2012 GT CS - Decent buy? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

2012 GT CS - Decent buy?

Hey all -

I hate to be "that" guy asking about pricing, but here I am, asking about pricing.

I've been looking at newer (i.e. 2016-2018) Ecoboost mustangs. I'd love a V8, but the economy, price, 300 HP, and new suspension style kinda hits all my boxes.

So last night, I stopped by the dealership and saw this. It's a 2012 GT California Special with a touch over 12k miles. No rust, no obvious mechanical issues. They're asking for a touch under $24k. In talking with the salesman, he asked if I'd be interested at under $22k.

Is this a decent deal? KBB tells me that a GT with all the packages (minus the Cali special) sells at the dealership at about $21.5K.

What do you guys think?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191125_204707.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	607.1 KB
ID:	612359  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortymac83 View Post
Hey all -

I hate to be "that" guy asking about pricing, but here I am, asking about pricing.

I've been looking at newer (i.e. 2016-2018) Ecoboost mustangs. I'd love a V8, but the economy, price, 300 HP, and new suspension style kinda hits all my boxes.

So last night, I stopped by the dealership and saw this. It's a 2012 GT California Special with a touch over 12k miles. No rust, no obvious mechanical issues. They're asking for a touch under $24k. In talking with the salesman, he asked if I'd be interested at under $22k.

Is this a decent deal? KBB tells me that a GT with all the packages (minus the Cali special) sells at the dealership at about $21.5K.

What do you guys think?

For only 12K for miles that's a pretty good deal. I would definitely see if he would do $19K and maybe he could meet you in the middle

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Yeah that seems like a reasonable deal. I have been casually looking for a 2012 GT for a while and wanting to pay under $20K but they are few and far between. That is nice low mileage. I have seen some in the mid teens but they had 60K+ miles on them.
I think I would also push a bit on the price, $19K seems like a reasonable place to start like my89 suggested.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Hey all, thanks. The guy came down to under 22. I am going to look at a 2017 Ecoboost premium today (every option, manual trans, 30k miles, $20k). If that one isn't what I'm looking for (I've never driven the 4 banger), I'll see if I can't get him to do 22 including TTL. That would feel pretty good to me. This GT has no extras, except the CS package, so honestly as a daily, the EB may be the better option. That V8 though...

2012 Mustang GT CS
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019
Apprentice

That CS is a sweet looking car and that sound when you hammer it can't be beat. I'd be surprised to hear you went with the eco boost unless you really prefer the styling. I have a 14 GT and look back at it every time I get out of it. Keep us posted.
huberoy123 and crjackson2134 like this.

2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey, 6 Speed, 3:55 Gears, Comfort Group, GT500 AB, 3dCarbon Spoiler, JLT CC, Boss 302 Alcantara steering wheel, FRPP TrackCal, FRPP Brembos, FRPP Wheels
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks all. I drove the ecoboost tonight. To be honest, it's kinda 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

The eco is a premium that's completely loaded, ticking all the boxes. Driving it was nice, it was quick, and it was a "pleasant" car to drive. I think I could be very happy with it for quite some time. It's 5 years newer, but has a bit over double the miles (at 30k). Also, at Carmax (where it's located), they give extended warranties that covers all major failure points.

The GT is a base model (except the CS package). It's not as optioned, but either one is a far step up from my current DD (a base model Outback). It's 5 years older, has no warranty available, but also only has 13k miles.

At this point, it's whether or not I can live without a V8 in quite possibly the only Mustang I'm going to ever buy, and whether or not I'm brave enough to buy a 7 year old car without warranty.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
A Mustang should have a V8.
5.0 Coyote and crjackson2134 like this.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019
PONY Member

Garage
What dealership are you buying it from, that is not offering you the option for an extended warranty? I purchased a 2006 Mustang GT from a dealership with 99,000 miles on it about 3 years ago, and the dealership offered a ford motor company extended warranty. Just Curious as to why there is no warranty available.
crjackson2134 likes this.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

There was none offered. If I do go through with the purchase, that would be a requirement of buying it though. It's at a Ford dealership, so I'd assume one is available, they just didn't mention it.
huberoy123 likes this.

2012 Mustang GT CS
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortymac83 View Post
There was none offered. If I do go through with the purchase, that would be a requirement of buying it though. It's at a Ford dealership, so I'd assume one is available, they just didn't mention it.

Thanks. Happy Thanksgiving.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

PONY Member

Most dealerships offer the warranties at the business office when you do all the paperwork and finalize the deal. It is not part of the negotiation process.

GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Everything is part of the negotiation process. The asking price. The dealer paperwork fees. The dealer add-ons. The gap insurance. The separate warranties (manufacture or aftermarket) for the mechanicals, wheels road damage, and body ding repairs. And the interest rate if financed. Anything is negotiable.

New or used, the dealership will tag team the client from start to finish in an attempt to bleed them dry.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
GT Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Garage
IMHO they are 2 completely different cars on 2 different platforms. the 12' is an S197 with 425 HP V8, 6 speed, with solid rear axle. the 15'-18' are an S550 chassis with independent rear suspension and upgraded interior. TBH the 12' would call to me. with the extra HP and available upgrades so you choose (yes, the S550 has those as well) would be a great car for a DD. other costs such as insurance, gas mileage would come into play as well. pick the one you enjoy driving more and haggle the **** out of the price, especially if your in no hurry to purchase. good luck

Lots of bolt on goodies...
PONY Member

About a year ago someone sold a 12 supercharged GT base with 30K miles for $18,500 on one of these forums. IMO the car is overpriced, especially when I can get a new base GT under 30K. I wouldn't expect anymore than about $20K for my supercharged 14 GT in this market.

2014 Sterling gray GT 6M
Paxton Novi 2200 with torque booser and Lund tune, DW1000 injectors, JMS BAP, ATI damper
Lethal ORP, MGW shifter, BMR upper and lowers, Spicer 1 piece DS, Ram Single disk clutch with aluminum flywheel, Power leather seat conversion. Staggered wheels.
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Not a terrible price for a GT/CS with that low miles, but sure wouldn't hurt to get it as close to 20K OTD as you can. With low miles like that hard to nail down whats a good deal as there are so few with that low miles... The GT/CS I think comes with little way to add options. The come well equipped at a a premium package car and custom leather seats.

As far as warrant don't buy direct from dealer. There are a couple dealers that sell the FORD warranty for cost. Cheaper than buying direct through FORD actually and thousands less than most dealers will sell the FORD warranty or even the 3rd party ones. I just bought a 4yr/48K warranty on my GT500. Saved about 2K off what local dealer wanted for same warranty and about 1K off what FORD direct wanted. Unbelievable and I have all the paperwork in hand and it is legit. A member on here gave me the info to use. PM me and I will be happy to share or search my latest warranty thread. I would post, but don't have time to look it up at the moment.

huberoy123 and crjackson2134 like this.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page