Ford Mustang Forum banner

More airbag issues

8K views 68 replies 25 participants last post by  Herb07GT 
#1 ·
I got this message on my Ford service account today.

• Recall Date: JAN 28, 2019
  • Recall Title: PASSENGER AIRBAG INFLATOR REPLACEMENT
  • NHTSA Recall Number: AWAITING#
  • Ford Recall Number: 19S01
  • Recall Description: THE PASSENGER FRONTAL AIRBAG INFLATOR COULD RUPTURE IF THE VEHICLE IS INVOLVED IN A CRASH WHERE THE SUPPLEMENTAL FRONTAL AIRBAGS ARE DESIGNED TO DEPLOY. THIS DEFECT REPORT IS IN RESPONSE TO DEFECT REPORTS THAT TAKATA IS EXPECTED TO SUBMIT BY DECEMBER 31, 2018 IN ACCORDANCE THE TERMS SPECIFIED IN THE MAY 4, 2016 AMENDMENT TO THE TAKATA CONSENT ORDER IN EA 15001. FORD IS NOT AWARE OF ANY REPORTS OF ACCIDENT OR INJURY RELATED TO THIS CONDITION ASSOCIATED WITH THE INFLATORS INCLUDED IN THIS RECALL. FORD IS NOT AWARE OF ANY REPORTS OF ACCIDENT OR INJURY RELATED TO THIS CONDITION.
  • Risk to Safety: THE PASSENGER FRONTAL AIRBAG INFLATOR COULD RUPTURE IF THE VEHICLE IS INVOLVED IN A CRASH WHERE THE SUPPLEMENTAL FRONTAL AIRBAGS ARE DESIGNED TO DEPLOY. IF AN INFLATOR RUPTURES METAL FRAGMENTS COULD ENTER THE PASSENGER COMPARTMENT INCREASING THE RISK OF INJURY OR DEATH TO OCCUPANTS.
  • Remedy Program: OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND INSTRUCTED TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLE TO A FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER TO HAVE THEIR PASSENGER FRONTAL AIRBAG INFLATOR REPLACED. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR THIS SERVICE. FORD WILL FORWARD A COPY OF THE NOTIFICATION LETTERS TO DEALERS TO THE AGENCY WHEN AVAILABLE.
  • Manufacturer Notes: TO CHECK FOR NON-SAFETY-RELATED PROGRAMS APPLICABLE TO YOUR VEHICLE, SEE HTTP://WWW.FORD.COM/ OR CALL YOUR FORD DEALER.

Be advised that this system tracks Recalls and Customer Satisfaction Programs for which vehicles are subject to repair in the United States. The information provided is subject to change and update. There may be temporary delays in update of information on this site due to a number of factors. For the latest information regarding the status of your vehicle or any recall program of Ford Motor Company, please contact your local dealership directly or the Customer Relationship Center.

A recall is an action by the Company to remedy a safety concern related to a vehicle defect or regulatory requirement. It may require that you return your vehicle to the dealer for service. If your vehicle is not affected, it may be because it was built at a different time or using a different part than the affected vehicles.

See less See more
#5 ·
Yep, just checked mine on the Ford Owner site, and I now have the same notification.

Back to the dealer... facepalm2.gif

#7 ·
I got this message on my Ford service account today.

• Recall Date: JAN 28, 2019
  • Recall Title: PASSENGER AIRBAG INFLATOR REPLACEMENT
  • NHTSA Recall Number: AWAITING#
  • Ford Recall Number: 19S01
  • Recall Description: THE PASSENGER FRONTAL AIRBAG INFLATOR COULD RUPTURE IF THE VEHICLE IS INVOLVED IN A CRASH WHERE THE SUPPLEMENTAL FRONTAL AIRBAGS ARE DESIGNED TO DEPLOY. THIS DEFECT REPORT IS IN RESPONSE TO DEFECT REPORTS THAT TAKATA IS EXPECTED TO SUBMIT BY DECEMBER 31, 2018 IN ACCORDANCE THE TERMS SPECIFIED IN THE MAY 4, 2016 AMENDMENT TO THE TAKATA CONSENT ORDER IN EA 15001. FORD IS NOT AWARE OF ANY REPORTS OF ACCIDENT OR INJURY RELATED TO THIS CONDITION ASSOCIATED WITH THE INFLATORS INCLUDED IN THIS RECALL. FORD IS NOT AWARE OF ANY REPORTS OF ACCIDENT OR INJURY RELATED TO THIS CONDITION.
  • Risk to Safety: THE PASSENGER FRONTAL AIRBAG INFLATOR COULD RUPTURE IF THE VEHICLE IS INVOLVED IN A CRASH WHERE THE SUPPLEMENTAL FRONTAL AIRBAGS ARE DESIGNED TO DEPLOY. IF AN INFLATOR RUPTURES METAL FRAGMENTS COULD ENTER THE PASSENGER COMPARTMENT INCREASING THE RISK OF INJURY OR DEATH TO OCCUPANTS.
  • Remedy Program: OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND INSTRUCTED TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLE TO A FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER TO HAVE THEIR PASSENGER FRONTAL AIRBAG INFLATOR REPLACED. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR THIS SERVICE. FORD WILL FORWARD A COPY OF THE NOTIFICATION LETTERS TO DEALERS TO THE AGENCY WHEN AVAILABLE.
  • Manufacturer Notes: TO CHECK FOR NON-SAFETY-RELATED PROGRAMS APPLICABLE TO YOUR VEHICLE, SEE HTTP://WWW.FORD.COM/ OR CALL YOUR FORD DEALER.

