Jacking up rear end while on ramps? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By bl817
  • 1 Post By 07redstang
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Unread 6 Days Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Jacking up rear end while on ramps?

I have my car on ramps right now, front end elevated, but I need to raise up the rear to the same level so I can put in jack stands. My concern is the car rolling off the ramps once I jack up the rear, since the brakes aren't engaged in the front, obviously. Since both rear tires will be lifting off the ground simultaneously, there will be no braked wheels. But the other problem is, if the front wheels are braked, doesn't that mean the car won't "rotate" into a level position? Anyway, looking for advice on avoiding disaster!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Make sure the car is against the rear of the ramp that way the tire has room to rotate as you jack the rear up.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
GT Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Done this dozens of times. I use the pumpkin of the rear for lifting (this is up to you, just telling you what I do, if you do, make sure it is forward of the rear diff cover.) as long as the wheels on your jack are free to move forward as you lift the rear, you will be fine and don't worry about having the front brakes on. once in the air, I use a spot just forward of the rear lower control arm mounts to place my jack stands. I have another set I use for the rear diff. as I said, I use the pumpkin for lifting the rear of my car, others may say not to and that's their opinion. good luck
5.0 Coyote and imps like this.

Lots of bolt on goodies...

PONY Member

As stated above use a floor jack under the pumpkin. My exception is to place the jack stands under the differential instead of the frame. Its a lower point for the stands to reach easier.
imps likes this.

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07redstang View Post
As stated above use a floor jack under the pumpkin. My exception is to place the jack stands under the differential instead of the frame. Its a lower point for the stands to reach easier.
And that keeps the axle higher off the ground, allowing more room underneath with the rear springs carrying the car weight.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl817 View Post
Done this dozens of times. I use the pumpkin of the rear for lifting (this is up to you, just telling you what I do, if you do, make sure it is forward of the rear diff cover.) as long as the wheels on your jack are free to move forward as you lift the rear, you will be fine and don't worry about having the front brakes on. once in the air, I use a spot just forward of the rear lower control arm mounts to place my jack stands. I have another set I use for the rear diff. as I said, I use the pumpkin for lifting the rear of my car, others may say not to and that's their opinion. good luck
Most ramps have an up-turned "bump" up front, to tell the driver when the tire is all the way on the flat pad. On my ramps that pad is about 2" high, not much, but unless the rear were raised REAL high, the will not roll off the front of the ramp.

I have lifted by the pumpkin for more years than imaginable with no mishap. Ford as well as others recommend against it because it places high stress on the axle tubes where they enter the pumpkin. In the case of a weak puddle weld there breakage of the weld is possible. If you break one, it will leak fluid there.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Unread 6 Days Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Awesome advice guys, thanks. And yes, I've lifted several cars by the rear diff (not just Mustangs) with no problems. It's the best way I've found to avoid damage to the bodywork by jacking at a place other than the jack points. My problem is always finding a point where you can jack up, but still place the jack stands in the proper place. Obviously, you can't jack up at the jack point and also place the stand there. The rear diff trick is a great solution!
PONY Member

When I need all 4 corners in the air, I jack up the fronts and place the ramps under each wheel backwards. The ramps have a built-in stop. Place the stop right at the back edge of the tire. In reverse they prevent the vehicle from rolling back when jacking up the rear.

2006 GT- Airaid Race CAI, 62mm BBK TB, SR Performance UD Pullies, FRPP Hot Rod Cams, CMDP's, Excedy Stage One Clutch and lightweight flywheel, Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with matching O/R H-Pipe & MBRP Street Axlebacks, Lito 91 Octane Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in