LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Ford Extended Warranty Question

So I am considering purchasing a extended warranty on my newly acquired 2012 GT500. Never really purchased extended warranties before, but this is an expensive 7-8 year old car and being a supercharged 5.4L motor I imagine it would be expensive to replace if something goes wrong. Not to mention the trans either....

So my question is I keep getting mixed info when I call the Ford warranty number. I am looking to get the most basic warranty called the PowertrainCARE. Of course it is vary vague on what is covered. 1 of them tells me if motor through a rod or what have you I would be covered the other says no I would need their top tier plan for that. Neither plan says it covers this. The trans is stated it is is fully covered by stating all internal parts are covered.

Anybody have experience with the a Ford extended warranty? Care to share experience with claims process, info on the plans, and anything related would be greatly appreciated.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

That's a tough one, I usually figure that they have it all figured out to make sure that they will make money and I'd rather take the gamble myself, but it could be worth the money for peace of mind.

I think you need to get the actual written warranty and read it; whatever it says in writing is what it is; "if it ain't in writing it doesn't exist"

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
That's a tough one, I usually figure that they have it all figured out to make sure that they will make money and I'd rather take the gamble myself, but it could be worth the money for peace of mind.

I think you need to get the actual written warranty and read it; whatever it says in writing is what it is; "if it ain't in writing it doesn't exist"
Yeah unfortunately the written info isn't clear and if I don't get clarity I am not wasting the 1K for 2yr/24K warranty...

As you said I am buying more for peace of mind, but if I don't know what is covered there isn't really any piece of mind so no need to buy. haha

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Another question to ask yourself,is this going to be my everyday car,am I going to track or race it,or is it going to be like my 2011 Mustang GT a garage queen,if it is the latter I would roll the dice and save the $$$.I went through the same thoughts when I bought my 2011 GT back in May of 2010,and decided against it, have not had one problem with the Mustang in the almost 10 years that I have owned it and 35,000 miles.Good luck with how ever you decide.
5.0 Coyote.
crjackson2134 likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Coyote View Post
Another question to ask yourself,is this going to be my everyday car,am I going to track or race it,or is it going to be like my 2011 Mustang GT a garage queen,if it is the latter I would roll the dice and save the $$$.I went through the same thoughts when I bought my 2011 GT back in May of 2010,and decided against it, have not had one problem with the Mustang in the almost 10 years that I have owned it and 35,000 miles.Good luck with how ever you decide.
5.0 Coyote.
It won't be my DD for say. Well the two cars I currently own aren't really DD cars in most peoples opinions, but I drive them as such. Plan to drive them both equally. I take my wife car on bad weather days and long trips for work or pleasure, but I drive a lot for pleasure. I like the idea of a pristine car, but find it to hard to look at and not take them out to enjoy them. haha Bit me hard when I sold the Boss 302 as with just over 50K miles it was one of the higher mileage listing in the country and brought one of the lowest prices one has sold for as well... I have 33K on the GT500 and hope to keep it below 50K in the next two years where if no issues arise I plan to sell as I usually do every two years and move on to the next Mustang. Although I might be at the end of the cycle as not sure what is above a GT500. GT350 was above the Boss 302, but couldn't justify the money. So this GT500 might be my long term pony hence why I am considering a warranty for the first time. Still unsure if right route to go. Part me says if something goes wrong build it back stronger and stronger and if this truly is the top for me then it won't be a waste of money to really build this car as parts fail over the next 10 years. haha
5.0 Coyote likes this.

Current Garage
2018 Honda Civic Type R
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
The exact warranty I am considering. I believe I am going to go with it honestly... 4yr/48K miles starting on date and miles of warranty. So coverage until 2023 or roughly 81K miles... Not bad really... They have 1-5 yr plans with 12000 miles per each year.
https://fordprotect.ford.com/powertraincare/

All the options. Mine is the far right orange one.
https://fordprotect.ford.com/extended-service-plan

These are Ford products offered from my understanding directly through Ford. I will say these prices offered by going direct are much better than those offered by the dealer for Ford warrantees or even the 3rd parties they offered me..

Just for reference of interest. Prices are roughly if I remember correctly. (I am sure it will be different depending on car, but just wanted to ball park them for anybody that later searches this thread to give a starting point to see if they are interested or not...)
Prices quoted are for their most basic plan...:
$940 2yr/24K miles
$1090 3yr/36K miles
$1349 4 yr/48K miles
$1700 5yr/60K miles

The lady I spoke with was very helpful and not pushy and didn't lie like the guy I talked to the other day. Well at least I hope this is the case. Hopefully she isn't the one lying to me and the other guy was just being honest. None the less I would recommend her if anybody is interested PM me for direct line and contact info. I will check with her when she calls back in a day or 2 to make sure she is ok with me sharing her direct line, but I bet they are commission and would love that.

Current Garage
2018 Honda Civic Type R
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Garage
I've had good experiences with FORD extended warranties. I just took my car to the dealer, and they handled all the contacts with the warranty division and repaired my vehicles. My particular experience was very good, as they covered several high price repairs that far exceeded the price of the warranties. I've had 3 warranties on three different vehicles. The last one was the EXTRACARE warranty(3 year 36,000), that I purchased from the dealer; after getting a price from lombardfordwarrantys.com. The dealer agreed to reduce their price to meet that of Lombard Ford. Lombard often run promotions that reduce the price of the warranties.

If you look at the PDF of the warranty coverage's, the circles for all the plan except the premium care are half-filled for the engine and transmission.
If I was purchasing a GT500 with a turbo charger, I would try my best to get the premium care warranty. I wouldn't want to take the risk of any repairs being in the half-circle that is not covered by the warranty.

Only you can determine how much risk you are willing to take, and how much money you have at your disposal. I've been there, and wish you the best in your decision making process.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by huberoy123 View Post
I've had good experiences with FORD extended warranties. I just took my car to the dealer, and they handled all the contacts with the warranty division and repaired my vehicles. My particular experience was very good, as they covered several high price repairs that far exceeded the price of the warranties. I've had 3 warranties on three different vehicles. The last one was the EXTRACARE warranty(3 year 36,000), that I purchased from the dealer; after getting a price from lombardfordwarrantys.com. The dealer agreed to reduce their price to meet that of Lombard Ford. Lombard often run promotions that reduce the price of the warranties.

If you look at the PDF of the warranty coverage's, the circles for all the plan except the premium care are half-filled for the engine and transmission.
If I was purchasing a GT500 with a turbo charger, I would try my best to get the premium care warranty. I wouldn't want to take the risk of any repairs being in the half-circle that is not covered by the warranty.

Only you can determine how much risk you are willing to take, and how much money you have at your disposal. I've been there, and wish you the best in your decision making process.
GT500 is supercharged not turbo, but either way the mot basic warranty states it covers both turbo or superchargers so long as they are factory installed which it is on the GT500 so all good there.

Wish I knew about the Lombard Ford before I bought the one I did. Do they sell Ford warranty or 3rd party?

Update: I really appreciate the info as I went this route and got the highest coverage warranty for only like $200 more than what I was paying for the lowest coverage warranty. Holy smokes that is a great deal to get more coverage for almost the same price. Thanks so much and if you are ever near me I defiantly owe you a drink good sir!

With that said anybody looking for a warranty should for certain start here as this is a great deal on a all Ford factory warranty. Can all be done online or over the phone. Be sure to put your email in and wait on the email as they sent me a discount code right away. Great experience if this all checks out. They like Ford do require a inspection.
huberoy123 likes this.

Current Garage
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page