Be advised that this system tracks Recalls and Customer Satisfaction Programs for which vehicles are subject to repair in the United States. The information provided is subject to change and update. There may be temporary delays in update of information on this site due to a number of factors. For the latest information regarding the status of your vehicle or any recall program of Ford Motor Company, please contact your local dealership directly or the Customer Relationship Center.

A recall is an action by the Company to remedy a safety concern related to a vehicle defect or regulatory requirement. It may require that you return your vehicle to the dealer for service. If your vehicle is not affected, it may be because it was built at a different time or using a different part than the affected vehicles.
I am just glad my F150 didn't have a Takata in it when I was in my wreck. The bag deployed and the cover got my thumb. Crash Vehicle Car Collision Bumper

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Mine goes in this Friday.

#13 ·
Thank you guys -- I really had no idea what inflators are in what Ford vehicles.

I totalled my 2016 Jeep JK when someone turned in front of me while I was going 60. The bags deployed and the seat belts retracted. Probably the same experience as Siber Express's F-150. Its quite an experience and happens so quick. It crumpled the front of the Jeep but demolished the whole front of the other car and sent it spinning like a top in the direction of my travel. Airbags certainly allowed me and the other driver to walk away from the accident. It was a Takata unit.

Just two weeks earlier the Jeep was recalled and checked to verify the wire harness on the front crash sensor was proper routed. I believe the misrouted harness could disconnect in certain collision settings before the sensor detected a collision resulting in no airbag deployment . All I can say is there is certainly a lot that can go wrong with the supplemental restraint system besides the airbags.

Both of my Mustangs were recalled for the Driver and passenger airbags and in my experiences Ford, did a good job notifying me of the recall and letting me know when replacements were available. However, because of the rush by car owners to get it done I had to call a neighboring dealership to get the car in the shop last time.

I'm sure as time passes we will see more Takata recalls.

#14 ·
Well, Ford never notified me of the recall. I’m not sure if it’s because they are still in the notification process, or if I just got overlooked. I only found out by reading AFM and then looking at the Ford Owners Website.

I guess I’ll set up a repair date when I take it in for an oil change next time.

I rarely ever go to the Ford Owners site, so I wouldn’t have known without AFM members staying on top of things. Thanks to everyone...

#19 ·

Mine goes in Thursday. Sadly I think my A/C is failing again, so I’ll have the check that too.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote
#24 ·
I had the drivers side done after two trips to the dealer. The first trip was for noting as they didn't have the parts. The second trip things went ok. Then I get a notice for the passenger side and check with the dealer and the part was there this time. I go to the dealer after 3.5 hours the write up manager says the part was damaged and he will bring my car out. After another 20 minutes I see him and no car. I ask him if he could not find my car and he said the tech was putting things back together. Don't you think before you would take things apart one would check the parts. Now for another trip after a new part is ordered. Who knows when it will come in. Good thing I am retired as I would have been torqued off taking vacation time from work.:frown:

Reactions: Old Goat Ninja
#25 ·
Got my passenger side notice over a month ago but car isn't out for the season. I had the driver side a couple years back, got a buddy who is a tech at the dealer so he just takes it to work, does the recall, and drops it off on his way home.

Most of the time it's just me in the Mustang, what I'm curious about now is what kind of inflators are in my 14 Explorer that my wife and daughters are in almost every day . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.