Speaker upgrades? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Speaker upgrades?

I was thinking of pulling the door panels off to check tightening of the windows in my pursuit of small rattles and found videos on youtube to facilitate. They do it though to replace the speakers and I wondered if maybe it might be worth doing it also while I have them off. I have a basic system in my base 2014 and am not really impressed with the sound. I don't use it much anyway but noticeably the sound in my 2015 Fusion is vastly superior. I'm wondering though if just speakers will make much difference.
Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018
PONY Member

Even the cheapest aftermarket speaker will make a HUGE difference in sound quality. A good 3 way 5x7 will blow you away in the sound quality even when driven by the factory amp. You don't need to get separate components to get a nice sound. Just make sure to keep the factory bass speakers in the doors.

my89foxbody and scotmo like this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmc1488 View Post
Even the cheapest aftermarket speaker will make a HUGE difference in sound quality. A good 3 way 5x7 will blow you away in the sound quality even when driven by the factory amp. You don't need to get separate components to get a nice sound. Just make sure to keep the factory bass speakers in the doors.
I believe the size may actually be 6x8 and no separate speakers for bass. Here is a set I see advertised
2005-2014 Mustang Kicker CS 6x8 Speaker Upgrade Kit

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018
PONY Member

Garage
Yes, Yes and Yes on the new speakers.
David Young likes this.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018
PONY Member

Even on my Shaker 500, the factory speakers were crap. I threw them in the trash
huberoy123 likes this.

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
What are your preferences/suggestions for speakers, considering no other audio component upgrades, just speaker replacement? I am currently looking at the the Kickers in the link I posted above, in addition to the Pioneer TS A688AR and the Pyle PL683BL (all Chinese) These I believe are obsolete models now and can be had fairly cheap (under $60 for the 4 in the case of the Pyle)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
I wound up buying 2 pairs of these for under $50 shipped. They should be well suited for the low output of the stock radio and they're cheap enough too. I'll post again when I get them and put them in.

Scoche HD57684
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I found Focals in clearance bin at Crutchfield.......they made a huge difference. The OEM's stink I describe it as listening to my drunk friends playing Bohemian Rhapsody on kazoos. Mine could have used a sub to get bass but the ease (1/2 day) of swapping all 4 was well worth it to me.
scotmo likes this.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I found Focals in clearance bin at Crutchfield.......they made a huge difference. The OEM's stink I describe it as listening to my drunk friends playing Bohemian Rhapsody on kazoos. Mine could have used a sub to get bass but the ease (1/2 day) of swapping all 4 was well worth it to me.
I checked with the people at Crutchfield and told them about the speakers I was considering for my application and they discourged those in favor of some Infinitys they had that were over $100 a pair but had the lower wattage like the ones I eventually bought which would be more efficient with my lower power radio. $50 instead of $200 so I'll see how they sound. If it makes me play the radio at all that will be a plus
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

The power handling capability of a speaker is not directly related to the efficiency/sensitivity of the speaker. In other words, a 100W speaker is not inherently less efficient than a 50W speaker. The two (power handling and efficiency) are separate specifications. You should look for speakers that can handle the output power of your amp (whether it's an external amp or just the one that's in the head unit), then compare which of those has better efficiency because that will mean getting more volume out of the same amount of power.

If someone at Crutchfield told you that a lower powered speaker would be more efficient just because it's lower powered and without checking the actual specs, then that person is a moron and really should know better considering where he's working.

2011 Pony Pkg. convertible M6
2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00 View Post
. . . If someone at Crutchfield told you that a lower powered speaker would be more efficient just because it's lower powered and without checking the actual specs, then that person is a moron and really should know better considering where he's working.
I'm guessing he was probably simplifying the explanation, and actually meant what you said earlier . . . but that could be wishful guessing, LOL :-)
scotmo likes this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00 View Post
The power handling capability of a speaker is not directly related to the efficiency/sensitivity of the speaker. In other words, a 100W speaker is not inherently less efficient than a 50W speaker. The two (power handling and efficiency) are separate specifications. You should look for speakers that can handle the output power of your amp (whether it's an external amp or just the one that's in the head unit), then compare which of those has better efficiency because that will mean getting more volume out of the same amount of power.

If someone at Crutchfield told you that a lower powered speaker would be more efficient just because it's lower powered and without checking the actual specs, then that person is a moron and really should know better considering where he's working.
He didn't tell me that specifically in those words but rather was my overall interpretation. My objective is improvement for minimal expense (while I have the panels off), not necessarily maximizing the efficiency of the stock radio. In fairness this is what he said:
Quote:
If you are keeping the factory stereo in that Mustang then I would not go with either of the three that you mentioned. I would honestly recommend these speakers to you. The Infinity Reference REF-8632CFX <https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R86...F-8632cfx.html> 6x8" 2-way car speakers are high sensitivity car speaker that works amazing with factory stereos. The reason why you need a high sensitivity speaker is that your factory stereo does not push out much power to make an after market speaker sound good. So you need a high sensitivity speaker that doesn't take much power at all to sound good. These speakers fit both locations and this is what you need.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Ahhh... that is understandable. Except that the sentence "you need a high sensitivity speaker that doesn't take much power at all to sound good." should be "you need a high sensitivity speaker that doesn't take much power at all to sound loud." Efficiency has no relation to sound quality - only to sound volume. But I can understand that they often don't get into the details in their explanations.

Infinity speakers are good quality and quite efficient but some people don't like them because they are very bright (lots of treble) compared to other brands. It's a matter of personal preference - many people like the clarity of a bright speaker while others complain that it "makes their ears bleed". It's always best to check out speakers at a local store if you can so that you have an idea of how they will sound. Take some music that you're familiar with to make comparisons.
scotmo likes this.

2011 Pony Pkg. convertible M6
2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
Apprentice

Thanks for the video. I need to adjust my window and this will help. Too late now I guess, but I installed infinity reference speakers in my old jeep many years back and they were really good.
scotmo likes this.
PONY Member

Garage
My Shaker (not Shaker Pro) system had some goofy paired midrange and tweeter speakers mounted together in a molded step shaped housing that conformed to the inside of the door. I had to purchase those black plastic adapters (shown in the videos) before I could mount conventional flat framed speakers. I went with the full Shelby Store / Kicker upgrade including the 8" door subs, trunk sub and amp. Not sure if these bits are still available but they do sound great.

scotmo likes this.

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page