Removing Pony Package features? (Quarter window louvers, paint, etc.) - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Old Goat Ninja

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Removing Pony Package features? (Quarter window louvers, paint, etc.)

Hello all, I'm considering buying a 2011 Mustang that looks great but has the Pony Package which I don't care for. I prefer a more stock look.
  • Quarter Window Louvers - It looks like those can be removed fairly easily with a hair dryer. Has anyone done it?
  • Blacked out trunk deck lid - Is this painted black, or is there something snapped on to it that can be removed?
  • Front grille metal outline - I'm guessing there's no easy way to remove this without removing the pony badge also.
  • Lower tape stripes - Can these be removed without ruining the paint?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019
PONY Member

The lower stripes and the front grille are the only 'Pony Package' items you have listed. The other things are just 'after market' parts someone has added. They were added, they can be removed. The black rear panel 'might' have had some drilling done when installed. I ordered my Premium with Pony Package v6 with the 'stripe delete', I bet they will be hard to remove. Check out youtube, should be videos on the best ways to remove them. Many after market parts are sold so you can make your Mustang look the way you want it

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic Trans. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 59,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019
PONY Member

The quarter window louvers pop right off, just pull. They are held on with dual lock/velcro. Once off, you'll have to remove the dual lock squares and glue residue, but it's easy.
crjackson2134 likes this.

2014 Mustang GT Premium 401a; "Now you can add Premium to your signature." - Thereaper

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Seems like 75%+ of the V6 Mustangs came with the rocker stripes, it was part of the $195 Spoiler + Stripe package. Pony package parts are the Grille, Fog lights and the Wheels. Everything else was an appearance package or came with the premium.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the answers everyone. The louvers were attached with adhesive but I was able to pry them off pretty easily with the help of a blow dryer.

Now I'm wondering about this trunk lid. It looks like it's just adhesive - you can see the gaps where it's not quite flush. I'm wondering if I can just use a blow dryer to heat it up and pry off like I did with the louvers without damaging the paint underneath. Does anyone know?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190528_2251408.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	499.7 KB
ID:	610059  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

As an update, the trunk decklid was indeed a poorly installed aftermarket addition and I was able to pry it off pretty easily with a blow dryer. But there is a ton of adhesive left that I couldn't get off so I am just going to take it to a detailer.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

^For future reference for anyone finding this thread, I was able to pry the decklid and louvers off with a blowdryer but there was nasty adhesive left over. I tried automotive Goo Gone but it didn't work, so I took it to a detailer and they got everything off.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Apprentice

The detailer should have been able to remove the stripe decals also. However depending on how long they were on there, you may get a ghost imprint because of fading paint around them.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07redstang View Post
The detailer should have been able to remove the stripe decals also. However depending on how long they were on there, you may get a ghost imprint because of fading paint around them.
Interesting - I didn't think it would be possible. I think I will just keep them though. I don't really care for them, but I also will be selling the car after a year or two and removing them would decrease the value.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Rookie

Equipment Group 202A – V6 Pony Package
includes 18" polished aluminum wheels with
P235/50R18 W-rated tires, unique Pony grille, fog
lamps, automatic headlamps, carpeted front floor
mats with embroidered Pony logo, lower bodyside
tape stripes, and rear decklid spoiler
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobuick86 View Post
Equipment Group 202A – V6 Pony Package
includes 18" polished aluminum wheels with
P235/50R18 W-rated tires, unique Pony grille, fog
lamps, automatic headlamps, carpeted front floor
mats with embroidered Pony logo, lower bodyside
tape stripes, and rear decklid spoiler
Thanks, that's helpful. As I reported above, I was able to pry off the decklid panel and the louvers pretty easily but they left some nasty adhesive behind. The detailer was able to get all the adhesive off for about $50. I actually don't care for any of that stuff except the automatic headlights and fog lamps, but the backup camera is embedded in the spoiler and after getting the bad aftermarket stuff removed I can live with everything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page