Brake Upgrade Project - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Brake Upgrade Project DONE! (Pg. 4)

Inspired by two different threads on this forum, I've started collecting parts to upgrade the brakes on my base level 2014 Mustang GT. I've upgraded under the hood with a supercharger; I probably should have stopping power to match!

I considered the S550 calipers after reading this thread: https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...rade-s197.html

After some consideration and revisiting another thread, I've decided on the less expensive option of the 2014 Brembo brakes for the front of my car. This is the thread that "inspired" me: https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...han-300-a.html

Sourcing the 2014 Brembo calipers wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. I elected for the re-manufactured, less expensive option. No one seems to have them in stock, or if they do they only stock one side! I found them at O'Rielly's Auto-parts online and they should be here by Tuesday. Here are the links:
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...tr_10039=Front
and
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...tr_10039=Front

I'm thinking I'll paint these a Grabber Blue type color.

I've also found the proper size brake shields used on eBay in what appears to be a great condition. I am getting both for approximately the price of one new!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/323107560101

So the next things I need to look for are rotors and pads. I'm trying to decide if I should buy upgraded rotors for the front and rear, or just source and OEM style rotor for the front only. And then I'll do pads and probably stainless lines all around.

I'll update this thread as progress happens.

matthewr87 likes this.

2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual
Major Mods:
ProCharger P-1SC-1 Stage II, MGW Race Spec Shifter, Eibach Sportline Springs

Last edited by GLOCKer; 04-14-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018
BOSS Member

Garage
Awesome! Stick with a good plain rotor. I've been using Centric Premium ritors. Unless you're after the look then you can save a chunk of change by passing on slotted or cross drilled rotors.

Are you opposed to dust and noise from your brakes? I really like the Carbotech AX6 pads for daily driving but they are dusty and can be noisy.

post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
Awesome! Stick with a good plain rotor. I've been using Centric Premium ritors. Unless you're after the look then you can save a chunk of change by passing on slotted or cross drilled rotors.

Are you opposed to dust and noise from your brakes? I really like the Carbotech AX6 pads for daily driving but they are dusty and can be noisy.

While I'd like the cool sporty look of crossed drilled and slotted rotors, I'm not 100% married to the idea because of cost and reliability (cracked rotors). I'd really, really like slotted rotors, but they may cost a lot!

I'm okay with noise, but I'm not sure of I can do a lot of brake dust. I show my car more than I drive it hard. I do drive my car hard a couple of times a year (Atlanta Motorsports Park, Tail of the Dragon, Woody Gap). But I show the hell out of it!

Major Mods:

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018
PONY Member

Great project, still waiting for my car to come back from.getting the hood fixed. I'd recommend DBA or stock type rotors ie centric.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I was looking at doing the same thing you are for my spirited driving and was actually looking at the Stoptech, I have them on my truck and they out performed the Powerstops that whomever owned the truck before put on it, plus no holes to crack.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss

Last edited by Siber Express; 03-18-2018 at 01:08 PM.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I would highly recommend the nicer coated centric plain blank rotors for just a few dollars more than the cheaper uncoated ones

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm leaning towards the Centric rotors right now for cost considerations.

Major Mods:
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
I'm a little excited; a friend had Brembos put on his car, and had slotted and drilled rotors put on the car at the same time. He told me yesterday he was going to dig out the Brembo package rotors that they threw in his trunk to let me see if I want those. If they are low mileage/in good shape, I'll take 'em! Then all I'll need are the stainless lines and some good brake pads.

Major Mods:
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018
MACH I Member

So these re-manufactured calipers are the same as in this kit then?

https://www.americanmuscle.com/svt-b...product_pics-0

2018 GT350 - Race red

2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewr87 View Post

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe so.
I believe they are closer to this:

I think the only difference is the finish (black vs. matte gray). But basically I'm trying to build that kit for around $400 to $500.

Major Mods:
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:

Yes
MACH I Member

Wow. So in reality people are paying $500 extra just for some nice brembo paint on the calipers. Crazy. I may have to go this route as well then.

2018 GT350 - Race red

2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
PONY Member

Garage
I purchased those and after looking at them and doing some research I sent them back.
The picture shows the FoMoCo stamping, however, they are not original sourced OEM FoMoCo remanufactured calipers, and therefore will not have that stamping. When you receive the O'Reilly boxes, they will have China printed on them. Additionally, the Chinese remanufactured Brembo knockoffs will have a 1" half crescent metal molded in the middle of the front caliper right above the painted Brembo insignia, arcing up to the top of the caliper. That's how you can tell the Chinese knockoffs from the real deal FoMoCo Brembo calipers.

The Chinese knockoffs seem to work fine though. Get some high quality Brembo decals, spray with some high temperature paint, and then clear coat....no one except you will no the difference.

I've included a picture of the caliper you'll receive from O'Reilly's. Next to it I've placed a picture, for comparison, of an "real deal" OEM FoMoCl Brembo from GLOCKer who posted picture in this thread.

JediDave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170227_012318.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	594442   Click image for larger version

Name:	2urse15.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	594450  

2014 Mustang GT Coupe Premium. Options include: California Special package, comfort package, navigation, glass roof, shaker pro system, 3.73 ratio limited slip axle, GT front grill/fogs, MGW race spec shifter, BBK X-Pipe, Corsa GT500 Quad Sport axle-back, Ford Racing ProCal tune. "If I wanted insane HP, I would have purchased a 2014 Shelby GT500!"
Rookie

As stated above, these are Chinese knock-offs. May work ok on the street but would not count on them on a road course. See these threads for more info

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...1011017?page=1

https://www.svtperformance.com/forum...rakes.1071234/
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
. . . . So in reality people are paying $500 extra just for some nice brembo paint on the calipers. . . . .
well, that and the convenience of getting everything in one box (including braided lines, all the hardware, and pads for front and back, not sure if you are including those in your numbers)

if I had been aware of this separate parts approach when I bought the kit a couple years ago, not sure which way I would have gone . . . since I track my car, the remanufactured calipers might make me nervous

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page