All seasons vs snow tires? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

All seasons vs snow tires?

Hey all. Wanted to ask if anyone here is running their GT with all seasons in snowy part of the world. I'm located in Minnesota and want to know if I can make do with all seasons to save a good chunk of cash, or if it'll be too dangerous to drive. For what it's worth, I am a careful driver and I don't plan on hooning around or banging gears in the winter traffic and roads.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

For what its worth All season are still no season, If you plan on driving it around all winter it would be much easier on a set of Snow tires.

5.0 Coyote and crjackson2134 like this.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

All season tires can work in very light snow and/or slushy roads. They are not the equivalent to snow tires. Personally I stay off the roads with the Mustang in snow conditions.
5.0 Coyote and crjackson2134 like this.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Here in PA we get a decent amount of snow, I run all seasons. But for anything more than an inch of snow you are going to want to get some snow tires, otherwise it is going to be fishtail city...

2011 V6 Mustang - Premium 202A Spec (Pony Package) - SOLD!

2014 V8 Mustang - Premium 400A Spec
6 Speed Manual, 3.31 Rear
Black, Charcoal Black
Comfort Package, Security System
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

In my experience the best winter tire for the Mustang and other rear wheel performance cars is the Blizzak winter tire. Aftermarket rims and $300 a tire at most outlets gives you a good combo you can install during the peak snow season. I have a set of Conti DWS all seasons mounted on a spare set of rims for the Mustang and a set of Blizzak for the other car and the Blizzak is superior performing.

But to the OPs point - - can you run a GT in a snowy part of the world with all season tires and save some Benjamins. If my first sentence wasn't a hint how I would answer, my answer is yes. But if you drive a RWD car with All-Season tires in snow and ice - - just travel as fast as you fell comfortable crashing.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
For what its worth All season are still no season, If you plan on driving it around all winter it would be much easier on a set of Snow tires.
Yes!^^^^

Pete

2014 Shelby GT500:Delivered 4/3/13, Black/Black stripes/Black interior, SVT Track Package, SVT Performance Package, JLT Oil Seperator, FRPP Resonator Delete, Syntha Max blue air filter, Revan Racing shifter bushing, Michelin PSS tires, Lloyd GT500 mats, and yes the stock Shelby seats.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEZ ST View Post
In my experience the best winter tire for the Mustang and other rear wheel performance cars is the Blizzak winter tire. Aftermarket rims and $300 a tire at most outlets gives you a good combo you can install during the peak snow season. . . . .
I second that -- if you are going to be driving the Mustang through the winter, it is well worth the cost to get a set of dedicated winter wheels and real snow tires. This allows you to change them over yourself, in a few years you will recover the cost by saving the money you would spend to have the tire shop change them twice a year. It also protects your good "summer"wheels from the corrosion that will be caused by the road salt -- it will eventually get under the clear coat and spread like spider-webs.

If you watch your local Craig's List, you can probably pick up a set of used wheels and tires for cheap money. I have done it twice . . . OEM or aftermarket wheels with snow tires for $500 or less for the entire set.

Be aware of the TMPS sensors -- if you don't have them inside the tires, or if they are not compatible, the warning light will be on, on the dash.
ONEZ ST and crjackson2134 like this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

Last edited by JBert; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:21 PM. Reason: typo
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Photo: https://imgur.com/a/WRALHrM

I think it's currently running OHTSU performance tires. Can't tell the exact model off this picture but I am guessing it's an FP7000?

Says 235 50R18 97W M+S (mud and snow)

Trying to see how cheap a new set of winter/snow tires would be either new, or used off craigslist.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

that ""M+S" designation always baffled me; I don't think it actually means Mud and Snow though that does make sense by the letters . . . that does not look like a snow tire tread to me

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
that ""M+S" designation always baffled me; I don't think it actually means Mud and Snow though that does make sense by the letters . . . that does not look like a snow tire tread to me
https://www.sstire.com/tracy/decodin...s-designation/

Looks like it just has to meet the RMA guidelines to get the mud and snow designation on the tire.

The dealer said they're "performance" tires so I am guessing these are summer/normal tires and not all seasons.

They said it has 7mm tread left.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

If you are looking for the best tire deal with GREAT service,and the road hazzard included try tireeasy.com I have bought many tires from them,can't beat them. Good luck and keep us posted.
5.0 Coyote.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Looks like I will probably be buying a set of of Blizzak WS80's. $147 each on Tire Rack right now.

We actually just got out first day of snowfall in Minnesota, but real snow isn't here just yet...
crjackson2134 likes this.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Maybe Mush and Slush, but then again when I put snow tires on and was still living in Taxachusettes mine had studs.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Quote:
You will see that designation on all all season tires. A true winter tire will have the mountain snow flake designation.

Dave
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
You will see that designation on all all season tires. A true winter tire will have the mountain snow flake designation.

Dave
Is this for real?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page