
You will have to change front brake lines.
Rookie

Rockauto has the OEM Brembo calipers BR3Z-2B121-B & BR3Z-2B120-B for $207 and $225 each. Only one side requires a $50 core charge.

Therefore, for genuine Brembo calipers the cost is $482. Parts from Tasca are about about $85 more
Your O'Reilly versions with paint and decals (partial cost of decals) = $327

That's a savings of $154 but doesn't quantify the time and effort to paint the calipers.

Is $154 worth it? You may get away with it on the street, but if you ever want to take it to a road course don't expect the aluminum alloy used in the knockoffs will be as good as the Brembo's. I'm sure O'Reilly/Cardone/Autozone didn't test it on a track to see if it will withstand flexing and high heat when stopping a 3700 lb Mustang from 120+ mph on a repetitive basis.

My opinion is that these are just ticking time bombs.
GLOCKer likes this.
post #36 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CozPhilly View Post
Rockauto has the OEM Brembo calipers BR3Z-2B121-B & BR3Z-2B120-B for $207 and $225 each. Only one side requires a $50 core charge.

Therefore, for genuine Brembo calipers the cost is $482. Parts from Tasca are about about $85 more

That's a savings of $154 but doesn't quantify the time and effort to paint the calipers.

Is $154 worth it? You may get away with it on the street, but if you ever want to take it to a road course don't expect the aluminum alloy used in the knockoffs will be as good as the Brembo's. I'm sure O'Reilly/Cardone/Autozone didn't test it on a track to see if it will withstand flexing and high heat when stopping a 3700 lb Mustang from 120+ mph on a repetitive basis.

Your math is slightly off. I'll be in to these brakes $263.56 for the calipers, paint, and decals; $218.44 less than the straight up Motorcraft/Brembo. I'd be painting the calipers irregardless of the source of manufacture to the grabber blue color as it's an accent color I've been using on the car (was even going to paint the stock calipers before I planned the upgrade). Then I'd be into the Motorcraft/Brembo units for 564.18 with paint. About the same I have into the whole project at this point with stainless lines and pads with everything else.

And what if the aluminum alloy is just as good in the knockoffs? We don't know. I know I'm rolling the dice a little on this; I've mentioned this in an earlier post in this thread. So is $218.56 worth it? It might be! For how I use the car with the occasional spirited driving, it might possibly turn out to be a great economical way to upgrade my brake performance. I also realize it may fall flat on it's face.

Major Mods:
post #37 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
You will have to change front brake lines.
I'm curious as to what the difference is. I wont see the difference until I get the old brakes off the car.

Major Mods:
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCKer View Post
I'm curious as to what the difference is. I wont see the difference until I get the old brakes off the car.
If you are already yanking the calipers you might as well upgrade the brake lines to stainless steel braided. Between these lines and the clutch lines, upgrading to braided stainless is totally worth it.
GLOCKer likes this.

Black, Charcoal Black
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Banjo Fitting VS Flare nut I do Believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CozPhilly View Post

Everywhere I have read the Piston on the Remans are Steel, if they are not damaged the re-rubbered and the OEM pistons are used
GLOCKer likes this.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
post #40 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighsayer11 View Post
If you are already yanking the calipers you might as well upgrade the brake lines to stainless steel braided. Between these lines and the clutch lines, upgrading to braided stainless is totally worth it.
For sure doing to the braided stainless lines, front and back. They'll be here Tuesday.

Major Mods:
PONY Member

Quote:
For sure doing to the braided stainless lines, front and back. They'll be here Tuesday.
Yeah my next upgrade is to install a separate clutch fluid reservoir, late model restoration now offers an alternative to the expensive Shelby one. Going to pick that up soon.
GLOCKer likes this.

Black, Charcoal Black
post #42 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighsayer11 View Post
Yeah my next upgrade is to install a separate clutch fluid reservoir, late model restoration now offers an alternative to the expensive Shelby one. Going to pick that up soon.
I want to do that SVE reservoir too!

Major Mods:
post #43 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
So I spent some more money yesterday on the brake project...

I bought some high-temp brake fluid and a vacuum bleeder. Now all I need to find is some time!

Well, I also need to find something to cap off the brake lines too. I have no clue how long the rear brakes will be off the car for painting and drying before I hang the new brake lines and mount the calipers.

Major Mods:
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
. . . . I bought some high-temp brake fluid and a vacuum bleeder. . . .

Well, I also need to find something to cap off the brake lines too. . . .
I tried one of those vacuum bleeders and got so frustrated with it that I actually took it back, and bought a pressure bleeder instead. The vacuum bleeder depends on getting a good seal around the bleeder screw and I could never get that to work. I would get bubbles in the line and I couldn't tell if they were actually coming out of the brakes, or just leaking in from the bleeder. In my experience the pressure bleeder worked much better because you don't need a vacuum-tight connection on the bleeder screw. Interested to hear if you have any luck with it.

I never did find anything to cap the lines, but that is a real good idea. A tiny rubber cork/stopper might work; or maybe the caps from the bleeder screws. I'm sure shops must have some way of handling this, but when I asked around, I got "non response" like they did not know what I was talking about; or it was a super-triple-extra trade secret that they did not want to share.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #45 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Progress is SLOW and based on how much time I can work into the schedule to get on it. This past Sunday, I disassembled the rear brakes to get them cleaned up and painted. Hopefully I'll get an opportunity to get them cleaned during the week so that I can paint them Saturday and Sunday.

Major Mods:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page