Need car cover supplier - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Beechkid
  • 2 Post By Howelldaddy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Need car cover supplier

Is there any dealers in Ontario that supply good quality car covers? I prefer dealing with suppliers in Ontario, but will deal with U.S. suppliers if necessary.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
BOSS Member

Hope you find a supplier close to you...…. California Car Cover Company is excellent to deal with.....they brands they carry you should be able to ID a seller close to you. If the car is going to be stored outside, definitely get the best you can afford....if it's inside, my I suggest this.....IMHO....

In the past 40+ years I think Ihave used about every car cover known to man....when I had to store a caroutside for a few years, I really appreciated my cover from California CarCover Company....but for inside garage, general dust type protection, for mycar use (1-2 times a month) this is what I have determined for myself works thebest, easiest and cheapest!

After the car is wiped down.....

I cover the wheels with 33 gallon trash bags....I cut a slit on the back,traveling up about 2/3rds the way, allowing me to slip the bags over the tiresfrom the top down. It keeps the dust off the wheels, keeps any remaining oilsoff your legs (walking by), the car cover (so to speak) and if the pup likes topee on the wheels, they are protected ….this works real well in the outsideenvironmental protections as well....just use duct tape to secure the slitbackside together.

Next, I bought 4 queen size 100% cotton sheets (at the outlet center.....$20total)
each is marked with a permanent marking pen identifying trunk, roof, hood andfront, back, or side.

I 1st cover the roof, placing about 2" of the sheet inside the driver’sdoor at the top of the window, that pinches it in place and places the otherend, covering the passenger door and terminating at the rocker panel. Place thesecond one at the top of the passenger window and drape it to cover thedriver’s door, terminating at the rocker panel as well.

Next, cover the hood, poke a hole for the antenna....the sheet should covermost of the windshield (overlapping the roof sheets), terminating just belowthe front apron and the side of the fender just below the turn signals. Yesthere is excess in the corners....just wrap it around the ends of the frontbumper...it acts as padding and protects from any damage.

Next cover the trunk...starting just about 1 foot above the rear window (overlappingthe roof sheets) and terminating about 1 foot below the rear licenseplate....yeah there is excess...hold on.....

Now you have made two stops before doing this...one to a paint supply store (nonot home depot...I'm thinking Dunn Edwards, Sherwin Williams, etc.), they sellan 400 x 20 foot roll of visqueen (.31 mil) for about $18....yup do themath...you get enough to cover the car 20 times...it comes in a roll so youjust cut off what you need...storage is easy since the box is about 18" by4" x 4" so the cost is about $2 per use). Drape the car with theplastic.

Now for the attachment ......the other stop is at the local hardwarestore.....purchase 20 1/2" diameter magnets. Place them about 3 feet apartalong the rocker panels and at the bottom of the front apron, on top of theplastic and the cloth sheets....not even a chance of causing a scratch, butsecure enough to prevent movement from a moderate breeze, light wind.

Now for the rear...yes there is some excess....just like a Christmas package,wrap/fold the sheet/plastic as one at the corners, bringing the ends at thelicense plate, secure with magnets underneath at the gas tank. It covers theexhaust tips as well (I will also use a small trash bag to cover the tips toprotect the sheets from carbon)

It is loose enough that it allows the paint to breathe (no moisture build-up),but no dust contacts the paint, bumpers, etc. The cotton sheets are soft, theplastic is the dust barrier- typically you can get 2-3 uses out of the plastic,then just throw it away (about a $1 loss each time you replace). The sheets aresmall enough that you can wash them (as needed) in your own washer- going on 15years now.

With a conventional indoor car cover.....they do breathe, prevent moisture,etc, but, when they get dusty they really transfer a lot of dust to the vehicle(even when you are removing them)......and to wash them...well that's a trip tothe laundry mat...typically in 5 years, they are starting to get tired.

Overall, it's much more convenient, easy to maintain, store (I use a 33 gallontrash bag to store the sheets when we have the car out) and cost a fraction ofa car cover.

5.0 Coyote likes this.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
GT Member
S197 Member

Garage
I have been using Budge car covers for about 15 years. They have a great warranty. As Beechkid said, if you are using it outdoors, get the best you can afford. www.budgecovers.com
crjackson2134 and dgc333 like this.

Howelldaddy
89 LX Notch: Floo-Tek 5.0X heads, GT-40 intake, B-303 cam, Dynamic 3800 converter, 4.10:1 gears & lots of suspension work. 12.50 @ 106.42 MPH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page