2012 GT CS - Decent buy? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortymac83 View Post
Thanks all. I drove the ecoboost tonight. To be honest, it's kinda 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

The eco is a premium that's completely loaded, ticking all the boxes. Driving it was nice, it was quick, and it was a "pleasant" car to drive. I think I could be very happy with it for quite some time. It's 5 years newer, but has a bit over double the miles (at 30k). Also, at Carmax (where it's located), they give extended warranties that covers all major failure points.

The GT is a base model (except the CS package). It's not as optioned, but either one is a far step up from my current DD (a base model Outback). It's 5 years older, has no warranty available, but also only has 13k miles.

At this point, it's whether or not I can live without a V8 in quite possibly the only Mustang I'm going to ever buy, and whether or not I'm brave enough to buy a 7 year old car without warranty.
You do Realize that the California Special on the GT is the Top GT Package right.
It had radio and Nav options other than than that it was a top of the line Premium GT.
My 2013 bought in 2012 is 7 years old and has 78,000 miles on it and still beats up the Dodge RT's in the Mountains and it is only a V6.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

If anything, you could argue that it is not completely stock to try and drive the price down. It has tacky aftermarket headlights, tacky hood vinyl, decals and pin striping. Also the rear quarter window louvers are not stock along with the shorty antenna lol I've always had a soft spot for white California specials but if it's not under 20k OTD, it isnt worth it. It will be worth 18k as soon as you drive it off the lot.

Apprentice

Garage
To be honest, I feel its a little too expensive for a 2012 GT CS, but I don't really know where do you live(State) since you did not mention and that might has a lot to do with the price.

V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieGT View Post
If anything, you could argue that it is not completely stock to try and drive the price down. It has tacky aftermarket headlights, tacky hood vinyl, decals and pin striping. Also the rear quarter window louvers are not stock along with the shorty antenna lol I've always had a soft spot for white California specials but if it's not under 20k OTD, it isnt worth it. It will be worth 18k as soon as you drive it off the lot.
Great catch. I tolls like aftermarket chin spoiler as well. I wonder if any under the hood mods, suspension, exhaust, tunes, or what else might be modded that we can't see in this pic.

OP have you bought a car yet? If not and still considering the CS in the pic send some more pics of under the hood, suspension, exhaust, and interior to help us inform you of any other mods. I typically steer clear of modded cars as you never know if the person did more and took them off and as well typically a modded car is driven harder than one that is not... Not always the case, but always the thought!
5.0 Coyote likes this.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post
Great catch. I tolls like aftermarket chin spoiler as well. I wonder if any under the hood mods, suspension, exhaust, tunes, or what else might be modded that we can't see in this pic.

OP have you bought a car yet? If not and still considering the CS in the pic send some more pics of under the hood, suspension, exhaust, and interior to help us inform you of any other mods. I typically steer clear of modded cars as you never know if the person did more and took them off and as well typically a modded car is driven harder than one that is not... Not always the case, but always the thought!
That is the Stock GTCS Chin Spoiler. My 2010 with the stock CSGT Conversion with the Boss splitter on it.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
That is the Stock GTCS Chin Spoiler. My 2010 with the stock CSGT Conversion with the Boss splitter on it.
I stand corrected. I never noticed that, but I haven't seen many GT/CS in the 2011 and up body style. I saw a lot of the 2005-2009 and they I think didn't look much different than reg GT's right?

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9050 View Post
About a year ago someone sold a 12 supercharged GT base with 30K miles for $18,500 on one of these forums. IMO the car is overpriced, especially when I can get a new base GT under 30K. I wouldn't expect anymore than about $20K for my supercharged 14 GT in this market.
Sometimes is not easy to put a retail price on a car. The car you mentioned that listed last year for 18,500 would list for about the same this year with the same mileage. And that's a list price w/o the added value of the supercharger. So was it really overpriced when it still fell within the NADA private listing??

For example, lets look at your 2014 GT. I ran your car through NADA and if your car is a base GT and has 100,000 miles and is clean, it has a private retail value of $17,775. If it has 50,000 miles it would have a private retail of $20,400. Add the value for the supercharger and whatever additional add-ons you have and that should be the value you can start at and negotiate from there if selling it on the private market. If the car has been taken care of, driven responsibly, and has maintenance records it will sell for more than you think. At first glance this seems high. And when you compare it to a new GT you can get for $30,000 it does seem a little high. Now, go buy that new Base GT for $30,000 with a supercharger.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 GBNF
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold

Last edited by ONEZ ST; 11-30-2019 at 10:38 PM.
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Yeah the 2011+ 5.0 seemed to have taken the fast nose dive in value as any new car does, but after about year 4 or 5 they seem to bottom out and only go down slow as miles go up... I think this has to do with when I buy and sell. My friends always joke they never want to own the same car as me, but after I sell they are safe to buy whatever I sold as the value with stop going down and even maybe go up a little. I am cursed when it comes to car values. I bought my 2013 Boss 302 at what I and everybody around me thought was the bottom and guess what it dropped 7K in the little over 2 years I owned it. Now I am sure the fact I put just over 25K miles on it didn't help, but still. Now that I sold it looking back over a year the values seemed to have stayed the same or moved up a little. Story of my life... Hoping with the 12 GT500 I just bought the other month that trend ends as even the 07's seem to have bottomed out for a few years so hopefully all stays flat or goes up while I own it...

