• 3 Post By Beechkid
  • 3 Post By JBert
  • 2 Post By Radical540
  • 5 Post By Dana W

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
PONY Member

Unhappy warranty repair information

It's been 2 years now since I traded my 2014 Mustang GT for my current 2018 Subaru Crosstrek. Although I really like and enjoy the Crosstrek, I find myself really missing the GT. In order to maybe ease my yearning, I am trying to find out if the buyer of that GT had problems with it. Internet records show 2 warranties claimed during 2019, one being for rust and one being for "drivetrain". Is there any FREE way to determine the nature of the drivetrain issue with that car?

About 2 weeks prior to the trade I cranked the engine one afternoon at which time there was a rather loud tick (first occurrence in 50K miles). The tick had stopped by the time I arrived back home (24 miles). I was totally spooked which drove me to trade 2 weeks later. The car had other annoying issues such as squawking front LCA bushings, a radio that wouldn't stay on station and an annoying exhaust drone. Those were indeed somewhat annoying but not justification to dump the car.

Let me know if I can find out its specific drivetrain issue so I can either keep kicking myself for getting rid of it or be thankful that I did.

BTW the VIN is 1ZVBP8CFXE5332554.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek Premium CVT
(traded my 2014 GT Premium automatic on 19 August 2017)

Last edited by Okie Hick; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
BOSS Member

IMHO, Ford has some real QA issues.....IMHO, it was best to get rid of it.....

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
IMHO, Ford has some real QA issues.....IMHO, it was best to get rid of it.....
I used to be really hyped about getting a new 2019 GT but there's too much on the internet about those 5.0 engines and their serious issues. I'd be wary of a 2020 model since Ford doesn't seem to be very quick about coming up with definitive solutions. IMHO with the introduction of the beefed up 4 cyl Ecoboost (320 hp?) I am guessing that the future of the 5.0 might be in question. Any more many of the really "cool" cars seem to come with a juiced up turbo-driven 2.0 liter engine. I hate that! I'm a V8 child of the 60s!!!

<Don't ask why I'm currently driving a very unjuiced up Crosstrek 2.0. Long story....)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
BOSS Member

I don't think the 5.0 is going away, but what I do see IMHO, is Ford (like Chev Corvette) will be going back to the pushrod engine.....as has been publicly stated by the head of GM engine (Corvette).we can get the same power, reliability, same MPG at a lower RPM...

so much for the "text books" of the past decade or 2....it's really going to put some millineals into a tailspin (GRIN)

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
BOSS Member

Garage
My 2018 is a lot better car than the 2014 I traded. Ford seems to have stepped up the quality a little.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I don't think there is any way you can get more specific warranty/repair information on a car that you do not own, except maybe contact the dealer who did the work, who most likely won't tell you anything; or the new owner, who will think you are some kind of stalker.

but thanks for making me feel better about keeping my 2010 (for now) which is developing some annoying clunks and rattles but is still rock-solid reliable at 105K miles

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
I don't think there is any way you can get more specific warranty/repair information on a car that you do not own, except maybe contact the dealer who did the work, who most likely won't tell you anything; or the new owner, who will think you are some kind of stalker.
Yep that sums it up. I'll never know what the drivetrain issue was. I can only assume that it had to do with that loud tick I experienced on one occasion. I used to dread oil changes since it seems that those ticks surfaced afterward especially after the first oil change. I would just keep my fingers crossed when I cranked with the new oil. So I figure that a latent defect was probably in the throws if raising its ugly head.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
Apprentice

Garage
I find the comments in this post downright hilarious!!

5.0 Coyote and crjackson2134 like this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

...as I look out the window at my almost 15 year old Mustang GT with ticking, clunking, squawking, squealing, squeaking, whistling, wheezing parts all still hanging together through daily commutes of 18 miles one way at up to 80 mph...

If one gets this uptight about taking a chance on a repair in the future, warrantied or not, one needs to stay away from high performance cars or maybe cars of any sort, and learn to love Uber.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana W View Post
...as I look out the window at my almost 15 year old Mustang GT with ticking, clunking, squawking, squealing, squeaking, whistling, wheezing parts all still hanging together through daily commutes of 18 miles one way at up to 80 mph...
OK I'm glad you're happy with what sounds like a POS. I wouldn't tolerate what you are describing. But that's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana W View Post
If one gets this uptight about taking a chance on a repair in the future, warrantied or not, one needs to stay away from high performance cars or maybe cars of any sort, and learn to love Uber.
Well, how clever and insightful here! You and your fans seem to be OK with mediocrity. I live my life shunning mediocrity and minimizing regret. Try it. You'll be happier!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page