Looking at Mustang currently and have a quick question/concern. - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By JBert
  • 2 Post By Old Goat Ninja
  • 1 Post By Rpinaiii
  • 1 Post By RBK

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019 Thread Starter
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Looking at Mustang currently and have a quick question/concern.

So I am looking and considering buying my next Mustang and looking at what seller claims is pre-detail pictures and the following is an attached pic of the engine which looks oddly dirty for a very low mileage 1 owner car. This may be nothing and 100% normal, but just want to know for certain nothing to be concerned about. With all the crazy weather we have had in the past year or so there have been a lot of floods and flood cars are bound to pop up. Doubtful thats what this is, but just want to ask. I always clean my cars and wipe down under the hood and everywhere so it is clean so not sure if this is normal if that isn't down...

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dirty Engine.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	608747  

Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9.)
2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT (I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Ya, pretty dirty. But, where is the car located and what is the mileage?

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019
PONY Member

Garage
There seems to be some missing info here. What is the year, mileage, State and location? For a 2011, 40k miles, from a Kansas farm it's in good shape.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post
So I am looking and considering buying my next Mustang and looking at what seller claims is pre-detail pictures and the following is an attached pic of the engine which looks oddly dirty for a very low mileage 1 owner car. This may be nothing and 100% normal, but just want to know for certain nothing to be concerned about. With all the crazy weather we have had in the past year or so there have been a lot of floods and flood cars are bound to pop up. Doubtful thats what this is, but just want to ask. I always clean my cars and wipe down under the hood and everywhere so it is clean so not sure if this is normal if that isn't down...

Thanks!
Looks normal to me, mine looked like that once. It was around 7 months after I purchased the car. I don't open the hood often but when I do that's what it looks like and I use Griots detail spray and a rag to clean it up. I blame the vents in the hood for how much dirt gets in there

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I'm guessing that's what the engine of a car with hood vents that has been driven in the rain looks like . . . but I don't know if that is "normal" or not, since I have never owned a car with hood vents
MustangLife likes this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019
PONY Member

Totally normal. Me and a co-worker both have 2014 Mustang GT's, both of us wash them often. They both look clean parked together at work. Until you pop the hoods. I always wipe my engine bay down after a wash (weekly), he never does. Once the hood is popped, it's like we have 2 completely different cars. His engine is dusty as hell. We both live and work in the same environment, drive in the same weather, so that's not it, it's just down right neglect on his part when it comes to engine cleanliness.
my89foxbody and MustangLife like this.

2014 Mustang GT Premium 401a; "Now you can add Premium to your signature." - Thereaper
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019 Thread Starter
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Yeah I didn't think about the hood vents. It is located in NC and always has. Around 40K miles I forget how many. So seems it may be normal from what @Old Goat Ninja is saying.

(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9.)
2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT (I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
It looks fine... Itís right at the stage where I wipe mine down. He hasnít totally neglected it or it would be a lot worse. Mine probably looks like that right now. I have 32k on the clock, occasionally drive in the rain, and go about 3 months without cleaning under the hood and live in NC also.

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019
Apprentice

Also if you are worried about flood damage just check under carpet interior floor or trunk in the spare tire compartment. If there are rusted bolts with gunk, etc. Then I would say it's been flooded.
crjackson2134 likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019 Thread Starter
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Yeah I was going to ask and do some research on how to tell flood damage as with the all the hurricanes even local in NC they are bound to pop up around here... I have noticed rusted bolts where the seats bolt to the car before and rusted seat rail and don't think my past cars were flood cars. I mean they were purchased used so who knows, but too many of them were like that. haha Is there a tell tell way to know if a car has been flooded?

I am going now to think on a car and try to sleep at the same time. Dealer after days of talking finally late tonight before closing accepted my offer today so I now have to sleep on going through with it or continue to have 2nd thoughts on if I want to pick up another Mustang. I can't seem to keep a Mustang out of my garage long. I keep telling my wife if I am going to be addicted to something in life it is better a Mustang than many other things. haha

GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post
Yeah I was going to ask and do some research on how to tell flood damage as with the all the hurricanes even local in NC they are bound to pop up around here... I have noticed rusted bolts where the seats bolt to the car before and rusted seat rail and don't think my past cars were flood cars. I mean they were purchased used so who knows, but too many of them were like that. haha Is there a tell tell way to know if a car has been flooded?
Pull the rear seat and look for signs water in the structural reliefs. There will be pockets of water or telltale signs unless someone was diligent and cleaning that up right away. Also look at the lighting lenses (head/tail). Water often seeps in and leaves a water line about 1/8" up on the reflector and lease covers.

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
PONY Member

Seat belts are good for checking flood damage. Pull them all the way out and check those out, look for signs of water, etc.

2014 Mustang GT Premium 401a; "Now you can add Premium to your signature." - Thereaper
Rookie

I had my 2013 Mustang GT in commercial storage for two years inside one of those balloon domes, and you couldn't believe how dirty the engine compartment looked when I took the car out. As alluded to by other posters, it's probably due to the hood vents which started in 2013. Then Ford started making them smaller on the 2015s and up.

On my car, there was bad water spotting around the engine compartment too, which was really difficult to remove even though we don't have very hard water here in Hawaii. At first I thought the storage employees were driving the car around, but couldn't be due to the mileage (and the spider webs in the undercarriage), so I guess they were washing the car once a month as they advertised. It was really a hassle getting the engine compartment clean again due to all the nooks and crannies where you can only get half a hand in, or a couple of fingers, so good luck!
RBK
Rookie

Just looks like surface dirt and dust that any engine that has not been cleaned would accumulate.
my89foxbody likes this.
PONY Member

Check the inside of a few pieces of the lower wire loom and see if it looks like it got flooded.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page