Ford Mustang Forum banner

All seasons vs snow tires?

11K views 41 replies 13 participants last post by  Siber Express 
#1 ·
Hey all. Wanted to ask if anyone here is running their GT with all seasons in snowy part of the world. I'm located in Minnesota and want to know if I can make do with all seasons to save a good chunk of cash, or if it'll be too dangerous to drive. For what it's worth, I am a careful driver and I don't plan on hooning around or banging gears in the winter traffic and roads.

#4 ·
Here in PA we get a decent amount of snow, I run all seasons. But for anything more than an inch of snow you are going to want to get some snow tires, otherwise it is going to be fishtail city...

#5 ·
In my experience the best winter tire for the Mustang and other rear wheel performance cars is the Blizzak winter tire. Aftermarket rims and $300 a tire at most outlets gives you a good combo you can install during the peak snow season. I have a set of Conti DWS all seasons mounted on a spare set of rims for the Mustang and a set of Blizzak for the other car and the Blizzak is superior performing.

But to the OPs point - - can you run a GT in a snowy part of the world with all season tires and save some Benjamins. If my first sentence wasn't a hint how I would answer, my answer is yes. But if you drive a RWD car with All-Season tires in snow and ice - - just travel as fast as you fell comfortable crashing.

#7 · (Edited)
In my experience the best winter tire for the Mustang and other rear wheel performance cars is the Blizzak winter tire. Aftermarket rims and $300 a tire at most outlets gives you a good combo you can install during the peak snow season. . . . .
I second that -- if you are going to be driving the Mustang through the winter, it is well worth the cost to get a set of dedicated winter wheels and real snow tires. This allows you to change them over yourself, in a few years you will recover the cost by saving the money you would spend to have the tire shop change them twice a year. It also protects your good "summer"wheels from the corrosion that will be caused by the road salt -- it will eventually get under the clear coat and spread like spider-webs.

If you watch your local Craig's List, you can probably pick up a set of used wheels and tires for cheap money. I have done it twice . . . OEM or aftermarket wheels with snow tires for $500 or less for the entire set.

Be aware of the TMPS sensors -- if you don't have them inside the tires, or if they are not compatible, the warning light will be on, on the dash.

#9 ·
that ""M+S" designation always baffled me; I don't think it actually means Mud and Snow though that does make sense by the letters . . . that does not look like a snow tire tread to me

#17 ·
Looks like I will probably be buying a set of of Blizzak WS80's. $147 each on Tire Rack right now.

We actually just got out first day of snowfall in Minnesota, but real snow isn't here just yet... ;)
Shop around, I've found TR to bit high many times. As for wheels, go to junk yard or what we have, U PULL & PAY, they'll be much cheaper and perfect for snow tires, nothing fancy but practical.

#24 ·
I think you probably have 18" x 8" wide wheels, and if so 235/50-18 is probably a good size; or you might be able to go to a 225 tire in a higher aspect ratio

the original tire diameter was 27.2" ; you want snow tires that are the same or a little taller; look at the "specs" tab on tire rack to check the recommended rim width and the overall diameter

#26 ·
#34 ·
you can look them up on Tire Rack to get the details

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...HR8XI3XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

It says the rim width range is 6-8" so your wheels are on the wide end of the range; and overall diameter is 26.9" which is a little shorter than the original tires. So yes they will work, but something a little taller would be better, and now that I see the specs I think a 235 might be a little better on your 8" wheels, but as long as they are in range, they are OK. (I am guessing/assuming they are 8" wide, one way to know for sure is to take one off and look at the back of it, the size should be stamped on there)

Tire Rack has all the info you need, on the "specs" tab, so if you find any other candidates, you can look them up there.

#37 ·
I would also add about 100 lbs of weight. https://www.lesschwab.com/article/d...he-back-improve-my-cars-traction-in-snow.html. I drove a 2011 v6 with snow tires in the winter. Worked great.
Thanks for that :) I will get some sandbags. I imagine Home Depot / Lowe's type of places would be the best place?

Yes, a real winter tire will have the mountain with the snowflake in it to designate a snow specific tire that meets higher traction requirements.

Ah yes, I was watching some videos and reading about it and I think it's a certification symbol from the group (I forget the name now.)

I am trying to snag this set of Xi 3's. If I don't get them, I'll buy the Blizzak WS80's.

#38 ·
People have forgotten that that RWD is all we used to drive in Minnesota. Sand bags are a good idea. Try to get the tubes of sand as they will lay will drape over the over the top of the rear wheel housing in the truck. If those are not available get an old truck tire inner tube and cut it in half. Use a heavy wire to twist around one end to seal it. Buy some bags of play sand at the fleet farm store and fill them up then tie the other end off tightly. These will give you heavy duty flexible weight to lay over the wheel well in the trunk. In 1977 I bought a used 1966 mustang years when my wife and I needed a second car cheap. I drove all over the state for several winters and did not give it a thought. It was really a fun car in the snow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.