Intermittent radiator fan - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RowdyCoyote
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Intermittent radiator fan

Hey guys, I've got a 2013 gt and sometimes my radiator fans don't come on causing the car to overheat. In these instances turning on the ac doesn't kick the fans on either. The high and low speed fuses and relays are all good. I've changed them all, and I also replaced the thermostat. I'm running out of things to try and am getting real frustrated. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Did you check the fan motor to see if it is working,kind of a known problem with these cars.
5.0 Coyote.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

No, I figured that if the fan motor was toast it wouldn't work at all. As it sits it works probably 80% of the time. Makes it very difficult to diagnose.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
BOSS Member

Garage
Is the car Tuned ?

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Yes, it's a cobra jet set up with long tubes. Tuned by vmp.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyCoyote View Post
Hey guys, I've got a 2013 gt and sometimes my radiator fans don't come on causing the car to overheat. In these instances turning on the ac doesn't kick the fans on either. The high and low speed fuses and relays are all good. I've changed them all, and I also replaced the thermostat. I'm running out of things to try and am getting real frustrated. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Sounds like the cooling fan resistor has crapped out on you. If you Google the part number you can find it a little cheaper than TASCA

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...Y4LWdhcw%3D%3D

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Garage
This may sound dumb, but the fan should only come on when the engine temp reaches a certain temp. It is triggered by the block temperature sender. If the sender is defective, it may not show an "overheat" temp. Also, how hot is your "overheating"? Engines can run at the 240* range and still not be overheated.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Unread 52 Minutes Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

So I'm pretty sure the temp sensor is working. It doesn't come on when i kick the ac on either. I replaced the resistor and it great for about a week then tonight started overheating again. Any other suggestions?
imps likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Unread 43 Minutes Ago
BOSS Member

Garage
I would give VMP a call and see if they had any issues with their tune.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Unread 31 Minutes Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

I tried to and the pretty much told me to kick rocks unless I bought another tune.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Unread 29 Minutes Ago
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyCoyote View Post
So I'm pretty sure the temp sensor is working. It doesn't come on when i kick the ac on either. I replaced the resistor and it great for about a week then tonight started overheating again. Any other suggestions?
Fans are switched on and off by the temp. sensor, but only indirectly. The sensor cannot switch the high currents demanded by fan motors, but it CAN switch a relay on and off, the relay having heavy contacts able to turn motors on and off.

The intermittent operation could easily be caused by burnt relay contacts; surprised no one mentioned it. If this system uses a "CCRM" (Constant Control Relay Module), as my '94 GT had, note HAD, no more, you can't access only the fan relay. The CCRMs contain several relays, fan, fuel pump, etc.

Since it's intermittent, I would throw in a manual switch, turn on and offable while driving, and see if the overheat goes away. Doing that would eliminate several possible causes: "tune", temp. sensor, fan motor, wiring harness, etc. Lot of trouble, sure. Or go ahead and replace the CCRM, or fan relay, if accessible alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page