Ford Mustang Forum banner

build date for 2012 steering shudder fix?

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  discohouse 
#1 · (Edited)
Can someone tell me the build date in the 2012 model year, when they fixed the EPAS (electronic power assist steering) system to eliminate the shuddering / shaking problem? I'm pretty sure the problem was mostly caused when changing the bushings out to something firmer, but it could happen with the stock bushings also. Part way through the 2012 model year, the EPAS (rack?) was changed to correct this issue.

I'm pretty sure the date is in a thread or two on here somewhere, but I haven't been able to find them yet.

The reason I'm asking is, I am thinking about buying a 2012 car, and I want to make sure that I get one that was built after the fix.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I have a Jan 2012 build date and I do not have that issue. But I don't know when they incorporated it in production.

#3 ·
^ thanks, that narrows it down a bit!

#5 ·
Well, it turns out that one of the 2012's I am looking at, was built in December, 2011 . . . so I do need to nail down the date.

Reaper, did you install hard poly bushings in your front lower control arms? I will want to do that, and I have read that makes the steering rack go crazy on the 2011's and early 2012's, before the issue was fixed/updated.

#10 · (Edited)
Hey Dalton -- did you replace the bushings in your front lower control arms (a-arms) with Energy Suspension or Prothane bushings? If yes, that would confirm that your car has the updated steering rack, and it would be great if you could check your build date; it is on the sticker in the driver's door jam. Thanks!n

EDIT/UPDATE: I got your PM but for some strange reason, the system would not let me reply . . . will try again in a minute . . . thanks for offering to help, but the build date doesn't really mean much if we do not know if your car has the issue or not, and we can't tell if it has the issue if you have not installed hard bushings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.