Taking on a 2016 M3 - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
so if you have kids you shouldn't be allowed to have a fun car?
I am not saying that but in todays climate if you are caught speeding with a child
in the car you can be charged with child endangerment in some states. I am sorry
but I always considered four door cars not performance cars.
I was so disappointed when Dodge decided to make the Charger
a four door.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member

I wasn't suggesting hooning with passengers. You can have fun in a practical car....I know I have a GTI

side note: 35.5 mpg on my last two tanks! I am thinking it will be 34-36 in summer. I got 32-34 winter

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squekster View Post
. . . .I was so disappointed when Dodge decided to make the Charger a four door.
LOL, yeah if it has 4 doors, it definitely is NOT a "Charger" . . . they should have called it the "Charger II" or something

I saw some car show where they were comparing a '69 to a late model Charger and saying how similar it was . . . I was thinking "WHAT are you guys smoking?" Finally they pointed to the C shaped body line on the side and then I could see how they were the same! LOL

tangent over, back on point

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

PONY Member

A good driver can have fun with any car regardless of the number of doors. That said a four door sedan is still a four door sedan and generally equated with being a dull, boring family car even if it does possess unexpected performance capabilities. Back on subject, in my original post I suggested going to a legal drag strip to settle their dispute. In addition to the reasons I put forth then, there is another practical reason for doing so. You don't have to be quicker to win, even if you run heads up. If you have a better reaction time you can still beat the other guy to the finish line even if they are a little quicker. Obviously the difference can't be too great in order for this to work. My guess is the the BMW guy has never been to a drag strip or at least not run on one. If this is the case he won't be familiar with the " Christmas Tree" starting system. This is a major disadvantage and we want every advantage we can get. If you wait for green you WILL be late. If you're late there is a good chance you will panic and spin the tires. There is one bit of advice I would change. If the OP has a manual transmission it might be best to use a 15x10 wheel instead of a 17x10. The taller sidewall should help him launch the car. It would really help if the OP went to the track at least twice prior to the "BIG DAY" and learn the lights and practice his launch technique. The BMW may be coming on strong at the lights, but if the OP gets there first it's still a win and that's what matters.
crjackson2134 and UUUd444 like this.
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

At my age I guess I just don't care who is faster any more,or who has the most mods,if the OP destroys his engine or transmission, who is going to have the last laugh,but I know it's all in the fun of high powered cars.My only thing is, Don't Do It On The Public Roads.
5.0 Coyote
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Coyote View Post
At my age I guess I just don't care who is faster any more,or who has the most mods,if the OP destroys his engine or transmission, who is going to have the last laugh,but I know it's all in the fun of high powered cars.My only thing is, Don't Do It On The Public Roads.
5.0 Coyote
Well, you've certainly opened up a whole new can of tuna......(tuna? that doesn't sound right. beans? worms? sorry. age related mental deficiency. 60, eh?)

Anyway, my vote is I want the mustang to be faster than the BMW. I like the mustang owner quite a bit better than his BMW owning buddy. I don't want OP to destroy his engine. Or anyone else to for that matter. The public roads thing, in general, makes good sense. Do we include ALL roads? Even deserted paved roads on the way to the lake that NO ONE ever drives on? And if all public accessible roads are included, why do so many people here and on videos seem to think it's okay to go down to Mexico and risk themselves and the Mexican public on their roads?

Geeeez.....I probably won't sleep a wink tonight thinking about this.

All the best.

2014 Gray Mustang

PONY Member

I probably am mentally deficient, whether or not it's age related is an open question [ I'll be 74 in April ]. In any case it's true not all roads are equal and I am not so sanctimonious as to suggest that I've never raced on public roads. In most cases it was done judiciously and I still don't recommend it. In the case of the OP I believe he lives in an urban area where it may be difficult to find a truly safe road. I also want him to have the best chance of success and as I discussed previously I think his best chance of winning [ not necessarily being quicker or faster ] is on an actual drag strip.
UUUd444 likes this.
PONY Member

I'm just not a real fan of street racing, never was. A quick stop light to stop light is low risk but I don't even do that. Invite him to a track either a dragstrip or road course, hell find a auto cross event.

However he sounds like a typical douchey M3 driver. He probably won't want to . I find that the real enthusiasts are the ones who own a generation or two older M3 etc and are more into the car because of it's performance not it's badge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page