A little side project Iím doing (Quad tips on 10-12 cars) - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
A little side project Iím doing (Quad tips on 10-12 cars)

So, Iíve always liked quad exhaust tips on cars. It really makes a car look ďsportyĒ and I have always wanted them for my own car. However with the way things are right now, there are no quad tip valances for 10-12 Mustangs. Therefore most are subject to cutting their valances in cheesy ways that never look quite right. I however decided to take a different approach. The OEM valance doesnít look that bad, honestly, and the boss and Roush valances donít offer much room to modify, so I decided that I would attempt to modify my stock one since itís going to get cut either way.

Now, I started off with Borla single exit S-type mufflers. They were on the car when I bought it so I wasnít very invested in them. So I decided that instead of buying new mufflers, I would find some tips I liked and just weld them on my Borlas, since I like my sound anyway. So I found some on eBay that looked nice for right around $100.

I cut the lower part of my valance completely off. I cut the tips off the Borlas and welded the new ones on. Got the mufflers reinstalled and aligned based on the part of the valance that was still on the car. Then it was into the hard part.

I cut the section of the valance I removed in half. This let me hold it up to the bumper again and figure out how much I was going to cut out of both sides. After each side was cut and trimmed, I fabricated a backing plate and riveted the two sides of the valance together.

Now I failed in take pictures of the next part, but if anyone else tries this, Iím sure everyone has different ways of doing it. I fabricated little tabs and riveted them to the lip of the valance. I removed my bumper and reattached the lower valance piece to the bumper via these tabs and rivets. Since the valance was shortened, the lower support tabs no longer lined up so I cut them off and fabricated metal ones that attached in their place. And these are my results thus far...

Itís still a little a little rough where it was cut. I plan on maybe making something to cover the seams, or filling them in and painting the valance. But I hope this inspires someone a little bit if they are wanting to do this to their car also. It can look really nice and I will update this thread as I work on it more. Let me know what yíall think!

2011 GT Premium 6-Speed
GO:S550 Longblock, Boss 302 Intake Manifold, Boss 302 Exhaust Cams, Airiad CAI, Boss 302 H-Pipe and Side Pipes, Borla S-Type Axlebacks
SHOW:GT350 20Ē Wheels, California Special/Boss Rear Spoiler, LED Marker Lights, S550 Style Headlights with HIDs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
I like it! Nice job!

If you like the bright shiny rivets, leave 'em be - but if you want to cut the glare, you could use a Sharpie on them and make them black pretty easy. They wouldn't be very noticeable then.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018
BOSS Member

Garage
That's the best looking quad setup I've seen on a 2011/12 GT.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
That's the best looking quad setup I've seen on a 2011/12 GT.

Thanks! I think so too. Iím know thereís a guy on another forum who did something very similar with a Boss/CS valance for 10-12 and it came out pretty decent too. Iím considering talking with some ABS companies on maybe producing them. My father-in-law is a composite guy and he thinks we should try and mold and make one out of carbon fiber.

2011 GT Premium 6-Speed
GO:S550 Longblock, Boss 302 Intake Manifold, Boss 302 Exhaust Cams, Airiad CAI, Boss 302 H-Pipe and Side Pipes, Borla S-Type Axlebacks
SHOW:GT350 20Ē Wheels, California Special/Boss Rear Spoiler, LED Marker Lights, S550 Style Headlights with HIDs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page