Sound tube hole as firewall passthrough? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By crjackson2134

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Sound tube hole as firewall passthrough?

Hey fellas, I'm having some issues with the search engine so this may have already been answered and I'm just not finding it.

I've got a V6 with no sound tube (grommet/plug installed in factory location) and I was wondering if I could use this to pass wires for my oil pressure gauge into the cabin. I know I could pull the fenderwell lining and use the grommet there, but this is much more accessible.

Your knowledge is highly appreciated!

-Kelly

'95 GT Convertible
'14 V6 Pony/Perf Pack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
You can use that location. It should be a plug not a grommet.

I would use a rubber plug and cut an X slit in the middle just big enough to pass the wires through. After the install is done and you lock it all down, use some sealer to make it Air tight. This will keep moisture and unseemly road/engine smells from entering the cabin.

5.0 Coyote likes this.

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Awesome, good to know - thanks for the heads up!

'95 GT Convertible
'14 V6 Pony/Perf Pack

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018
PONY Member

You sure can. That's exactly where I run the sending unit wire for my oil pressure gauge. When you hook up your oil pressure gauge make sure to use a "T" fitting so you can retain the factory sender as well. If you don't do this the PCM will "think" the engine dosen't have any oil pressure and it will lose it's little electronic mind. It's also a good idea not to mount the aftermarket sending unit directly to the "T" as the extra weight cantilevered out on the end of the "T" may cause it to crack or break due to engine vibration. Use a steel braided line from the "T" to the sending unit. You can mount the sending unit near the sound tube hole. You can get the braided line from Autometer. Autometer parts are a little more expensive than the overseas ones, but they are 1st. rate and Autometer is an American company and the parts are made here in the USA.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRacer View Post
You sure can. That's exactly where I run the sending unit wire for my oil pressure gauge. When you hook up your oil pressure gauge make sure to use a "T" fitting so you can retain the factory sender as well. If you don't do this the PCM will "think" the engine dosen't have any oil pressure and it will lose it's little electronic mind. It's also a good idea not to mount the aftermarket sending unit directly to the "T" as the extra weight cantilevered out on the end of the "T" may cause it to crack or break due to engine vibration. Use a steel braided line from the "T" to the sending unit. You can mount the sending unit near the sound tube hole. You can get the braided line from Autometer. Autometer parts are a little more expensive than the overseas ones, but they are 1st. rate and Autometer is an American company and the parts are made here in the USA.
Good to know - I'm actually using an oil filter sandwich in this case - I installed it during my last oil change to make sure I wasn't going to have any small leaks or issues. Since it's held up and the Chicagoland weather isn't too god awful right now, I figure I'll go ahead and finish the connections. I'm going to save this info for the future if I decide to move away from the adapter plate.

'95 GT Convertible
'14 V6 Pony/Perf Pack
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018
PONY Member

I get it regarding the weather. I live about 300 + miles south of Chicago and I am not ready to start working on any of my stuff yet either. Won't be long though, I have suspension work I want to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page