• 6 Post By 5.0 Coyote
  • 8 Post By crjackson2134

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Note left on my Mustang today..

Went to the dentist today, found this note under my wiper. Way cool, never had this happen before. The reference about thanking me for my service is because I have veteran plates on my Mustang (Army '72-'75).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Note.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	610143  
ONEZ ST, kenv, 5.0 Coyote and 13 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

That`s cool. I get more thanks for your service nowadays wearing my USN veteran hat, than I ever did when I was in. Back then, if you were in uniform, you had the "young folk" cursing you out & calling you names, like assassin & baby killer.

Ken, US Navy, 1964 - 1968

ONEZ ST, 5.0 Coyote, JBert and 6 others like this.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019
PONY Member

Nice. I was in the Army from 1972-1975 too
ONEZ ST, kenv, 5.0 Coyote and 4 others like this.

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic Trans. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 59,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

that's good to hear, and thank you all for your service :-)

when I saw the post subject line I was afraid it was going to be something different . . .

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

October 1967--May 2001 U S Army/DOD.Freedom is never free,there is always a cost, no matter the year or generation.I am glad I had a chance to serve this great nation and it's people,no matter if they appreciated or not,my American made Mustang put's a smile on my face every time I drive it. LOL
ONEZ ST, kenv, JBert and 6 others like this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
My father served in the Tet Offensive in Vietnam., as did my next door neighbor. I wasn't around to see how badly people treated you guys when you got home, but I've heard plenty of stories.

For all of you that served, in any era, any capacity - thanks for safeguarding me, and serving your country. I'm proud of you.

(If those 'young ones' had had any sense, they'd have been spitting on the politicians, not the soldiers!) *grin*
ONEZ ST, kenv, 5.0 Coyote and 6 others like this.

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019
Apprentice

I had 4 uncles (my Mom's brothers) deployed during WWII. One in the South Pacific, 2 in Europe and one in the states. My dad was in the Air force during the Korean War. I had an accident when I was 13 that cost me my left kidney. I talked to a Marine Recruiter in 1973 and could not pass the physical. I always felt I fell a little short of being a true patriot. I have the utmost respect for all those that have served and are serving.
ONEZ ST, kenv, 5.0 Coyote and 5 others like this.

He is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019
PONY Member

USAF 1964-1968. I have never been ashamed of my military service and indeed it's quite the opposite, I think military service is very honorable thing. I am a bit embarrassed however when people thank me for having served. Let me explain and if what I say is too controversial for this board I will quite understand if the moderators wish to remove it. My generation [ I was born in 1944 ] unlike today's generation never really had much of a choice regarding military service. There was a military draft in the '60's [ no lottery ] and you either enlisted or you were drafted unless you had either legitimate medical reasons or the right connections to claim a disability. You could also avoid military service because of family obligations or get a college deferment. Lastly you could have it both ways. You could try to get into the National Guard or the Reserves. At that time unlike today, the Guard and Reserves were seldom called to active duty. This allowed people who were either lucky or had the " right connections" to avoid the stigma of being a draft dodger while still not having to serve much more than a few months of stateside training. There have been plenty of politicians of both parties and across a broad spectrum of ideologies as well as lesser known people whose families had the means to take advantage of these methods of avoiding active duty military service. Basically I didn't really have much of a choice. Today's young men and women do have a choice and so I think they are far more deserving of thanks than I or others of my generation are. That said, some people in my generation did enlist out of a real sense of duty and not simply because they knew they would be drafted if they didn't. In any case anyone who has or is serving in the military has made a personal sacrifice in doing so.

Last edited by XRacer; 06-05-2019 at 05:29 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRacer View Post
USAF 1964-1968. I have never been ashamed of my military service and indeed it's quite the opposite, I think military service is very honorable thing. I am a bit embarrassed however when people thank me for having served. Let me explain and if what I say is too controversial for this board I will quite understand if the moderators wish to remove it. My generation [ I was born in 1944 ] unlike today's generation never really had much of a choice regarding military service. There was a military draft in the '60's [ no lottery ] and you either enlisted or you were drafted unless you had either legitimate medical reasons or the right connections to claim a disability. You could also avoid military service because of family obligations or get a college deferment. Lastly you could have it both ways. You could try to get into the National Guard or the Reserves. At that time unlike today, the Guard and Reserves were seldom called to active duty. This allowed people who were either lucky or had the " right connections" to avoid the stigma of being a draft dodger while still not having to serve much more than a few months of stateside training. There have been plenty of politicians of both parties and across a broad spectrum of ideologies as well as lesser known people whose families had the means to take advantage of these methods of avoiding active duty military service. Basically I didn't really have much of a choice. Today's young men and women do have a choice and so I think they are far more deserving of thanks than I or others of my generation are.
I was born in 1946,and had no choice either,but all those that served, no matter what branch of service, took the OATH to protect and serve this great nation,and with that OATH there was always a risk,thank's to all that took that OATH and for there service.
ONEZ ST, kenv, az.dsrt and 3 others like this.
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
My disabled veteran plates gets me that too sometimes.

Sometimes I get cursed out however, because somehow, people who drive Mustangs, or are disabled from Military service arent worthy of parking in an HC spot.

In any case, I retired from the Army, and again from Law Enforcement. Im proud of my family, my country, my community, my service, and my Mustang....
ONEZ ST, kenv, 5.0 Coyote and 5 others like this.

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page