Ford Mustang Forum banner

Strut Tower Brace Options with DOB GT550-S197 Supercharger Kit

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  crjackson 
#1 ·
I am trying to find out my options for a strut tower brace that would fit over the Department of Boost (DOB) GT550-S197 supercharger kit (Upgraded with VMP Gen II SC and a JLT 123 mm cold air intake) for my 2013 Mustang GT and still fit under the stock hood with minimal modifications.

#2 ·
what does DOB suggest? I hear their facebook page is a good place to get this kind of information, either directly from Jason or from one of the other customers

#3 ·
Jason recommended to join the Department of Boost Owners and Fans facebook page and ask the question. I have not yet been able to confirm what would fit yet for sure, but from what I have researched online it sounds like the FRPP 07-09 GT500 (Stock for the GT500KR) fits with some people having to cut the hood insulation to fit and some having to use a ball peen hammer to the underside of the hood also. But that strut tower brace is no longer available. https://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-strut-brace-0709gt500.html

I have also heard from a couple sources that the 11-14 cars don't require it. But I have also heard that it is needed for stability purposes around curves and corners at high speed. My car came with one so I feel I should have one.

Apparently the 2013 mustang cobra jet does not have a strut tower brace (But maybe they have other chassis stiffeners beyond stock chassis?) but they typically go in a straight line until they lose control. https://www.topspeed.com/cars/ford/2013-ford-mustang-cobra-jet-ar110495.html

Reactions: huberoy123
#4 ·
I too have heard that the S197 chassis is very stiff without it, so it isn't really needed and doesn't make much difference. That said, I did put one on my car anyway because I like the idea of it, and it looks cool under the hood.

I think the GT500 ones should be a good bet, but don't know for sure either.

#5 ·
I really couldn't tell you if this will work for your application or not, but I needed something taller to clear my intake and had to ditch the strut tower brace I was running (that I believe was very close to the stock brace's clearances). I got this one from LMR. Let me know if you have any questions.

Reactions: crjackson
#6 · (Edited)
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I’m in a similar situation looking for a brace to clear a Roush 2.3 SC in my 2014 GT.

I found this one listed at LMR

One review stated it specifically fits the 2014 GT with a Roush 2.3 installed, and posted a pic to prove it.
But ....

The LMR rep. I talked/emailed said that according to Steeda, it won’t work. :headscratch:

Thoughts?

#7 ·
That's a tough one. The photo would imply that the brace is working for that gentleman. Maybe he made some modification to make it fit. Have you considered stopping past a local machine shop/metal crafter, and asking them if could craft you one. Some have the CNC machine that can cut tight tolerances, that may fit your need. Could be an option if you can't find one commercially. Good luck.

#8 ·
Thanks, I have thought about that, and I’ll have to find a place that does this sort of work.

My next thought is a drive to the local Roush/Ford dealer and talk to them for suggestions. I was just hoping there was an already established solution.

#10 ·
Maybe look at the Rear Seat Delete, Cross-Member?
Not really what I’m looking for but thanks. I’m going to put a pin in this for a month or so.

#11 ·
I’m told this one will work, so I have one coming in next month...

OEM 2007-2009 GT500 strut tower brace fits perfectly and is installed on my car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.