Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Reeveman
  • 1 Post By huberoy123

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Dang Door Vinyl Inserts!!!

I know there are threads on this but I just want to rant some. Why didn't Ford learn from the last generation of Mustangs how to install the vinyl inserts so that they won't start to sag over time? I had to fix them on my '06, my '08, and now my '11! Just seeing the thing in the corner of my eye irritates me to no end. I was able to fix the ones on my '06 but the '08 started to come off again after a few months and I wound up having a shop repair them. They still started to come apart over time. So I take my '11 to get a quote to have the drivers side door fixed and they quoted $150...for one door!!

Those of you that have had them fixed in a shop, what was the average price you paid for one door? Right now I just can't justify spending that amount of cash just to re-glue a patch of vinyl so the other question I have is what's the best glue to use to reattach them?

UPDATE 9/10/2019: Well, I removed the vinyl insert on the drivers side door a few weeks ago, cleaned both the door and the insert thoroughly, applied headliner adhesive to both and placed it back on the door. For a while it held great but after a trip to the Florida coast it's started to fail once again along with the passenger door so it's back to square one.

2011 GT (Mustang No. 7)
Candy Red

No mods...yet

Last edited by Reeveman; 1 Week Ago at 08:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I used spray-on headliner glue. I sprayed the vinyl and the door panel and let them sit for an couple minutes before giving the vinyl another thin spray and placing it back on the door panel. . I used a small plastic putty knife to smooth out any creases in the vinyl and to tuck the edges in. 3 years and they are holding up.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I did the same exact thing as Onez St and never had another issue but I sold the car about a year after fixing them so I'm not sure if it's still holding.

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Thanks for the reply, guys. I used some 3M stuff on the '06 and it held like a champ. Unfortunately, I couldn't remember what strength it was so the ones on my '08 never held. When I took it to the shop they had to charge extra just to clean the old glue off.

I do know that you have to thoroughly clean the old backing off the door and vinyl before re-gluing them back. Anyway, I just wish Ford had found a way to keep them from sagging and making our otherwise awesome cars look bad.
huberoy123 likes this.

2011 GT (Mustang No. 7)
Candy Red

No mods...yet
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019
PONY Member

Garage
I strip the panels and glue. Threw the panels in the trash, and replaced them with solid ABS panels from LMR. Cost around $130 for the pair. Happy with the results.
crjackson2134 likes this.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huberoy123 View Post
I strip the panels and glue. Threw the panels in the trash, and replaced them with solid ABS panels from LMR. Cost around $130 for the pair. Happy with the results.

Huberoy, I checked the LMR site and didn't find them. How long have you had yours?

2011 GT (Mustang No. 7)
Candy Red

No mods...yet
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019
PONY Member

Garage
I've had them for about 3 years. The brand name is SVE and called "2005 - 2009 Ford Mustang Door Panel Inserts." May want to call LMR customer service to see if the are still available. I paid 129.99 for the pair.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page