All that to say used car values are really in the eye of the beholder in this case the buyer. A object such as a car is only worth as much as somebody is willing to pay.

Current Garage
2018 Honda Civic Type R
PONY Member

Garage
v8 is the way to go

GO BIG OR GO HOME
5.0 coyote
BBK cold air intake
SCT tuner with 91 tune
roush axle back
Go BILLS

91 tune
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Well I bought the damn thing.

Turns out it isn't stock at all. PO put a long tube header and 4" exhaust system on it. Tuned it with a Bama system. Short throw shifter (which I knew about), and braced diff cover (still has the 3.55 gears in the rear end). Also, IDK if they're stock, but has "Ford Racing" valve covers on the engine.

Before I took possession of it, they replaced the headlights with stockers - the lights on it wouldn't light. Made for a hairy test drive at night.

I love the car - it's the tits. But the dealership is a bunch of assholes. I told them I wanted a stock tune on it. I was assured twice that the computer had been returned to stock - the thing was stock when I test drove it, and they couldn't sell it with a tune in it. After my first long drive, the CEL came on, and it kept tripping an O2 sensor code. I brought it back under warranty, the service department said that it hadn't been retuned to stock. So evidently they now returned the computer to stock. Got it back today. I don't know what that tune was supposed to do, but it shifts better, revs faster, pulls harder, sounds quieter, and is just easier to drive.

Bastards.

Otherwise, the thing is amazing. It's the definition of a grand touring car. It does 80mph all day long, and is flat out effortless to drive.

Y'all have a convert on your hands. But I'll never go to that stealership again for a car.

Also, before anyone comments - I've had grease under my nails since I was single digits - I worked on stuff with my dad. I was in the 12's with an Olds Delta 88 when I was 16 (bought the car at 14). I built the 4.7 in an 04 Grand Cherokee to make 400 whp. I've spent some time under the hood. But with a "new" car under warranty, I'm not messing with it. The stealers can work on it if it even sneezes funny. I understand the O2 sensors don't like to play with aftermarket exhaust, so it'll be interesting to see if it passes the emissions test I need to pass before January 13th...

ETA: I knew most of the changes that had been made to the car. The headers and full exhaust were a surprise - I thought it just had a cat back. Nope.
ONEZ ST likes this.

Last edited by shortymac83; 12-21-2019 at 10:05 AM.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortymac83 View Post
Well I bought the damn thing.

Turns out it isn't stock at all. PO put a long tube header and 4" exhaust system on it. Tuned it with a Bama system. Short throw shifter (which I knew about), and braced diff cover (still has the 3.55 gears in the rear end). Also, IDK if they're stock, but has "Ford Racing" valve covers on the engine.

. . . .. I told them I wanted a stock tune on it. I was assured twice that the computer had been returned to stock - the thing was stock when I test drove it, and they couldn't sell it with a tune in it. After my first long drive, the CEL came on, and it kept tripping an O2 sensor code. I brought it back under warranty, the service department said that it hadn't been retuned to stock.
. . . .. . . . I understand the O2 sensors don't like to play with aftermarket exhaust, so it'll be interesting to see if it passes the emissions test I need to pass before January 13th...

Nice, glad you like it!

I think it probably NEEDS a tune because of the LT headers; I would be surprised if it runs right with the factory tune. Not sure if it has catalytic converters, or if they were deleted when the headers were installed . . . either way I'm pretty sure the tune does need to be adjusted to correct for the changes to the O2 sensors and signals otherwise it will run crappy and/or throw codes.

I often wonder with dealerships "are they really that ignorant or are they lying on purpose" and I think in this case they might be ignorant. The dealers I have worked with around here seem to be completely clueless when it comes to modifications and the tunes that go with them.

Did you get the Bama tuner with it? If so, that should have the factory tune stored in it, and also the modified tunes that I think you are going to want/need.

Be prepared to have trouble with the emissions inspection . . .

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

I did get the bama tuner with it. After taking it back for the CEL, they said they did reset the computer to stock. Not sure about that, but it runs well on 87, doesn't throw a code, and appears to run better in general (i.e. driveability is much improved).

It does have cats on it, with 4 O2 sensors (two before and 2 after the cats).

If the damn thing doesn't pass emissions, it's going back to the dealer. I didn't get a warranty for nothing.

2012 Mustang GT CS
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

hmmmmm . . . the tuner should have the original factory tune on it, and you can reflash to stock using the tuner

Since you have the tuner, you can see for yourself what tune is loaded. Not sure which model tuner you have and don't know the specifics for that tuner, but generally when you hook up the tuner it will either prompt you to download the factory tune -- which means that the factory tune has not been previously downloaded to the tuner or the car was previously returned to stock using that tuner -- or it won't; which means that the factory tune is already stored in the tuner.

You could just hook up the tuner and see what it says, without doing anything and it might shed some light; also you can look in the tuner to see what tunes it has available. I wouldn't make any changes until I was clear exactly what is the situation, I'm not sure if the dealer had reflashed the car back to stock using a different device, how that might affect what the tuner is showing you.

I think the key for passing emissions will be to drive around a bit so the cats are good and hot before the test, also the tune has to be set up to pass emissions, there are some threads on here somewhere with the details of that but I forget exactly how it works.

or, like you say, just see what happens and go back to dealer if problems

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page