Brakes next project expanded scope - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JBert

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Brakes next project expanded scope

Good afternoon all,
thought I would start a thread about the next big project for my car. (2013 GT a fair amount of work already done) Thought starting a new thread would be fun as I enjoy the conversations here.

So I am planning this fall to tackle the brake upgrades and will be going with the Brembo 4 pitons and the GT 500 rear discs. I will source all the brake parts from Vorshlag. So here is the interesting part of my plan. I am thinking I will pull the rear end and have the housing media blasted and powder coated. So since it will be all apart I am thinking about what traction control device would be best. It seems this is going to be a good time to pull it having all the brake lines broken. Seems a 9 inch is over kill for my use and that is tempting. Currently running stock 3.73 gears and stock traction control. Plan on setting up the pinion gear lash myself but would consider hiring that out if I knew someone with some skills. Certainly replacing the drive shaft would be part of the project and adding a safety loop.

So anyone have any suggestions? Should I go with a Torsion traction control? Upgrade axels? C-clip elimination? or just go the 9 inch route?

The car is just a hobby and I am building with a road race flavor and opposed to drag.

2013 gt premium m6 3.73 with lots of aftermarket bits

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018
PONY Member

Stock traction control is really good, and3.73s are probably as low as you want unless you really enjoy shifting. Take a look at the S550 brake conversion I did. Cheaper than a off the shelf gt500 kit, easier to keep cool, and different!

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

For road track use the Torsen differential is supposed to be the hot setup. I guess it is a little "free-er" in corners without losing much ultimate traction. The stock differential is better for straight-line drag racing where ultimate traction is the goal.

Aluminum driveshaft would be a nice touch while you're at it. I have Shaftmasters which is simple and works fine, but did develop a vibration and had to go back to Shaftmasters for reballancing (after about 50K miles, can't complain too much). The ones with CV joints are said to be smoother, but can develop play in the CV joint.

USMC's S550 brake upgrade is definitely worth a look, if I had it to do over again I might go that route. But the 14" SVT GT500 Brembo kit (same through Vorschlag) is more than adequate and is what most of the road track guys use.

I'm sure you have read that setting up the rear gears is tricky . . . but probably not impossible if you know what you are doing.

I don't know about those other technical details
CDN5.0 likes this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018
PONY Member

Are you simply after the road racer look or are planning to actually get serious about road racing? If the former the 8.8 is fine, if the later I wouldn't hesitate to go with the nine inch. The nine inch is really good stock and it has a multitude of aftermarket support. If you plan to race more than one track the removable center section is the next best thing to a quick change rear end so if you have 2 or 3 extra center sections already setup you can tailor the rear end gearing to the track. I've done a couple of rear ends, but I am by no means an expert. The key things are the right tools, a good sense of feel or touch and patience.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRacer View Post
Are you simply after the road racer look or are planning to actually get serious about road racing? . . . .
I was assuming track days and maybe autocross but not serious road racing, that is an important point 'cause that's a whole different world

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRacer View Post
Are you simply after the road racer look or are planning to actually get serious about road racing? If the former the 8.8 is fine, if the later I wouldn't hesitate to go with the nine inch. The nine inch is really good stock and it has a multitude of aftermarket support. If you plan to race more than one track the removable center section is the next best thing to a quick change rear end so if you have 2 or 3 extra center sections already setup you can tailor the rear end gearing to the track. I've done a couple of rear ends, but I am by no means an expert. The key things are the right tools, a good sense of feel or touch and patience.

actually race no, track days yes. I used to run the 9 inch set-up in my old mustang race car back in the day. Had 4 center sections. Now it looks like the fabricated housing are available and I believe lighter. Here is how I see it, switching to the 9 inch is expensive. Keeping the 8.8, axel tubes only plug welded to the enter section and welding them is not that easy, requires jig and experience. 8.8 uses the crush sleeve to set lash. I am guessing I will keep the 8.8 and just get everything powder coated and tricked out.

Thanks for the conversation guys.

2013 gt premium m6 3.73 with lots of aftermarket bits

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page