Stumped: Reverse Lights Stay On - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By adblink

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Stumped: Reverse Lights Stay On *UPDATE*

I'm having a problem with my 2011 3.7 MT Mustang that I'm hoping you guys can give me a hand with.

My reverse / backup lights stay on no matter what the condition. Forward gear even with the key out of the ignition they remain on. My first thought was reverse switch on the transmission, disconnected it but no change the lights stay on. The only way I can get them to turn off is to disconnect the battery. As soon as you reconnect it they come back on.

I checked all the other external lights, they all function normally. I have done a ton of searching online and can't find much of anything that is similar to this situation.

Any ideas?

2011 V6 Mustang
6 Speed Manual - 3.31 Gears
Kona Blue, Pony Package

Last edited by adblink; 05-06-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018
PONY Member

Get the schematics for the system and walk through it until you find the problem, or take it to an auto electric specialty shop and let them do it for you.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Stumped: Reverse Lights Stay On

What’s been done to the car? Does it have brake light sequencers? This is something that just started happening? Sounds very odd that they would stay on.

2011 GT Premium 6-Speed
GO:S550 Longblock, Boss 302 Intake Manifold, Boss 302 Exhaust Cams, Airiad CAI, Boss 302 H-Pipe and Side Pipes, Borla S-Type Axlebacks
SHOW:GT350 20” Wheels, California Special/Boss Rear Spoiler, LED Marker Lights, S550 Style Headlights with HIDs

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018
PONY Member

Do what other have said. My 'guess' is a part called, Switch assy- Reversing lamp.

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/sw...lamp-6364449-1

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
The part that pisses me off the most is that the car was hibernating in my attached garage the whole winter. Didn't have this problem when I parked it. I have no evidence of animals of any kind in my garage so I'm fairly certain it's not mice or anything.

The car does have sequential tail lights that came from the factory.

2011 V6 Mustang
Kona Blue, Pony Package
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
Do what other have said. My 'guess' is a part called, Switch assy- Reversing lamp.

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/sw...lamp-6364449-1

Is that the switch that I already have disconnected on the transmission?

2011 V6 Mustang
Kona Blue, Pony Package
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member

here is a link to prints....you said lights if it was only one I would be looking for water in the housing. Both you have some digging to do. Good luck

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ce-manual.html

Mud

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Does it have the stock bulbs in it or did you replace them with LED's. On my 2010 the cheap LED's would stay lit all the time in the back up lights and dome lights so I put the stock bulbs back in.
Ford Workshop Service & Repair Manuals - 2011 Mustang 2011 Mustang 093 - reversing lamps

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
Does it have the stock bulbs in it or did you replace them with LED's. On my 2010 the cheap LED's would stay lit all the time in the back up lights and dome lights so I put the stock bulbs back in.
Ford Workshop Service & Repair Manuals - 2011 Mustang 2011 Mustang 093 - reversing lamps
stock lights. No modifications to the lighting system at all.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
UPDATE ** (all of this testing was done with key off, forward gear and reverse switch on the transmission disconnected)

Looking at the prints Ford Workshop Service & Repair Manuals - 2011 Mustang 2011 Mustang 093 - reversing lamps (Thanks Siber Express). It shows the 2 wires coming out of the "body module b" going to the L & R reverse lights. I located the module and disconnected the larger black connector, the reverse lights turn off.

I manually powered the body control module only without the connector by running a jumper from the connector battery (-/+) to the body control module. Using a test light I found that the only 2 pins that had power still in this condition were the 2 pins for the L & R reverse tail lights. According to the drawings the (+) is always hot, and it doesn't mention the (-) so I'm assuming that isn't switch. To me it sounds like that module is the problem? Internal short that is sending power to those 2 pins all the time?

2011 V6 Mustang
Kona Blue, Pony Package
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Haven't made any progress, and despite lots of cross posting online can't find anyone who has experienced this.

Doing something I didn't think I'd ever have to. Taking it to the dealer this Wednesday. &#x1f61e;

2011 V6 Mustang
Kona Blue, Pony Package
Rookie

Hi

In nearly all cases when lights stay ON even ignition is OFF, there is a defect Transistor in in the SJB, body module etc.
The Transistor mostly is a "smart" highside switch with up to 6 pins. When you have located the pins on the SJB etc., you can follow the conducting path to locate it.
For replacement look for the datasheet ( transistor ) and find a compatible ( stronger ) type ( mostly marked with BTS XXX ).

Sorry for my german english
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in